Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

5 speed transmission question

hitch2016hitch2016 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2016 in Ford
I have a 1989 Ranger 2.3 with a 5 spd trans. thats hard to shift to 5th gear & jumps out of reverse. My question is will a trans. out of a 1996 Ranger 2.5 with a 5spd fit my truck. Both are 2 wheel drive.

Answers

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited March 2016
    I don't have an Interchange Book so can't say for sure, but the two trucks are different generations. The earlier generation (yours) used a variety of transmission, while the later general (your donor truck) seems to have only used the Mazda M5OD R-1.

So if both your transmissions are the M5OD then you might be in luck. You'll have to identify what transmission you have in the '89.

Some tip-offs are that the M5OD has an internal hydraulic slave cylinder (not attached to the outside) and an integral bell housing.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,700
    Before swapping transmissions, have you had the shift linkage and its alignment checked? Sometimes a bushing can wear out, or something else happens that interferes with proper gear engagement.
  • hitch2016hitch2016 Member Posts: 3
    I did'nt know it had any adjustments.Where do you look.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,700
    edited March 2016
    I googled it, there is a bushing repair kit for some of them. Check out the first two videos, see if they're yours:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muI1FSac_q0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9vow60baZo
  • hitch2016hitch2016 Member Posts: 3
    I tried that no change.
  • khristopher3khristopher3 Member Posts: 2
    So i have a 97 ford ranger 5 speed 4cylinder whenever i start my truck it dies i was told that my transmission was goin out or my clutch is slipping i have to keep starting it up while pressing on the gas. Can someone help me 
  • zippy99zippy99 Member Posts: 17
    edited October 2017
    Do this test on an empty street. Press the clutch pedal then start the truck. Put gear shift in 1st gear then let go of the clutch pedal. The engine should stall right away if the clutch is good.If the truck doesn't slall, you need a new clutch.
  • khristopher3khristopher3 Member Posts: 2
    I did and the truck didnt go till third or fourth time startings up and rhanks for the info