Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Should I file a claim with insurance for a minor scratch on the bumper?

harrypsharryps Member Posts: 4
edited March 2016 in Honda

My two month old Honda CRV was hit today on the rear bumper by another car while the other driver was backing up. I did not see any major damage except there is a minor (about a half inch long) scratch. It was his fault and he shared his insurance information but he was asking not to claim for insurance since it was only a minor scratch on the plastic bumper.

Please suggest me if this scratch is a big deal. How much would it cost approximately if I decide to repair it out of pocket? Is it a good idea to file a claim with his insurance even for such a minor scratch?

Photo attached.
Thanks.

Comments

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    I wouldn't, any claim on insurance can result in rate increases. This just needs a touch of paint, you can buy some with a built-brush from the dealer in your car's exact color.
  • harrypsharryps Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2016
    Thanks for the reply. But does my insurance rate increases if I file the claim to the other driver's insurance?

He accepts that it is his fault,and he has shared his insurance information.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    harryps said:

Thanks for the reply. But does my insurance rate increases if I file the claim to the other driver's insurance?

He accepts that it is his fault,and he has shared his insurance information.

Why don't you find out the cost to repair, and ask him if he wants to reimburse you directly?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited March 2016
    He is not willing to reimburse directly. The only option I have is claim on his insurance, or pay on my own. So, my question is: is it worthwhile to make such a claim on his insurance? Will it affect my own insurance rate?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    harryps said:

He is not willing to reimburse directly. The only option I have is claim on his insurance, or pay on my own. So, my question is: is it worthwhile to make such a claim on his insurance? Will it affect my own insurance rate?

It shouldn't affect your insurance rate, as long as you don't ask your insurance company to pay for it, if his won't. Of course, your deductible is probably more than the damage, so that wouldn't make any sense, anyway.

So, he asked you not to claim it, but didn't offer to pay for it? Wow.. ballsy.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited March 2016
    Thanks.
    He thought it would cost only about $20 and perhaps would pay that amount if I had pressured him to pay. My guess is that it might cost a couple of hundred dollars, but not sure. I think I will bring my car to a body shop and see how much it will cost to repair.

If I make a claim on his insurance and repair on the cost of his insurance company, does it create a record in vehicle history (like carfax)?? If so, I will just let this go because any such record might reduce the value of the car, right?
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    I'd much rather put a dab of touchup paint on that then risk having a poorly-matched respray of a larger area.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Of course he thinks you can get it fixed for 20.00! You can't get ANYTHING fixed for that!

If he has insurance they should pay to fix it. Any quality body shop can do an excellent job of matching the color.

One thing....something this miniscule CAN show up on a Car Fax as "AN ACCIDENT"

If it were me, I would go to my local dealer and buy a small bottle of touch up paint. Apply just a little tiny bit, let it dry and add a second application. This is too small of a scratch to get rattled over.