Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2016 Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• njbuyer3njbuyer3 Member Posts: 12
    edited April 2016
    julia said:

Did I got a good price for 2016 CRV EX AWD? In bay area, CA. The selling price before tax and fee is $24835 without option. With tax of $2365, plus car registration, document fee, etc. OTD is $27595. The color is not my 1st choice color. I just saw someone in Dec. got the car priced at $24000. I did not negotiate the price hard as I just told the dealer the quote I got. Then they do not have the color I wanted. So they beat by $150. Maybe I should read this discussion board first before took the deal.

..and Leather to EX AWD adds 2300...So, for a EX-L AWD seems like 27100 + doc fees (approx 300) + Taxes seems to be the ideal target....ok...seems like 27000 + taxes is becoming common
  • bigtxsmilebigtxsmile Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to buy a Honda CR-V SE today. I read the recent forum posts and even though I'm in Texas I took the post information from asmanikabutar (see below) and sent the numbers to Texas Honda dealers. I asked for $22,000 price and $24,350 OTD price. The closest reply I got was a $25,162 OTD price. That dealer claims that the $24,350 didn't include destination fee of $895 so his offer is actually lower than $24,350. I don't see the destination fee broken out on asmanikabutar"s post but the OTD total is clearly shown. Also, it does seem like new dealaer cash of $500 started this week. Is an OTD price of $24,350 plausible in central Texas?

asmanikabutar San Jose, CAPosts: 7
    April 28 edited April 28
    is this a good price for CR-V SE 2WD in Bay Area CA? $22,018 + TTL = $24,350.87 OTD

Price: $22,018.00
    Sales Tax (estimate): + $1,936.12
    Weight Fee: + $24.00
    Tag/Registration Fees (estimate): + $215.00
    Flat Add/County Fee: + $20.00
    Electronic Filing: + $29.00
    Smog Abatement Fee: + $20.00
    Documentation Fee: + $80.00
    Tire/Battery/MVWEA: + $8.75
    Balance Due (OTD estimate): $24,350.87

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2016
    Invoice is $24,102 and that includes the $900 destination plus a regional ad fee of $150. @asmanikabutar's price included destination, otherwise (as you note), it'd be a line item in his laundry list of fees that resulted in the $24,350 OTD price.

TMV in Dallas is about $200 less than invoice. Your taxes should be a bit less than out in California but let's call it $2000 to include some doc fees.

So the average OTD in Dallas would run around $25,915 with a selling price of $23,915. I'm assuming those numbers would be similar heading west, maybe a little higher in the smaller markets like Abilene.

Lots of numbers. :) If you try for $1,500 off invoice, you'd be at $22,600 or $24,600 OTD. Could try that and see if the dealers can find another $700 off.

Good luck!

• nprangernpranger Member Posts: 3
    Looking to purchase 2016 CRV EXL AWD in IA or Omaha area. What's a good target price? Do you expect financing offer to be extended?
    edited May 2016
    Invoice is $28,819, MSRP is $30,645 and TMV is $29,233. (link - all numbers include destination).

So your target would be at least invoice if not lower. Then work your way up.

I don't have a good handle on Omaha or Iowa numbers. I've shopped CR-Vs in Madison WI and prices there were competitive but that was a couple of years ago now. Best get some quotes around you.

Predicting incentives is not a game for the faint-hearted. :)

Right now in Las Cruces I could join a credit union and get 1.9% financing, which is what the current Honda incentive is for 72 months. 0.9% is better for the shorter terms, but it's all pretty cheap money.

My guess is that the low rates will continue, but for insurance, ask your bank or credit union for a quote. Then you can ask your dealer to beat your rate when you go to buy. Often they can even without a factory incentive (dealers make money putting loans together so they aren't too concerned if you get a great rate from their partners).
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,985
    priya123 said:

Thanks @stever and team for all your help.

I finally picked up my 2016 Honda CRV Touring FWD ( color :copper sunset) from Palm Bay Florida
    including(door mats,Mud flaps, window tint,custom fit trunk tray, wheel locks, Nitrogen fill, door edge guards)

Vehicle discounted price: 29,903 (with accessories)
    Tax : 1833.56
    Dealer Fee: 599
    Title registration: 375
    Total OTD: 32,794

I am loving it!

Congrats on the new CR-V.

Only $599 for dealer fee? You got off cheap in Florida .. I've seen them as high as $899 from other posters on other discussions.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited May 2016
    @priya123 got well versed on Florida fees in here. :)

Congrats! Please write up a Dealer Review too when you can tear yourself away from the new CR-V. B)
  • mathersonmatherson Member Posts: 41
    njbuyer3 said:

matherson said:

Bought an EX-L AWD. MSRP $30,645. Paid $26,625 plus $399 doc fees at Boch in Norwood, MA on Sunday.

That seems to be a very good deal. The doc fees includes registration fees or is that separate?

2016 CR-V EX-L 4 Door AWD 2.4L I4 185 hp - 4 cyl. MPG: Highway: 25 / City: 31
    MSRP$29,745Invoice Price$27,919Destination Fee$900Holdback$595Dealer Cost$28,224

..and I dont understand it. Your total comes to 27K which 1224 less than dealer cost. Am I seeing this right? Are we saying we can get prices better than 27K (exclusive of registration and taxes) on an 2016 EX-L AWD?
    I cannot recall dealer cost. I just emailed 5 dealers looking for best price and got two at this price and one $100 lower.
    $26,625 + $399 doc fee + 170 (new plate fee plus registration) I financed through Honda at 1.9% for 60 months.
    Good luck if you haven't finalized your deal!
  • rileyliz690rileyliz690 Member Posts: 6
    Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to give you an update. I went to a local Honda dealer on Saturday with a friend of mine who used to work there, so I'm sure that had a lot to do with the great price I got. I was pre approved with a credit union at 1.6% for 60 mos. and invited the dealership to beat their rate. They had absolutely no interest in doing so. I was surprised. My friend told me that the owner wasn't there that day, and I would have gotten a better interest rate thru Honda had the owner been there. Oh well, I still have a decent rate thru the credit union. I picked up my 2016 CR-V EX (in white diamond) yesterday, and I love it! My total OTD was $25,826! Many thanks to Stever and the team for your advice and posts!

Sweet! And that is a bit surprising about the financing.
  • jorgeghrjorgeghr Member Posts: 3
    I got a quote for a CR-V AWD SE, from Marysville, WA 98270

Total Price: 23,998.00
    ProPack (Rain Mats and Flaps) 418.50
    Fees 435.50
    Taxes 2,295.15
    OTD: 27,147.15

How does this deal look?
    edited May 2016
    TMV is about $100 below invoice at $25,198. Your selling price is about $1,200 off that ($1,300 below invoice).

Your deal looks good although I don't know about the fees and ProPack. Those two items seem a bit high (especially the fees). You can find genuine Honda accessory prices pretty easily with a net search.

But looking pretty good overall.
  • jorgeghrjorgeghr Member Posts: 3
    Thanks! I took this to another dealer in Kirkland WA - and asked if they could beat it they said no but said they would match it,and gave me this break out:

Total Price: 23,991.40
    Dealer Accessories 418.50
    (Estimated) Vehicle Excise Taxes, Registration 195.25
    Sales Tax 2,392.17
    Documentation 150.00

The dealer accessories already installed on car consisted of CrystalFusion (glass treatment), Door Edge Guards, Wheel Locks, Mud Guards, All weather floor mats, and Cargo Tray.
  • md2xmd2x Member Posts: 10
    I get this offer from Maryland Honda dealer:

2016​ Honda CRV SE AWD
    The Drive-out for the CRV. ​
    MSRP $25,845.00
    Internet Price** $21,752.00
    Destination & Handling $900.00
    ​ ​
    State Sales Tax 6.00% $1,377.12
    Tire Recycling Fee $4.00
    New Tags & Titling Fees $255.00
    Lien $20.00
    Documentation Fee* $300.00
    Drive-Out ​ $24,608.12
    jorgeghr said:

Thanks! I took this to another dealer in Kirkland WA - and asked if they could beat it they said no but said they would match it,and gave me this break out:

Total Price: 23,991.40
    Dealer Accessories 418.50
    (Estimated) Vehicle Excise Taxes, Registration 195.25
    Sales Tax 2,392.17
    Documentation 150.00

The dealer accessories already installed on car consisted of CrystalFusion (glass treatment), Door Edge Guards, Wheel Locks, Mud Guards, All weather floor mats, and Cargo Tray.

I've seen worse prices for accessories. The glass treatment sounds like a junk fee to me.
    edited May 2016
    md2x said:

I get this offer from Maryland Honda dealer:

2016​ Honda CRV SE AWD
    MSRP $25,845.00
    Internet Price** $21,752.00
    ​ ​
    State Sales Tax 6.00% $1,377.12
    Tire Recycling Fee $4.00
    Lien $20.00
    Drive-Out ​ $24,608.12

We typically roll destination into the price quotes in this discussion since that number is "unavoidable". (Taxes are too, but they vary so much we don't pay much attention to them).

So your selling price before taxes and fees is $22,852. TMV for a DC zip is $24,403 so your quote is outstanding (check @jorgeghr 's number out of the west coast for comparison).

Only quibble is charging $300 for a doc fee after already sticking your for the tag/title fee.
  • azureskyazuresky Member Posts: 11
    Hi Stever,

Received this quote yesterday from a SoCal dealer

CRV EX-L with Nav
    Protection pkg $699
    Basic Security System $699
    Theft Etch Code $299

MSRP 30,845

My Price $27,686

Tax & Lic $2,621

OTD $30,307

I found the car at another dealer for $26,599 but does not include the add-ons and they won't give an OTD price until I come in. So I'm a little leery they'll try some shenanigans when I get there, its a 45 min drive from my home.
    I'm hoping to make deal online/phone then just go in and purchase.
    What do you think of these prices? Thanks in advance for your opinion.
    Deb
    edited May 2016
    Hi @azuresky. Lots of junk fees in there.

VIN etching is junk. Even if it was recommended by, say, your insurance company, you can buy d-i-y kits for $10.

Protection pkg $699 - that's junk.

Basic Security System $699 - that's junk.

Seeing a pattern here?

I was interested in pursuing an Encore six months back but the dealer here sticks on a $1,400 "desert protection package". If they are going to burn me that bad buying a car, what kind of service can I expect when it needs maintenance or warranty work?

I'd get some more quotes.

And I'd look at a CX-5 too.

=========================

Okay, rant over, back to the real world. :) Invoice is $29,007 for the FWD EX-L with Nav for a random SoCal zip. TMV is a couple of hundred bucks more, meaning some people are buying below invoice and beating that average.

Let's say you got a "below TMV" quote for $29k (including the $900 destination). Then throw in your Cali taxes of $2,600. That puts you at $32,600 OTD.

Looking at it that way, your junk fee quote of $30,300 OTD doesn't look too awful.

Yeah, the $26,600 quote looks much better, but I dunno if it's worth the drive just to have the dealer pull a bait and switch on the numbers.

You may want to get some Price Promise quotes (or Costco, etc.) too.
  • md2xmd2x Member Posts: 10
    I am debating between this EX AWD and SE AWD

2016 ​ Honda CRV EX AWD
    MSRP $27,295.00
    Internet Price** $23,080.00
    ​ ​
    State Sales Tax 6.00% $1,456.80
    Tire Recycling Fee $4.00
    Lien $20.00
    Drive-Out ​ $26,015.80​
    kind of a passive buyer...went to 2 dealerships and the lowest they would come down to was 25750/25500 + 301 registration + 400 doc fee + Taxes for a CRV EX 4WD. All the magic numbers I have seen so far probably needs better negotiation skills than mine. Any one in NJ got anything better at a certain dealer?
    md2x said:

I am debating between this EX AWD and SE AWD

2016 ​ Honda CRV EX AWD
    MSRP $27,295.00
    Internet Price** $23,080.00
    ​ ​
    State Sales Tax 6.00% $1,456.80
    Tire Recycling Fee $4.00
    Lien $20.00
    Drive-Out ​ $26,015.80​

This seems to be fabulous compared to what I am getting.
  • a1vision109a1vision109 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2016
    I went to a dealership Monday  Paragon Honda Nyc to get a 2016 Crv Ex L the starting price was $36,489 for OTD (including tax) with 4.9 interest. Also told them I don't need Honda care so they took that out which lowered it to $34,650 OTD. Am I getting a good price? Also I'm not putting any money down and will be my first car.

MSRP: $30,000 and OTD total is $34,650 (that's wth taxes included) 

edited May 2016

I went to a dealership Monday  Paragon Honda Nyc to get a 2016 Crv Ex L the starting price was $36,489 for OTD (including tax) with 4.9 interest. Also told them I don't need Honda care so they took that out which lowered it to $34,650 OTD. Am I getting a good price? Also I'm not putting any money down and will be my first car.

MSRP: $30,000 and OTD total is $34,650 (that's wth taxes included) 

Use the Make | Model dropdowns up top to price out your CR-V. As you drill down to the style and color, you'll land on a page showing MSRP, Invoice and True Market Value.

Ignore the taxes and figure out what the selling price of the car is at the dealer.

Your goal is to get the selling price below TMV (in the case of Hondas in most areas of the country, you can usually beat the invoice price by $500 or more).

Once you get a handle on the selling price, then you need to pay attention to the fees (the selling price should already include the destination amount).

You can't do anything about the taxes but you can deduct for excessive doc fees or other junk fees and get to your out the door number that way.

My sense is that it's becoming more of a buyer's market in general. Incentives for various brands have increased. If your dealer isn't dealing, try getting some more quotes and it doesn't hurt to mention that you are cross-shopping Hyundai Tucsons or CX-5s either.

Oh, ask your bank or credit union what kind of loan rate you qualify for. Or do an on-line loan app. If you get a lower number, invite the dealer to beat it (they usually can). You may not get a better number but it's good to "keep 'em honest".
  • vnadellavnadella Member Posts: 3
    I have recently purchased 2016 Honda CRV EX-L in Dallas, TX for $29,100 Drive Out price, which includes tinted glasses, wheel locks, splash guards and trunk mat.
    Congrats!

What's your tax rate over there - 8.25%?
  • vnadellavnadella Member Posts: 3
    6% in texas plus title charges.
    Thanks for your help! Great salesman in Des Moines sold us a 2016 CR-V EXL AWD with splash guards for $26,589 plus $185 doc fee. This included a $500 college rebate and 1.9% financing for 60 mos. Will take that rate all day and pay towards 6%+ student loans.
    Congrats! Enjoy the new ride!
    nothing new for the experts in this forum, but a dealer told me has no incentive if I pay cash, and he gets kickbacks if I finance. So, I presume the deals we get also need to account for what one loses when getting a loan. I presume works out favorably for people who have to finance regardless.
    Good point - it's rare to find a car loan these days with a pre-payment penalty so the trick nowadays (if you don't want a payment) is just to finance and then pay the loan off. I had a salesperson recommend that very practice to me just a couple of weeks ago.
    This was at Smart Honda in Clive, IA and Clay Olson was our salesman. Did everything online. Was at the dealership less than an hour and on our way. My third purchase with Clay.
    Always good to hear about the "easy" deals.

Feel free to write up a Dealer Review too. Thanks.
  • sketcher1980sketcher1980 Member Posts: 3
    Buying in Queens NY (11357)

Honda CRV EX

$25600
    Dest. $880
    Doc: $299

Not sure about toal with tax yet. Thinking of adding side moulding and wheel locks. Are mudflaps important or just kinda cool?

Please let me know if you think this is a good deal. Thanks!
    edited May 2016
    AWD?

Destination is "officially" $900 btw.

I like something around the back of the wheel openings - maybe not for mud so much as for helping with the rock chips and occasional patches of tar you hit.
    Hi Steve, sorry forgot to say AWD
    Assumed AWD, but decided to double-check.

Invoice and TMV are almost identical - $26,526 vs $26,496.

So your quote is perfectly "average". (my numbers include destination and your quote is coming in at $26,480 before the doc fee).

I dunno, NYC isn't known for bargains, but I think I'd get a few more quotes. If you can wait two weeks, some of the dealers may be more motivated to discount cars to make their quota. And there may be some Memorial Day sales.

The market is kind of nuts right now and car sales are really carrying the retail economy. Dealers have plenty of buyers ready to pay the average.

edited May 2016
    hunt continues..quote for an EX AWD
    24500 + 767.90 (includes registration and all fees) + 498 (vin etching/pinstripe,1 year key replacement, whell lock, door edge guards + viper after market remote start (assume this would be the cheapest on the market ) ) + 1749.86 in taxes = Out of Door price 27515 USD

The 498 dollar is mandatory......anywhere close to good?

I'd avoid any aftermarket electrical accessories if I could - the cost is a concern but the bigger issue to me is tapping into the wiring in new cars with all the electronics that are tied in to the various computers. Be good to check and make sure the warranty is the same as the rest of the car.

Guess I'd just keep focusing on the OTD price. Say, $26,500 in your case.
    Good point Steve. The dealer said he has to make sure he installs it coorectly so that the warranty is not voided. I presume he is just worried about the car's warranty and not the warranty of the after market product.

One thing I did not understand. You said 26500. Are you saying that is the price i should target without the excess crap being sold to me ?
    edited May 2016
    Yeah, or less.

$24,500 is pretty much invoice. Not sure if you can beat invoice in NJ right now, unlike, say, the DC area. Throw in taxes and part of the fees and call it $26,500. (edit - this post was $1,000 off!)

That sounds reasonable to me and gets you a bit below invoice by cutting the registration fees about in half. I ignored the add-ons and alarm. That may not seem reasonable to a dealer. :'(

But that's right - in parts of NJ you pretty much need extra alarms, eh?
    Got it...the aftermarket remote start was my request when he put the mandatory 498.

To be frank having a tough time for any one in NJ to come to give me an OTD of 27K barebones. May be someone else in this forum has done it for 26.5 OTD or may have to wait till end of month
    edited May 2016
    http://www.car-buying-strategies.com/dealer-invoice/honda-cr-v-prices.html
    Invoice price for EX AWD is 25626..right? I am probably having outdated information. Good to know it is 24500.
    edited May 2016
    njbuyer3 said:

Invoice price for EX AWD is 25626..right? I am probably having outdated information. Good to know it is 24500.

No, I'm the one with all the wrong info. Sorry.

For the AWD EX, $26,526 is the correct number for invoice with destination.

And I'm showing my NJ bias I guess - read aftermarket and assumed alarm system. Same concerns about tapping into existing wiring though and the affect on the warranty if it affects the computers.

Let me try again - a good deal would be $1,000 off invoice or $25,500. Add $2,000 for taxes and fees and you're up to $27,500 OTD.

So if you can get a $27,000 OTD offer, then you'd be doing very good. But judging by the TMV average, most folks in your region are paying a little over invoice.

Apologies again for screwing everything up. :'(
    stever said:

njbuyer3 said:

No, I'm the one with all the wrong info. Sorry.

For the AWD EX, $26,526 is the correct number for invoice with destination.

And I'm showing my NJ bias I guess - read aftermarket and assumed alarm system. Same concerns about tapping into existing wiring though and the affect on the warranty if it affects the computers.

Let me try again - a good deal would be $1,000 off invoice or $25,500. Add $2,000 for taxes and fees and you're up to $27,500 OTD.

So if you can get a $27,000 OTD offer, then you'd be doing very good. But judging by the TMV average, most folks in your region are paying a little over invoice.

Apologies again for screwing everything up. :'(
    np Steve. The after market charger is what I am concerned as well. Cannot get 27 and have to pay 27.5 which includes the mandatory 498. If I can get them to install the one with the one mile radius (assuming warranty is good) for another 100 dollars, will probably go for it.
    stever said:

Assumed AWD, but decided to double-check.

Invoice and TMV are almost identical - $26,526 vs $26,496.

So your quote is perfectly "average". (my numbers include destination and your quote is coming in at $26,480 before the doc fee).

I dunno, NYC isn't known for bargains, but I think I'd get a few more quotes. If you can wait two weeks, some of the dealers may be more motivated to discount cars to make their quota. And there may be some Memorial Day sales.

The market is kind of nuts right now and car sales are really carrying the retail economy. Dealers have plenty of buyers ready to pay the average.

Thanks Steve! Good info!

Calling a few dealerships helped me lower it another $350. Only thing is now I have to get my deposit back, which Im trying to demand they do over the phone instead of coming in so they can convince me one more time that the other deals arent real.
  • cmcccmcccmcccmcc Member Posts: 1
    Hi stever,
    I got my CR-V LX AWD last week.
    Tax 6%
    OTD $24600

What do you think of this price?
    Thanks a lot!
    Hi @cmcccmcc, TMV is $24,264, which is a couple of hundred bucks less than invoice (using a random zip code).

My math isn't so hot but working back from your 6% tax, it looks like you beat TMV by a good $1,000 or more.

Congrats on the new ride!
    Of all the dealers in the NJ area, the edison honda dealer (you know which one) stands out in being blatantly lying in the email on what they can do to what they can when you go in. Not just the front sales person, but even the manager. Others, atleast dont promise anythng whch is a fair enough stance in a cut throat sales market
    Feel free to write up a Dealer Review too.

And posting dealer names in the forums is okay.