Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Showing Some Age - 2015 Kia Sedona SX-L Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2016 in Kia
Showing Some Age - 2015 Kia Sedona SX-L Long-Term Road Test

Our 2015 Kia Sedona is still a staff favorite, but it is starting to show a few signs of its age.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Show its age at 14k? Oh geez. I'd understand squeaks at 140k, but there shouldn't be ANY wearing at the point or it'll be a rattlebox before 100k.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Age? My 14 year old Saab 9-3 with 110k miles has age, and also has no creaks or groans. A 1 model year old vehicle with 14k miles is barely broken in.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    This doesn't help my preexisting skepticism with Hyundai/Kia build quality.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    I've always wondered how minivans deal with door fitment & body flex, since as Ed Hellwig pointed out, every minivan has a massive empty space in the middle of the bodyside, and an equally huge door that must fit that space just so. Not having owned a minivan, I wonder if some looseness over time just comes with the territory? Even Honda must make concessions to physics...
  • 5vzfe5vzfe Member Posts: 161
    schen72 said:

This doesn't help my preexisting skepticism with Hyundai/Kia build quality.

My first car was almost a Kia, and it was a POS for sure with a price tag to match. But my sister's 2010 Forte changed my mind about Kia - at least their lower priced models. 60k and it still feels tightly screwed together.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I've had a minivan since '89 (three of them). They all develop rattles, kind of like station wagons back in the 60s did. I had a dash squeak in the '99 Quest for a while that I finally fixed with some pasteboard jammed into a fascia gap. Nothing else was consistent. The current '09 Grand Caravan has rear disc brakes (grrr) and I paid to have the anti-rattle gizmo replaced on one pad last year. Now both rear wheels rattle and we just ignore it. We drive a rough half mile bit of gravel every day that really pounds the suspension. The inside is pretty solid at 162,000 miles though.
  • mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    Whether people like to it admit or not, but modern cars are way more rattle-prone than new cars were 10 years ago. The combination of increasing use of plastics to keep weight down with incredibly stiff chassis creates a very high likelihood of rattles. I can't remember the last time I was in a car with less than 10K miles that cost below $60k that didn't have a rattle of some kind.
  • cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    Creaks in the sliding doors can often be cured by lubricating the rubber seals (they are prone to drying out). I think that's normal, especially here in S. cal and is really a maintenance type item. Rattles are a whole different kettle of fish.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878

Whether people like to it admit or not, but modern cars are way more rattle-prone than new cars were 10 years ago. The combination of increasing use of plastics to keep weight down with incredibly stiff chassis creates a very high likelihood of rattles. I can't remember the last time I was in a car with less than 10K miles that cost below $60k that didn't have a rattle of some kind.

Don't know about that. My 2009 Acura has 155,000 miles on it and it's still very tight with only a few buzzing sounds on certain road surfaces. I have no problems with Hyundai/Kia quality. Although my girlfriends Sonata with 60,000 miles on it has a few more trim noises than my Acura. Even then you have to turn the volume down to hear it.
  • albertabound1albertabound1 Member Posts: 4
    Some mini-van doors creak, some groan, some gronk and some moan...

My 2011 Toyota Sienna had driver's side sliding door creaking/gronking/moaning by 6500 miles..it was a first month production vehicle and toyota already had a TSB out to "Replace latching mechanism" under warranty...they also cleaned/siliconed all gaskets...noise went away...

Now have 2013 Sienna...drivers slide sliding door groan/moan/gronk became unbearable by 30,000 miles after a particularly dusty drive in summer 2014. The dealer siliconed the door gaskets, opened up door to clean it...noise got worse as it moaned/groaned on even light acceleration, while cornering (at ludicrously low minivan-like speeds), slowing down. Even when parked with hand pressure on the door it would "moo" or "gronk"...until I sprayed silicone directly INTO the latching mechanism (with the sliding door open and access to the latch through the small gap was possible).

One year later, still silent...bliss.

Recommendations:
    -clean all rubber gaskets
    -spray silicone into door latching mechanism (risky?)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Honda's Shin-Etsu grease is kind of famous for squeaky sliders.

I've always have had good luck with the occasional wipe-down of the gaskets with a damp cloth, and sometimes a spritz of 303 Protectant.
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    The only squeak in my 09 Sedona comes from the rear hatch hinges while driving. Otherwise, at 88k miles, it's tight.