Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Battery life for intelligent key?

carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576
edited March 2016 in Nissan
We have had our 2014 Rogue for 18 months and 8,000 miles. The intelligent key my wife (primary driver) uses caused the warning display that key not identified. There is a different warning for battery dying. It did it two days in a row and both times took key out of pocket and held it close to start button and it worked.
She took it to dealer and he said key battery was dying as they only last about 18 monhts. Replaced battery for $6.50.
Does the battery really only last 18 months?
Most disturbing to me is that the warning was NOT for battery dying, but for "wrong" key.

Comments

• Options
    carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576
    Rep. from Customer Assistance stated that a low battery might activate the Key ID warning rather than the low battery warning. Anyway, fob with new battery seems to be working fine. Would prefer an old fashioned key that just starts car and opens doors.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    edited March 2016

Rep. from Customer Assistance stated that a low battery might activate the Key ID warning rather than the low battery warning. Anyway, fob with new battery seems to be working fine. Would prefer an old fashioned key that just starts car and opens doors.

On our Infiniti, we had to replace fob batteries at least once, in the three years we had it.

IIRC, once you learn how to open it up, you can find replacement batteries at Radio Shack (or, whoever does that sort of thing, now).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    rcdoc_2018rcdoc_2018 Member Posts: 3
    my fob battery would last aprox 2 years. it also depends on quality of battery used.