Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Steering Problems

2»

Comments

• vmcbridevmcbride Member Posts: 2
    remove the pressure hose next to the hydra booster. if there is a white tube sticking out of ther hose, replace the hose. this tube dislodges from the hose and comes forward to block off the passage causing the hiss sound you are talking about
  • vmcbridevmcbride Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2011 ram 2500, the power steering works when cold after driving 20 min or so it quits working. the resevoir on the pump melted. i have put on 5 pumps in the last month.

i removed all radiators , charge air coolers etc and cleaned them to remove dirt and mud, grass seed etc.
    installed a gearbox and a hydrabooster , still have the same problems , it keeps burning up the pump
  • jr152jr152 Member Posts: 2
    hey there, I would really appreciate some info on what fixed the problem with your truck, I took my 2007 ram mega cab 4x4 in for an alignment, changed out tie rods and ball joints. then.... I drove away from the shop and I have to fight my truck to make half a right turn. it turns left with no problem but making a right is almost impossible. please send info on your fix. im going nuts over here taking it to different shops and none of them can diagnose the problem. thanks....
  • jr152jr152 Member Posts: 2
    hey there, I would really appreciate some info on what fixed the problem with your truck, I took my 2007 ram mega cab 4x4 in for an alignment, changed out tie rods and ball joints. then.... I drove away from the shop and I have to fight my truck to make half a right turn. it turns left with no problem but making a right is almost impossible. please send info on your fix. im going nuts over here taking it to different shops and none of them can diagnose the problem. thanks....
  • pocketchangepocketchange Member Posts: 5
    You have pin pointed your issue. Locate a qualified tech/shop. There are any number of issues that may be possible. Running them down will be easier for a tech than second guessing them here.
    pc
  • acolleryacollery Member Posts: 2
    Dime bag,
    I took my truck to a private garage who replaced the ball joints with some Mopar ball joints. That's when the problem seemed to get worse. Then I took my truck to to a Dodge Dealership and they replaced the steering box. The truck drove close to normal for about three minutes so we realized it wasn't the steering box. The steering box did make things slightly better though. In the end we replaced the Mopar ball joints on both sides with stock Dodge ball joints and that seemed to fix 99% of the issue. My truck's steering still feels a bit goofy to me but not like it was. My overall impression is that in order to really fix the problem I'd need to buy another brand of truck.
    Good luck!
  • jgree212jgree212 Member Posts: 1
    Same issue. Did u ever figure it out?
  • pocketchangepocketchange Member Posts: 5
    Any chance that one of the hubs is starting to go away??
  • 96cummins778496cummins7784 Member Posts: 1

Hey am new on this forum...I bought a 96 dodge cummins last week 

And the truck has steering problems so I did put on new power steering pump and still the same but i noticed tha the fluid in the pump did not move so I shoul put new gear box or what please any help thank very much...
  • roland1969roland1969 Member Posts: 1
    I have a2005 dodge ram2500 while driving it darts from side to side I just put new tires on it and it didn't do it before any help would be appreciated
  • blex1738blex1738 Member Posts: 1
    roncderu said:

I have a 99 Ram 2500 Cummins. Been suffering the death wobble for almost 2 years. Dodge Burlington, WA. can not figure it out. New gear box, new tie rod ends, new upper and lower ball joints, new stabilizer and a host of other things. $3000 later and there is no solution. I'm very unhappy with Dodge. Any body hear of this on any other OEM? I love the Cummins but I'm disgusted with this steering issue. I can't drive it like this. Even the mechanic freaked out when he drove it. I'm at a loss.

Hey man i had the same problem with my 2008 dodge ram 2500 6.7l, feels like a crazy roller coaster going down the highway and scary as hell, but i fixed it with a steering stabilizer bar, about 2 to 300 dollars i got mine from hellbent steel, although it fixes the problem dodges engineers need to be fired for making one of the worse suspension systems iv ever driven, i also replaced the ball joints with carli engineering ones although they are expensive they are guaranteed for life.
  • bodinkbodink Member Posts: 1
    2001 thru 2007 dodge ram tie rod assembly is a dangerous joke and should be upgraded with a new one instead of the original that allows the tow in to change whenever you hit a bump, are turning a corner or hit with a gust of wind like from a passing vehicle. dodge knows of the problem, but will never admit it, I can not believe that the national transportation people have not forced this fix...any time the rig sways or any angle change makes is impossible to stay in your lane. it is like driving a boat with the prop barely in the water and trying to steer. herding instead of controlling, way worse when towing or loaded