Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Considering 2016 Legacy Limited

easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
edited March 2016 in Subaru
My wife has had a couple of Subies in the way past but 3 years ago she traded in a 2004 Lexus RX 330 and got a 2013 Outback. At the time I was in a 2010 Legacy. My Legacy (first year CVT) was great, good handling, mileage etc. We've not been happy with the Outback, primarily the transmission but as we've gotten older the rear visibility in the Outback leaves something to be desired. A lot of the problem is her failure to fully turn her head, so not the car's fault, but still.

The transmission has the slooooow response from when you put it in gear after backing out of the driveway. It takes a second or so to engage. Several others who also have that year have that problem and the dealer has always said; "they all do that". We drove a 2015 last year and liked it, transmission was good, but weren't really looking then.

Anyone else on here gone from a 2013 or so Legacy/Outback to the 2015 or 2016? If so, how do you like the change?

We're in Northern Colorado and have a great dealer in our town, Loveland Subaru, where we bought the Legacy and Outback and have gotten good discounts both times. We'll probably put the eyesight and related packages on it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

easypar

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,826
    easypar said:

My wife has had a couple of Subies in the way past but 3 years ago she traded in a 2004 Lexus RX 330 and got a 2013 Outback. At the time I was in a 2010 Legacy. My Legacy (first year CVT) was great, good handling, mileage etc. We've not been happy with the Outback, primarily the transmission but as we've gotten older the rear visibility in the Outback leaves something to be desired. A lot of the problem is her failure to fully turn her head, so not the car's fault, but still.

The transmission has the slooooow response from when you put it in gear after backing out of the driveway. It takes a second or so to engage. Several others who also have that year have that problem and the dealer has always said; "they all do that". We drove a 2015 last year and liked it, transmission was good, but weren't really looking then.

Anyone else on here gone from a 2013 or so Legacy/Outback to the 2015 or 2016? If so, how do you like the change?

We're in Northern Colorado and have a great dealer in our town, Loveland Subaru, where we bought the Legacy and Outback and have gotten good discounts both times. We'll probably put the eyesight and related packages on it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

easypar

We have some members that own these vehicles. Let's see if we can scare them up. @michaell @nyccarguy

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    edited March 2016
    easypar said:

easypar

The dealer is right. You'll realize it's not an issue when you understand the mechanics of this system.

• easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
    CMHJ, I'm not doubting the dealer's word on it. It's just annoying as heck for me. I didn't notice it on the 2015 that I drove but I don't remember for certain. That would be a deal killer for me.
  • personatechpersonatech Member Posts: 105
    I've noticed the same transmission behavior in my 2017 Legacy Limited 2.5i. It takes about half a second for the CVT clutch to switch between reverse to drive. If that's a 'deal breaker' for you, perhaps the beefed-up CVT in the 3.6R behaves differently. I've got to ask, though, whether you ever shifted from reverse to drive on the '15 test drive? Also, for what it's worth, I don't think I experience the same behavior when shifting from drive to reverse.