Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Sudden loss of power on freeway in 2016 Genesis 3.8 RWD Sedan

acuratacurat Member Posts: 87
edited March 2016 in Hyundai
Sudden power loss at freeway speed: I leased a new 2016 Genesis 3.8 RWD Sedan with Tech package last month in Southern California. Ten days later with about 225 miles on the odometer, I was driving home from work on the freeway close to midnight. I accelerated and changed lanes to avoid a driver who was merging in my direction. Right after that, the car stopped responding to throttle input. RPMs decreased and the car stalled. No warning lights until the stall. Fortunately I made it to the shoulder of the freeway. I restarted the engine and headed for home. The car was in some sort of limp-home mode that felt like about 20% of normal power. It would not rev above 1500 RPM and would not go faster than 50 mph. I managed to drive it the 10 miles home. It was scary to navigate SoCal freeways in a slo-mo vehicle. My initial thoughts were a bad ECU/ECM, a problem with fuel line/fuel pump/throttle body, or un-commanded activation of the slowdown/immobilization function that is provided in case of theft.

Roadside assistance sent a flatbed to my house the next day and the dealer has been troubleshooting since then. The diagnostic trouble code or DTC was P1230, low fuel pressure. The tech cleared the code, drove the car and the same thing happened. They initially thought it was the high pressure fuel pump. Then after consulting with corporate tech support, they decided to replace the fuel line harness. Some have reported kinks that impede fuel flow. They replaced the harness, drove the car, and...same thing.

Everyone who hears the story says the same thing: "That's the scariest thing I've ever heard! They should give you a new car!!" I'm driving a service loaner. At what point do I start discussing alternatives with corporate? Like a new Genesis to replace the broken one?

Comments

• acuratacurat Member Posts: 87
    Update: after 3 weeks, I got my Genny back today. They replaced the fuel line and the low pressure fuel pump. They say she's fixed. Sure hope so!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Thanks for the update. Here's hoping that's the fix.
    Since getting the Genny back I've driven for a week, all modes, various speeds, cruise on/off...dare I say she's back to normal? Fingers crossed. Seriously great car and easy on the eyes.
  • carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    I would trade it in as soon as possible. Trouble within 225 miles ! :worried:
    carboy21 said:
    I would trade it in as soon as possible. Trouble within 225 miles ! :worried:
    As soon as possible = 35 months. (It's a lease.) Still...fixed is fixed. I hope.
    edited May 2016
    Update: Since the repair, the Genny has been flawless for almost 2000 miles. HMC has treated very well in this process. This car looks like a keeper and I am impressed with the service recovery effort from Hyundai. 
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good to hear, thanks for reporting back.