Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Can I cancel my lease with VW after the diesel scandal?

2»

Comments

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Oh, definitely not. And I think there's probably punitive damage here for the folks with the lease. I just don't see that they've been financially damaged. A buyer has, for sure.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Either way, the average consumer doesn't stand much chance of any meaningful recovery. If you have deep pockets, then yeah, maybe. But then you would likely wouldn't be driving a Passat TDI eh?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,228
    stever said:

Either way, the average consumer doesn't stand much chance of any meaningful recovery. If you have deep pockets, then yeah, maybe. But then you would likely wouldn't be driving a Passat TDI eh?

Well.. that was my point. :p

Sure looks like VW is going to be on the hook for individual compensation, though whether a lessee could participate in that is doubtful. I'm sure that will be part of a settlement with the government, along with the massive multi-billion dollar fines.

It amazes me the number of vehicles just sitting on back lots and distribution centers. The losses must be tremendous. If I were an owner, I'd worry more about how my car drives after the "fix", than anything else.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I'm really curious what kind of distinction the courts will make between owners and lessees when it does come to damages.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    My limited understanding is that you'd have to prove you were "aggrieved" or diminished in some way. Since you can't be aggrieved financially on a lease, I guess you'd have to claim----what?---loss of use perhaps, due to reluctance to "pollute"? Or loss of use if the car is to be laid up for extensive repairs/retrofitting?

Seems to me leasees don't have a real strong case unless they are somehow given special consideration in a settlement agreement---that seems their best shot.

I suppose you could aggressively petition the leasing institution to work out a deal for premature return--basically letting you off the hook for perhaps a turn-in fee.

• Options
    Well, you lease a car for the temporary use and enjoyment of it. Now people are leaving nasty notes on your TDI's windshield and your 8 year old daughter just developed asthma.

What say you Judge Judy? :p
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    She's say "OH COMOFFIT!"

I think the best strategy for the moment is for the VW TDI owner to sit tight until VW works something out with the Feds.
  • Options
    carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    Solution for avoiding people leaving nasty notes on your car is to pry off the TDI sticker and put a eco-green sticker on the faded paint B)B)
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    A national publication is looking to hear your stories about recall headaches, including difficulties with dealers, wait times or loaner cars. If you're willing to assist, please contact pr@edmunds.com by no later than Thursday, April 21 2016.
  • Options
    gsrbeetlegsrbeetle Member Posts: 1
    In 2014 I leased a Pssat Diesel it wasn't what the told me the performance was less than expected throttle lag was a problem in Jan 2015 I ask to be released from my lease they said the only way out was to pay the lease off I found another car and payed the remainder of the lease and turned the car in they told me that I turned the carn early before sept 18, 2015 and didn't qualify even though I would have had the car into 2016 I think this is a way to disqualify people from collecting what is owed them any suggestions thanks