Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

78,000-Mile Service - 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2016 in Dodge
78,000-Mile Service - 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 Long-Term Road Test

Our long-term 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 is due for its 78,000 mile service.

Read the full story here

Comments

• chase300chase300 Member Posts: 6
    I think I'd have disputed the 2nd inspection/fluid top off charge of $42 also.
  • throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    Typical dealer practice unfortunately.
  • garfield__1garfield__1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2006 srt charger and the reliability is amazing. For the 30k miles I've owned it I've changed brake pads and tires once, two hoses, a thermostat and typical oil changes.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    $249 for the Transmission Flush seems like a lot. Do they actually "flush" it with pressure? If so, is that really even recommended now adays? It seems like I've heard of people that start having transmission problems right after the flush. Would seem to be more appropriate to replace the fluid and maybe next year do it again if it hasn't been touched recently.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    chase300 said:

I think I'd have disputed the 2nd inspection/fluid top off charge of $42 also.

I was thinking the same thing.
  • sodaguysodaguy Member Posts: 84
    I think the $42 was the labor charge for the oil change and tire rotation. The other items were just parts.
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    so i talked to a long-time mechanic years ago (retired a couple of years ago after 30 years, a finger gone, two knee replacements, and constant pain medication for back pain) about transmission flushes. he used to work at a firestone service center and did hundreds of transmission flushes with no issue except one car and that car was having transmission problems already so they tried a flush as a last option before major service.

thus i did a flush on a 2005 grand cherokee that we owned at the time when it clicked over 100k miles. never had any problems for the next 10-15k miles until we traded it in. my understanding is that there is no "extra" pressure used. they simply cycle through new fluid using the transmission's own oil pump.

and you have to know what you are paying for. there is a difference between a flush and a drain/refill. flush replaces all the fluid. drain/refill only replaces somewhere over half or so; depending on the transmission.

i talked to my local bmw indie and they feel comfortable doing flushes up to 150k miles if never done before.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    My understanding is that there's also a power flush where you hook the car up to an external pump gizmo and flush the fluid that way. Sometimes chemicals are used in the flush. That's the "power flush" I'd be leery of.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345
    I just do a drain and fill every 60,000 miles on my wife's truck- it's now at 185,000 miles and going strong.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• cah11705cah11705 Member Posts: 12

$249 for the Transmission Flush seems like a lot. Do they actually "flush" it with pressure? If so, is that really even recommended now adays? It seems like I've heard of people that start having transmission problems right after the flush. Would seem to be more appropriate to replace the fluid and maybe next year do it again if it hasn't been touched recently.

Flushes are generally not recommended. Usually prefer just a fluid exchange. FCA actually advises against flushes for newer vehicles.

That seems like a lot of money for the service that was done. Tire rotation should be 10-15 bucks, oil change should be about $80. Not sure what transmission fluid exchange would cost though.