Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Engine Looks Awful, Feels Great - 2016 Honda Civic Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2016 in Honda
imageEngine Looks Awful, Feels Great - 2016 Honda Civic Long-Term Road Test

We bought our new 2016 Honda Civic with the optional 1.5-liter, turbocharged engine. It may be smaller than the standard engine, but it packs some serious punch.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Huh. No plastic engine cover? That's odd.
  • thepuffthepuff Member Posts: 87
    Since these things are starting on fire and have a stop order, adding more plastic wold just fuel the flames.
  • g35bufg35buf Member Posts: 89
    thepuff said:

Since these things are starting on fire and have a stop order, adding more plastic wold just fuel the flames.

Wrong engine...the 2.0 normally aspirated had the piston staff clip issues...
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    I'd rather have a great engine that looked crappy rather than have a crappy engine that looked great. Besides, I know it's a Civic, which is popular with Tuners, but I really don't see someone putting a new Honda Civic on display at a local car show where they're showing off the engine, so it may not matter.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    I'm glad they didn't put a cover on it. It's refreshing. Engines aren't supposed to be pretty. This fad of placing massive plastic covers on engines is just obnoxious. I don't look under the hood often, but every now and then it's fun to look at all of the internal workings of and engine. It reminds you that this is a machine, not just another piece of the puzzle.

And yes, the 1.5T is a fantastic motor. I'm really impressed. Can't wait to drive one with a 6-speed manual!
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    I'm eagerly following updates on the Civic as I tried very hard to buy one recently. Sat down with a salesguy at Honda and it was a one-sided negotiation with them sticking to MSRP. I know people in other parts of the country are getting reasonable deals, but maybe the SF bay area has a demand bubble right now, so dealers are able to extract MSRP from people. Or maybe some people don't even realize they're paying MSRP because they so fixated on the monthly payment. Just before walking out, I asked the guy, I can write you a check right now for the car if you'll give me a more reasonable offer. Nope. So I left and began looking at the 2016 Acura ILX which just had a MMC and a major drivetrain improvement. Factoring in Civic Touring at MSRP vs. ILX at $4k below invoice was a no brainer. For the massively better drivetrain and other luxury features, stepping up to the ILX was only $2.5k more.
  • reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    The days of the barren engine bay have long since passed. Simple, clean, understated.
    Probably doesn't matter how ugly the modern engine bays look. Many of the people running around in Civics have no idea what's going on under the hood anyhow & for the most part that's fine. I've owned many a vehicle that required me to travel with my toolbox in the trunk. Hondas not so much.
  • henry4hirehenry4hire Member Posts: 106
    I think it looks functional and normal...what an engine is supposed to look like. Better than some horrible plastic cover with fake intake bumps on it. Throw some oil in them and they run forever!
  • saxdoggsaxdogg Member Posts: 38
    I'm fine without a cover unless it serves a good purpose. I'd pop that hood and marvel at the way car makers manage to fit things in nowadays...incredible.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2016
    Until you need to fix something....

Then the labor charge is incredible. :D
  • expresscarexpresscar Member Posts: 4
    I't looks clean just don't like all that plastic showing off... well if the engine is reliable as it's predecessors then I will be happy... i just don't like the looks it's like a combination of the old civic fd with the rear of a crv LOL