Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1999 VW Beetle

katyandrewkatyandrew Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Volkswagen
I purchased my '99 Beetle at the end of December
and have put only 2,000 miles on the GLS Bug.A
problem developed in the ignition on June 13.I took
the car to my dealer and they diognosed the
problem as a bad ignition switch.They ordered the
replacement part on June 14.They called on June 15
and said the part was in at the dealer.I took the
car back and later that day they called and told me
VW sent the wrong ignition switch.They re-ordered
the part June 15.Today is June 23 and they have not
gotten the correct part from VW.I was told it
would take 10-21 days to get the part from VW.Has
anyone else had this problem with VW?
I have called VW customer service and have
E-mailed VW but I have still not gotten the correct
part.

Comments

• bitabita Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a brand new 99 golf GTI in September. The wheel (rim)of my car recently cracked! The car only has 10K miles on it, but the deatler is blaming my driving and potholes in the road. THe meahcanics that I have gone to tell me that I should not accept that. I myself have never heard of anyone having a cracked rim... should I contact VW? I am very upset with the way the dealership dealt with me - and have sworn never to return there.

Has anyone else heard of a cracked rim? Does anyone have any advice for me. After all, the car is still covered under warranty, and I feel that the rim was a defect.
  • srodersroder Member Posts: 2
    I would like to hear from anyone having a TDI engine in their bug. I am considering purchasing one, but want to hear your experiences with this engine?
  • srodersroder Member Posts: 2
    I would like to hear from anyone having a TDI engine in their bug. I am considering purchasing one, but want to hear your experiences with this engine? [email protected]
  • apollo2apollo2 Member Posts: 1
    Check out Fred's TDI Page for information on TDI's. I don't have the web site, just do a search and you'll find it easily. There is a lot of good information there, including forums on various TDI topics.
  • spokanespokane Member Posts: 514
    Yes, cracked wheels are not rare. This failure can be the result of a manufacturing defect or damage from hitting a pothole or some sizeable object in the road.

Even if you drive so aggressively that your tire life is poor, the dealer is wrong to blame your "driving habits."

I believe you will be on firm ground to hold the manufacturer responsible for the replacement if there is no physical evidence of wheel denting, abrasion, or other external evidence of mechanical abuse which could have initiated the cracking. These points apply to both aluminum and steel wheels. If your tires are seen to be free of scuffing, point this out as it can only strengthen your argument.

The cracked wheel is likely to be a safety hazard so please don't let the administrative problems delay you in getting it replaced.

Assuming you do not have evidence of damage from your driving, I suggest you calmly explain the situation in the above terms to the VW zone office, requesting they provide they replacement. Don't say anything too harsh to the local dealer because the zone office will surely require you to get the replacement through that dealer. Good luck; let us know how it goes.
  • vanes75vanes75 Member Posts: 1
    I was thinking about Purchasing a beetle, before I decide, I need to find out more information about this car.
  • andreawildeandreawilde Member Posts: 1
    Looking into the GLS and want to know if anyone's spent any extended (say one hour or more) time in the back seat of these buggers.
    For that matter, my boyfriend who is 6'2" wonders about the leg room up front. Any comments? I'd love to here them. Including performance comments on the GLS. Thanks!
  • elainebearelainebear Member Posts: 17
    the seats are comfortable so that's not a problem, the problem is that I am 5' and I have trouble with head room... it is extremely poor, but if you have shorties (I'd say 4'10" and under) it should be fine. As for a tall person, my sister's friend is 6'1" and has no trouble with headroom or leg room in the front. My sister has a GLS and loves it. Though it's not as peppy as some cars out there, it is at least average and she says it is great on the Highway. Another thing that I will have to complain about is that my fiance and I think the ride is bumpy, but I haven't heard others complain about that. I hope I helped a bit.
  • stepheristepheri Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I have owned a Beetle GLS for about
    6 months and love it! As far as room goes...in
    the back, I'm 5'4" and have ridden in the back for
    about 2 1/2 hours. I do have to agree that there
    is not a lot of head room in the back, but if it
    were a shorter person or a child...no problem. As
    for front seat room...my husband is 6'4" and has no complaints about feeling "cramped". Hope this helps. :)
  • tntjacksontntjackson Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone bought the new turbo yet? With the luxury package? If so where and what kind of pricing did you get?

tntjackson
  • bug4pegbug4peg Member Posts: 15
    tntjackson --
    I have a yellow gas turbo on order, auto, cd changer, luxury package ... $22,500. MSRP for the most part, the dealer has a $495 dealer prep (I'm not sure what I'm getting there) but they are installing the cd changer. I'm purchasing from Miller VW in Winchester VA. Good luck!
    I hate to break it to you but the dealer prep charge is just extra money for them. I also wouldn't let them install the CD changer because you can get them for $300 or less from the dealers merchandise department and install it yourself, it is really easy to do. So watch out and don't pay for those bogus extras.
  • gusgus Member Posts: 254
    Please discuss all non-maintenance features of the '99 Beetle, including financing and option packages in any one of the existing Beetle Topics in other conferences. Please save this topic for maintenance-related issues.

Thanks,
    Gus
    Conference Host
  • dhoffdhoff Member Posts: 282
    Tntjackson, andreawilde and any others looking for in depth information & discussion on VWs, you should check out this site:

www.vwvortex.com

You will find test reports and lively discussion forums about all VW and some Audi models. Lots of good information to be had there (although the forums are down right now, they are having server troubles).

Dave
  • robert41robert41 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks apollo2! Anyone else interested in the TDI engines, the site is: tdi.abahn.bc.ca
  • rahurahu Member Posts: 1
    I am being quoted an on road cost for 1999 beetle as 24 K can anyone let me kow what should be the exact price
    24K? You're about to be ripped off. Check the prices here on Edmunds, even the top of the line, leather and all isn't that much. Good luck!
    The new turboniums are going for about that cost... they are new and it is sickening to think they overcharge so much. For the GLS 4banger, expect to pay MSRP and not much less. Of course this depends on where you live. Normally go with what Edmunds says but not for this cute machine.
  • shfullershfuller Member Posts: 1
    I'd be interested in other buyer's experience with the GLX. Here are the numbers I'm facing as I try to by a 2000 Beetle GLX for my wife. These prices are for the car with manual transmission plus destination charge ($545). Sales tax will be on top of this.

Invoice+destination: $19,900
    Priceline.com est. of realistic price: $20,800
    Saleman's "best offer" $21,375
    MSRP+destination: $21,600

So, should I hold out for $20,800 or less or go with $21,375?
    You might consider asking that question in the Smart Shopper Conference.
  • dabdabdabdab Member Posts: 1
    I am picking up my new 2000 VW silver GLS next week. Paid $19525 + tax for all standard equipt and automatic trans., sunrooof and alloy wheels. this is from BaysideVW in NY. Can't wait.
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    If you are interested in non-maintenance conversation, information and experience, you're invited to join the New Beetle News topic in the Hatchbacks Conference. See you there!

carlady/roving host
  • dboussondbousson Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if anyone had any information on why California has halted importing of TDI models of the New Beetle? I was told by two different dealers in my area that they are no longer available. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Dave
    I seem to recall reading in this conferece that it was because the TDI didn't meet CA emissions standards.
  • gibsonnickgibsonnick Member Posts: 4
    The TDI engine is much much lower in NOx, Smoke, and particulates than diesels of just 5 year ago by about 90% but the People's Republic of California decided that ZERO emissions are the best policy. The only options I know of that can achieve this are the following:
    1. Ride a snail darter to work
    2. Walk to work
    3. Buy an electric car but make sure that the commute is not over 100 miles round trip. Most LA commuters drive at least 100 miles per day. This will take a LONG extension cord !!!!
  • alextalext Member Posts: 63
    Uh...did anyone notice carlady's posts?

This is a MAINTENANCE topic...not a FINANCE/ACCESSORIES topic...

Sorry if I seem harsh but dog-gone-it everybody's just ignoring that fact!
  • kjaureliokjaurelio Member Posts: 33
    Does anyone have a gentle, sure fire way of keeping the tan plastic and carpets clean? My grandsons love to ride in the car (back seat only) and they step on the sills getting in and out (or console getting to the other side), sometimes leaving scuff marks.
  • andrearwandrearw Member Posts: 1
    I really want to purchase the new beetle but I have heard that consumers have extensive problems and that they are unsafe. Any info would be helpful
  • kjaureliokjaurelio Member Posts: 33
    I have been following the saga of the new Beetles for over a year now. The first year Beetles (98)had several small problems and were fixed eventually. Some problems were a rattling hatch lid, loose seats, defects in the windshield. My 2000 has had no problems in almost 1000 miles.

As for safety, it is the safest small car you can buy. Check out http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/small_cars/crashsmall.htm. I'd hate to have a wreck in a Kia Sephia.
  • jeffs12jeffs12 Member Posts: 2
    This is not a maintenance question but does anyone know how many of the new Beetles are on the U.S. roads (or registered) to date?
  • paulettew1paulettew1 Member Posts: 1
    My 4 month old Beetle has been to the service repair dept. 5 times already. First the side view mirror knob broke off, then the check engine light came on and stayed on, then the air bag light came on. After replacing the airbag, the light came on again so back it went (twice). My dealer is not as friendly as before and claims this has never happened to the new Beetle. He tells me the Jetta is having the same problem though. Now the driver seat is loose and a terrrible odor is coming out of the air vents. He's never heard of these problems either. Help!!!!
  • sirfelixsirfelix Member Posts: 3
    I'm thinking of buying a 2000 VW Beetle but when I went to test drive the car I noticed that the left most cupholder sticks out beyond the console and into my leg. It was very uncomfortable to drive with my leg leaning against the console in an otherwise very comfortable car. If I buy this car can I remove that one cupholder? It appears that the cupholder is not part of the console molding. Could there be a way of removing it without taking out the whole console. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thx
    [email protected]
  • bostontbostont Member Posts: 37
    My niece has a 1999 Bug and has had several small annoying problems like the outside mirror falling off. Her mother, my sister, bought a 2000 and after 1000 miles plus has had no problems at all. I've heard the 1998s had lots of problems but they seem to be cleared up now. Both ladies love their Bugs and I'm thinking of getting one when the lease runs out on my 1999 Rodeo. I had a 1969 auto/stick Bug for 25 years and loved it. I've never been able to understand why they stopped making the auto/stick. It was fun with no mechanical problems.
  • reginamcreginamc Member Posts: 1
    I now own a "87 Toyota Corolla, a most dependable car. I am thinking of getting the 2000 VW bug, but my mechanic, who is honest and wonderful, says that VW parts are much more expensive than
    Toyota's. Any feedback on this? Thanks.
    VW's are reliable cars. I just got a 2000 new beetle turbo. I spoke with a friend who used to sell VW's and she has owned many, and she didn't even recommend buying the extended warranty, she has so much faith in the brand. I did anyway since it's a turbo, and a 6 yr / 100K warranty (covering everything) for only cost $1200 bucks. That's CHEAP! Take the leap, you'll love the car!
  • karltontom2karltontom2 Member Posts: 1
    I love the car but had to give it up, because there were just too many problems,

First of all, it seems some people hate the car, I found human saliva on my car twice after returning from class. Scrathed, keyed, spit at.

this car gets too much attention.
    this car is full of bugs:

This car had a bad power door locks, bad engine valve intake, an annoying creek from the dashboard, a bad remote transmittier for the door locks, the entire electical system failed at 1500 miles, the technicians at almost every vw shop didn't know how to fix the car, the part for the electrical system took 2 months to get, the engine and suspension started feeling sluggish after 9000 miles. Almost like the old Chryslers.
    and a lot of little things, 6 recalls, some dealers did'nt even know about the recalls.

I also had a 1989 golf, the most problems I ever had with a car seemed to be with Volkswagens.

Yeah, the cars ride well for a short time, and at a high cost. Get the extended warranty or be sorry. In 1998 vw club article, Piech, CEO admitted that VW had quality problems with parts.
    disclosure, yeah, anybody doing something to fix it? same with Audi

I own a 1999 nissan maxima, it's great , no problems, full of power, and comfortable.

A lingering though it seems I still love the car so much that I've considered buying another beetle, but with a the thrill this car has to offer, it has more than its share of problems.

If I do buy another one, it'll be the turbo and this time I'll wait for may be the last year, then again, maybe not.
  • kurtd12kurtd12 Member Posts: 3
    Recently I was at my local dealer and saw a beautiful black Beetle GLS with GRAY leather interior. It looked like a great combination. Then when I checked out VW's website, under "Make Your Own", it wouldn't offer gray interior with a black exterior.

Can anyone clear up this confusion for me? I would like a black 1999 GLS New Beetle with gray leather interior. Also, a side note, the New Beetle was listed just above INVOICE!! Amazing. But I didn't want an automatic.

What gives? Thanks.
    Since your question is not entirely maintenance related, why don't you try asking in the Coupes conference, or the Smart Shopper conference. You're more likely to find a few helpful hints in either of those conferences.
  • lconoverlconover Member Posts: 1
    While I'm certain that some of the issues I'm experiencing have been corrected in years since, I'm a little concerned about the fact that a lot of the 'plastics' (cupholder, shift knob label, driver side window control panel) seem to be a little fragile, and I've had them replaced at the dealer's expense. The VW logo on the back popped off when I had to shut the trunk - probably one of the silliest repairs I've ever had to go to a dealership about!

But on the whole, I haven't had any mechanical issues with the car yet-- we're nearing that 20,000 mile mark. I've occasionally smelled what I thought was burning oil, but I'm not sure if it's the cars NEAR me or my car. Anyone notice that the New Beetle seems to use more oil than other VW's? The dealership reassured me that nothing was wrong, but I'm still curious.

If anyone has any list of 'known problems' with the 1998 New Beetle that I should get checked with the dealership on the 20,000 maintenence, please let me know!
  • john5555john5555 Member Posts: 1
    you post was interesting to me 'cause I'm planning to buy a new '99 beetle very soon. If you do hear fom anyone about list of 'known problems', I'd appreciate it if you would email me the link or info. My name is John Barker...I'm from Georgia..and my email is <<A HREF="http://[email protected]">[email protected]>

Thanks!

jb
  • kurgankurgan Member Posts: 1
    I took a new beetle for a spin and thought okay this is pretty cool and yup I might buy one. But, I always do as much work as I can myself (when feasible), I'm always more pleased with the results and only go to the dealer when there is little choice. With that said. Has anybody tried working on this vehicle themselves. What have you done? Was it hard? You know brakes, tuneup, upgrades, changed a headlight? I'm pretty comforable working on cars but never touched a VW. I figure it bolts together like other cars, but what are the known weak points on the vehicle, besides the cupholders :-). Also what's the deal with that glove box on dash, it's so small and it looks like everytime you open it the contents would hit the ground! It reminds me of my chevy monza glove box designed by people with no concept of gravity! -thanks
  • jdsoldsjdsolds Member Posts: 1
    There are so many problems outlined by consumers on www.nhtsa.dto.gov regarding the beetle, that I am terrified - though I love the car.

After just winning a lemon action on my 1999 Caddy, I am afraid of the maintenance horror stories that I am reading here and on the NHTSA site...

So it comes down to this: did VW fix its maintenance nightmare for the New Beetle during 1998-1999 and is the 2000 set to go? Or will the maintenance horrors of those years continue?

Any info or opinion would be appreciated.
  • rpm6rpm6 Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of buying one of these bugs, but I can't seem to get to the site www.nhtsa.dto.gov.
    What are some of the maintenance horrors of the 1998& 1999 beetles? Any help out there?
  • betty11betty11 Member Posts: 1
    I wanted to respond to some of the people who have had problems with their New Beetles. First, I was somewhat relieved to hear that others were having trouble. Now I know I'm not crazy. I've had my 1999 New Beetle since the very end of April and have had it serviced for repairs four times already. The first was a faulty coolant pump, only two weeks after I drove it off the lot; second a faulty sensory wire for the stick shift--I stalled in rush hour traffic on an exit ramp and couldn't get myself out of it for a while. The third, not such a biggie, but an annoyance all the same, was a broken switch for the driver's side power window; and the last, which happened on Saturday, was a broken oil flange(?). There was oil and anti-freeze everywhere. It just happened out of the blue and not in the greatest neighborhood.

I love this car and am pretty attached to it but I'm so disappointed with my experience so far. When it's good, it's great, but when it's bad, it's pretty much useless. Tomorrow I'm meeting with the dealer to talk about the status of my car and the possibility of trading it in for another Beetle. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!
  • tjts2tjts2 Member Posts: 18
    Today at the VW dealer in San Rafael CA, I saw a crashed Beetle on their lot. It hit someting hard with the right side of the bumper because it had moved back about 10". The car is totaled. The whole front end was bent in. Also, the back wheels were out of alighnmnet so I guess the floor pan had buckled. The airbags had gone off and the right side front window was broken. But evidently, the alarm system still works.
    I don't think the car can be fixed. But for all you gear heads out there, this particular example happened to be a 1.8T auto. And it looked to be in good shape. Did I mention the leather interior and those nice alloys. I am sure somebody could take it off the dealers hands as a basket case.
  • olepeteolepete Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 99 GLS back in April of this year and have had no problems with it at all. I have over 16,000 miles on it and have made every maintenance appointment. I'm 6'4" and both my daughters are tall. Plenty of room in both the front and rear seats. As far as "Would I buy another one??" NOT UNTIL VW OF AMERICA STANDS BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT!!!!

On 9/26 I was involved in an accident that required the front end of my Beetle to be completely replaced. The repair shop indicated that it would take 15 business days to make the necessary repairs. VW was contacted and informed the repair shop that all needed parts would be available by 10/19/99. On 10/14 VW was contacted and informed us that the front bumper was en-route to the repair shop. On several different occasions over the next two weeks VW was contacted to determine the whereabouts of the bumper and each time we were given a different story. Finally after calling the VW Consumer Customer Service Hotline and getting the run-around for two more weeks, a call was made directly to the parts depot in CA and the needed part was taken directly from the cargo container on a ship.
    42 DAYS WAS NEEDED TO MAKE THE REPAIRS TO MY BEETLE.
    Upon contacting VW to ascertain if they would share the costs of a rental due to THEIR INABILITY TO OBTAIN PARTS FOR VW PRODUCTS, I was told they didn't see any obligation on their part to share this cost.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO BUY A VW PRODUCT... BE AWARE OF VW's STAND OF NOT HELPING THEIR CUSTOMERS WITH COSTS RELATIVE TO VW'S LACK OF ABILITY TO PROVIDE NEEDED REPAIR PARTS IN A TIMELY MANNER. BUYING THIS PRODUCT WILL DRAIN YOUR POCKET FOR YEARS TO COME!!
    I would like to add that we love this lilltle car in our family and drive the wheels off it. My e-mail address didn't show up.
    its: [email protected] and [email protected]
    I'd appreciate any information you may have regarding problems with VW OF AMERICA.
  • greentaragreentara Member Posts: 1
    I own a 99 New Beetle, which I purchased in June of 99.
    I have had no problems with it what so ever. It runs perfectly. It maneuvers through traffic and on the hi-way like a pro. I am even able to smoke past some of the sporty models on the road.

I have been on 2 road trips with it, and my passengers were equally impressed and enjoyed the ride.

Given my experience, I would of course wholeheartedly recommend this car.
    I think you may have misunderstood me. I too... love my little Beetle. I go nuts when some smart [non-permissible content removed] in a Porshe or other crotch rocket pulls next to me and figures what the heck is this guy doing in that lil "POS". Then I just pull away from them while they scratch their heads trying to figure out what just happened.
    My problem is with the corporate entity of VW OF AMERICA. When you have to wait several weeks, renting a car to replace your Beetle because VW can't provide the parts needed to complete a repair on your car. A part that ANY OF THE OTHER CAR MANUFACTURES HAS IN STOCK and, you contact them to see if they will share in the cost of the rental and they flat out inform you that they won't help in any way even if it was their fault that the part wasn't available..., that's when I become disgruntled and decide not to support a company that won't stand behind their products or their inability to provide needed parts in a timely and reasonable manner.
    Have you considered raising the issue in the News and Views Conference?
This discussion has been closed.