Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1999 VW Beetle

2»

Comments

• mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    Sounds like a good idea, gus! If you want to talk about your New Beetle with other owners and interested parties, please see the Hatchbacks topic, New Beetle News. You'll also find some good information there about buying a New Beetle. For pricing info, see this topic, also in the Hatchbacks conference.

To talk about VW and its place in the auto industry today, take a look at News & Views. There are several topics going about various manufacturers and their marketing strategies. That would be the best area for that kind of discussion.

If you have specific questions about maintaining and repairing your New Beetle, stick around. This is just the place for you!

carlady/roving host
  • superdave4superdave4 Member Posts: 1
    I presently drive a '95 Camry with almost 100,000 miles.Wondering how long to keep it and came across a '98 NewBettle TDI with about 16,000 miles.Wondering if I should trade my reliable(if not real exciting)Toyota for the VW.Wondering specificaly about the reliability of a '98 Beetle.Thanks, superdave4
  • elainebearelainebear Member Posts: 17
    my sister owns a '99 NB and while she has no problems with it as of yet, she said she wouldn't buy a '98 NB. That was the first year for the car and there will always be glitches with it like rattles and knobs and other things breaking or falling off. If you read Edmunds long term road test you'll understand what I mean. I wouldn't pass up a Camry for a '98 NB, maybe a '00 but not the first year for it. Consumer reports puts the NB's reliability as below average so that is something to think about. I say keep the Camry and if you want a NB get a new NB. I hope this helps you a bit.
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    Great question and answer! I can't stress enough how useful it is to talk to the owners so I do hope you'll check out the links in #52 above.

carlady/roving host
  • lisamarinlisamarin Member Posts: 1
    I am about to get price quotes for 2000 Beetle GL or GLS w/ auto trans. Has anyone had any serious problems, or even not too serious problems, with repairs, etc.?? Honda Civic has never let me down, but the Beetle is so unique, I have to give it serious consideration. Thanks for your prompt response. Timing is short!!!
  • pat455pat455 Member Posts: 603
    If you have not already, why not use our Search feature to the left to find our other topics on Beetles? You'll have lots to read that may help you with your decision.

Good luck!

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
  • xvwxxvwx Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a 2000 beetle GLS turbo. Awesome car.
    Paid 24k out the door. Leather int. aloys, pearl white paint,c/c, its just loaded. No problems except the trunk open display symbol stayed on a few times.
  • zhuxiaoqingzhuxiaoqing Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2000 beetle GLS. I noticed the first time I use cruise control on the highway that the indicator is not on. I called the dealer and they told me some 2000 GLS models does not have this feature.

Personally I think that is crap but does anybody have the same experience?
  • pat455pat455 Member Posts: 603
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I agree with your opinion!

Have you been to New Beetle News (Topic #179) in our Hatchback conference? You will find other recent purchasers of this model there.

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
This discussion has been closed.