Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

White Plastic Has Got To Go - 2016 Toyota Prius Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2017 in Toyota
White Plastic Has Got To Go - 2016 Toyota Prius Long-Term Road Test

The styling on the new 2016 Toyota Prius is certainly controversial, but it may not be the worst aesthetic attribute on this super-efficient hybrid.

Read the full story here

Comments

• adamb1adamb1 Member Posts: 122
    Gack! I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.
  • iamthestigiamthestig Member Posts: 85
    I would feel the need to remove the white plastic trim and have it painted, either silver or even body color.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Ugh. Who thought that was a good idea?
  • thepuffthepuff Member Posts: 87
    Once people became loyalists to these things it really does;t matter what Toyota does going forward...people will still buy them. Make them cheap, make them ugly, make them underwhelming or unreliable, raise the price...no big deal...the money keeps flowing in because it says "Prius." Our current political and social climate proves this public demeanor.
  • willin58willin58 Member Posts: 38
    White trim was a terrible idea in the 1st gen Volt and it's a terrible idea here as well.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2016
    It's awful in person too, and the console takes up a bit more of my knee room than the last generation did.

The salesperson who demo'd the '16 for us thought that some aftermarket consoles/covers were already out there too to hide the bathroom sink in the Prius.

But a rattle can of plastic paint should do the trick fine, at least on the console section if not the facia parts, as @iamthestig notes.

Remember how big aftermarket woodgrain plood and carbon dash kits were a decade ago? They'll enjoy a comeback if this porcelain trend keeps up.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021

Ugh. Who thought that was a good idea?

Someone who can't get past the idea that the original white iPhone = high tech looking
  • uncanny_manuncanny_man Member Posts: 11
    Don't worry, I'm sure it will yellow over a year in the California sun.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    It is really inexplicable that Toyota would have tried to copy some interior design cues from the 1st generation Volt. From the minute the Volt came out, people criticized the white interior bits. Nobody else copied this and the new Volt dropped it as well. Why would Toyota choose to include it?
  • lmbvettelmbvette Member Posts: 93
    willin58 said:

White trim was a terrible idea in the 1st gen Volt and it's a terrible idea here as well.

I disagree. I had the white interior in the Volt and loved it. It wasn't just trim, either.

http://www.carreviewsoup.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Volt-int.jpg
    Don't worry about what other people think. Drive what makes you happy.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    I understand how designers like to push the limit and have unique ideas, they are artist after all. But how did upper management look at this and approve it for production? Toyota has gotten criticized so much about bland styling they probably have reduced the oversight of the design department and now allow most designs into production as long as engineering can make it happen and accounting's heads don't explode.
  • csubowtiecsubowtie Member Posts: 143
    So this car is hideous on the inside too. Toyota should understand that not everybody who buys a prius loves anime.
  • id19id19 Member Posts: 7
    Water transfer printing would be a solution.
  • carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    One could pee in it if stuck in a traffic jam and needed to urgently :)
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    edited April 2016
    carboy21 said:

One could pee in it if stuck in a traffic jam and needed to urgently :)

It looks like a Turkish squat toilet. Google it! Or see here: http://ramblecrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Squat-toilet.jpg

The lower console [non-permissible content removed] appliqué is necessary!
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    Did not realize American Standard was a first-tier Toyota OEM.

First the boomerang-theme exterior, now this. What mojo is Toyota trying to channel for their hybrids?
  • jonnymugjonnymug Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2017
    Apparently none of you guys live in the desert where it's currently 123 degrees? That "white plastic" makes a HELL of a difference to the interior temperature in the cabin vehicle. Thanks Toyota.