Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Road Tripping to Sedona in our Sedona - 2015 Kia Sedona SX-L Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2016 in Kia
Road Tripping to Sedona in our Sedona - 2015 Kia Sedona SX-L Long-Term Road Test

Road tripping our long-term 2015 Kia Sedona from Los Angeles to Sedona, Arizona.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    The large 3.3-liter V6 is the smallest V6 anybody puts in a minivan. It definitely does the job, but I don't know that I would apply that adjective to describe it.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    My brother-in-law's 1999 Suburban with the 5.7 Vortec averages about 19mpg hwy (its turning under 2k rpm's at 70). I would think a MUCH lighter Sedona with a V6 and 6 speeds vs 4 for the old Sub should be able to easy get low to mid 20's for a 2,000 mile trip with lots of highway miles.
  • Options
    mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    @bankerdanny,

This may be hard to believe, but a '99 Suburban is only a few hundred pounds heavier than the Sedona (4800lbs VS 4400lbs). With the Sedona fully loaded down with people and stuff and having a massive torque disadvantage against the Chevy (although a slight hp advantage), I can understand why they might get similar mileage. The Kia is simply working a lot harder all of the time in those conditions to move similar weight.
  • Options
    emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    That Suburban is also 2-3 seconds slower to 60mph than this Kia, and neither is very efficient at punching a hole through the atmosphere at freeway speeds where wind resistance is more important than weight. But I agree that one would intuitively think that 20mpg on the highway for a minivan is disappointing. It would bug me every time if I owned one.