Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Getting the Infotainment System Updated - 2016 Honda Pilot Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2016 in Honda
imageGetting the Infotainment System Updated - 2016 Honda Pilot Long-Term Road Test

We brought our 2016 Honda Pilot to the dealer to get its navigation system updated per technical service bulletin 15-072.

Read the full story here

Comments

• s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    had that experience at the mazda dealership recently. they had a computer snafu and the service adviser got caught up with that. two hrs for an oil change... i walked up and he apologized and said it had been done and the car was ready.

to their credit they gave me the oil change for free.
  • miata52miata52 Member Posts: 114
    I don't understand why an owner can't do this himself. Download a file, put it on a thumb drive, and plug it into the dash. ANYTHING to save a trip to the dealer.
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    miata52 said:

I don't understand why an owner can't do this himself. Download a file, put it on a thumb drive, and plug it into the dash. ANYTHING to save a trip to the dealer.

Especially when they did not really get a warm fuzzy from this service department last time.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Why bother with a USB stick? Just wifi it to the car and do one of those Tuesday night updates at 2 am, like Microsoft does. And some other company. Who was that...

Oh yeah, Tesla. Wifi and/or 3G iirc.
  • g35bufg35buf Member Posts: 89
    FCA usually gives you the option to reflash Uconnect updates yourself - if you want to avoid a waste of time at the dealer...The instructions are good to cover novice users...A nice option to have...
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Certainly you would think its in Honda's best interest to save not only consumer's time, but the cost of them paying the dealers to update the firmware. Spend some development time and get it done. Obviously, you already have a way systematically to update it, so just have the system download it and run it. Benefits all and allows you to release more frequent updates without worry about cost and logistics.
  • tom_in_mntom_in_mn Member Posts: 61
    My Highlander updates the info system while driving over my cell. Won't let you select an address from the screen while moving, but will update the whole thing. Go figure.
  • willin58willin58 Member Posts: 38
    edited April 2016
    "To save myself from a three-hour round-trip office commute, I took the offer"

A full 12.5% of every weekday spent slogging through traffic? 15 hour a week... no thanks.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    A couple of sentences about how the system worked after the update would've been nice.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745

Obviously, you already have a way systematically to update it, so just have the system download it and run it. Benefits all and allows you to release more frequent updates without worry about cost and logistics.

No worries? Plan to revisit this the first time someone manages to upload some malware into a vehicle.