Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tracker sluggish and backfires

highwayjhighwayj Member Posts: 3
edited March 2016 in Chevrolet
1990 Tracker 1.6L 8v.. Backfires, Sluggish and Hesitates. RPM surge when brake peddle is applied. COde 21, 23. ...Hello everyone. I recently bought a 1990 Tracker cheap. Seems like it wants to run well but has some challenges I dont understand. Ran SeaFoam and fuel cleaner 3 weeks ago. It helped improve the hesitation but seems to have made the backfire worse.

I am about to change plugs, wires, cap. Cant find a vac leak yet but will continue to look. Does anyone have any ideas on what to look for and do before I begin. What else could it be. How do I make my Tracker the best Tracker it can be? BTW, I am not the most mechanically savvy person around but can follow instructions.

Thank you in advance, Have an awesome day!

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Why don't you start with a compression test?

As for finding vacuum leaks, it might be your brake booster? Have you checked that? You might disconnect the vacuum line to the brake booster and examine it for brake fluid inside, as well as making sure it's got a tight seal to the booster.

And of course, your idea for doing a basic tune up might take care of the problem. Forget additives. You can't fix a problem this bad from a can.
  • highwayjhighwayj Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the suggestions. I completed a compression test. 95, 90,115,95 psi... Its suppose to be around 120-150. hmm. The engine still seems like it has some power to utilize. has hesitation when I hit the gas. Wondering if its the timing belt. IS that my next step? Is the engine hopeless?

I also completed changing the cap, rotor, wires, plugs. Boy o boy did they need it. (I might post some pics of the plugs, so bad). Afterwords the Tracker had more power and stopped backfiring. Overall felt much better but still room for improvements.

Any suggestions on how to approach this issue from this point?

Thank you for your help
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Have you done a fuel filter lately? Also, have you tried some really strong fuel injection cleaner---I don't mean the wimpy stuff you get at supermarkets.

THIS IS GOOD STUFF