Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• tommister2tommister2 Member Posts: 393
    andres3 said:

andres3 said:

Test Drove a TTS: Summary Impressions on scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the best:

1. Paint/Fit/finish - 10
    2. Transmission DSG - 7
    3. Speed/Acceleration/Engine - 9.5
    4. Handling - 9.5
    5. Adaptive Suspension - 8 (not quite as much range as I figured there would be in comfort vs. dynamic). Could be due to 20" WHEEL MONSTERS.
    6. NO SUNGLASS STORAGE OVERHEAD
    7. Price and Willingness to deal - 5

What a difference a day makes!

Last day of the month deal made #7 go up to a score of 8.5 from 5, and means BYE BYE Misano Red S4, Hello Daytona Gray TTS w/ red Napa Leather Seats! Sold the S4 for KBB "good" trade-in value, plus a bit extra for the 2 sets of wheels and tires I threw in.

It turns out I can be swayed by subjective styling, looks, and beauty. A mini-R8. Audi's version of a Porsche.

The 20" wheels are growing on me, but I'm used to 18's with sidewall. Haven't discovered the limits of a very wide 255/30R20 on a 20" x 9" wide wheel yet though. Has to be in the stratosphere, or the Yokohama Advans just don't chirp.

Wife wasn't super happy about my pick, she made me put the car seat in as soon as I got home. I had to become a contortionist with a shoe horn to get it back there, but it fits, just barely, and I do mean barely as it is a tall Diono car seat. The cargo space is generous however, as it passed the Costco shopping test. The car is essentially a 3 seater since I'm 6'3 and the wife is 5'2. Daughter is 2 and a half, so when she gets to be 5'2 or taller it'll become a 2 seater. OK, let's be honest, 5'0 tops, the rear seats have little leg room; it's tiny back there.

Chalk another one up!
    Congrats! Post some pictures when you stop driving it ;)
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    Probably feels good to get out of that S4. Congrats!

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    andres3 said:

Chalk another one up!

Congrats on the punch! It's a 2016, I presume?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    pretty snazzy looking. Nice color too. Not sure I could sell my wife on something this small for our primary use car though! Would have to test fit I guess.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Congrats and yes, please post some pics.

Pics of the speeding tickets will be fun too. :D
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Very cool...and small! If it were a four door, I'd be hooked as do prefer a sedan. Great color though and looks to be a real hoot to scoot around in. be careful out there dude!!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    andres3 said:

Wife wasn't super happy about my pick, she made me put the car seat in as soon as I got home. I had to become a contortionist with a shoe horn to get it back there, but it fits, just barely, and I do mean barely as it is a tall Diono car seat. The cargo space is generous however, as it passed the Costco shopping test. The car is essentially a 3 seater since I'm 6'3 and the wife is 5'2. Daughter is 2 and a half, so when she gets to be 5'2 or taller it'll become a 2 seater. OK, let's be honest, 5'0 tops, the rear seats have little leg room; it's tiny back there.

When your wife comes up for sainthood, we'll definitely vouch for her. ;)

Congrats on the punch!

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Sat in a new 2017 Hyundai Elantra today and was impressed! It was an SE model and think the sticker was about $21K before the dealer add on garbage this one dealer is known for. Adds $1495 of stuff that is totally outrageous at that price which is why I only look there and would never buy from him...a real gonif!!
    Nice interior appointments, sort of a mini Sonata which really isn't bad at all. Hyundai/Kia have really improved their interiors dramatically with all that ugly hard plastic gone. Again, was very impressed and think my kid will agree when she is ready to buy in the next couple of years. I then got into a new Civic and drove it back to the dealer. Honda did a great job on this interior as well. it was a turbo with a CVT tranny but didn't feel like one, at all! I hit the accelerator and whooshhhh, I was gone. The dash is more boy racer to be honest but I could learn to like it. Can not wait to drive the new Elantra and Forte to see how the three compare because honestly, think the kid will choose one of these three as her final choice. She really wanted the 2009 Elantra but things went in another direction but right now, it's at the top of her short list.
    This really is the best part of my job, driving so many different makes and models which is great when it comes to buy a personal vehicle.Another wonderful thing is all this new tech that has finally gotten down to the economy levels in many makers. Kids her age who grew up with the computer demand the latest and best tech on whatever they buy and glad the car makers are listening to them on this. Really is a win/win for us all since even is "older" folk can be taught how to use most of it. Just adds to the ownership enjoyment as far as I'm concerned. Personally, I want to be able to open our garage door and smile at what I see, something that every manufacturer should want also. And I am lucky enough to be living this on a daily basis! Thank G-d for being so lucky and blessed!!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    andres3 -
    Congrats on the 'punch' !
    - Ray
    Have not had an Audi in a loooong time.....
    2022 X3 M40i
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    @andres3 - Mazel-Tov on the TT punch!  Sounds like you picked a killer color combination.  I can't wait to see the pics!  Enjoy the drive!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• coldinohiocoldinohio Member Posts: 170
    congrats
    TT-s is loved by many car mags now-- is it 5 cylinder?
    i think it has the virtual cockpit display which on the new A4 is spectacular

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    Congrats @andres3 ! I think my wife would have traded me in with the S4...
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    a version of the 2.0L engine dialed up for extra HP.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Congrats!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Congrats on the TT
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057
    @andres3 - congrats on the new Audi!

@corvette - how many punches are we up to for the year?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    Only 8. I was the only punch in May. breld should be due for another punch in a month or two.
    corvette said:

Only 8. I was the only punch in May. breld should be due for another punch in a month or two.

So, 7 through April, or an expected 21 for the year.

Would you be so kind as to refresh our memory on the punch guesses for the year?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    andres....beautiful car. Love the color combo. 'Grats!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    andres--congratulations! Great color. Looking forward to your ownership review.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    congrats. Nice car.

I don't give it long, though. I convinced myself I could live with a coupe with small kids (first the 135, then the Stang). It gets annoying pretty quick.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I had my Scion tC for about 17 months before trading it in for an accord, for the same reason. A 14YO and a 9YO made it a real hassle. Plus I didn't like it all that much!

stickguy said:

I had my Scion tC for about 17 months before trading it in for an accord, for the same reason. A 14YO and a 9YO made it a real hassle. Plus I didn't like it all that much!

The same was true when we got our '99 Beetle. The step kids were 11 and 13.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    corvette said:

andres3 said:

Chalk another one up!

Congrats on the punch! It's a 2016, I presume?
    Yes, 2016.

An order would have put me dangerously close to a 2017, and Audi usually arbitrarily adds $500 to the sticker every year I've noticed. They might throw in red painted calipers or something, which they charge an outrageous extra $400 for!!! I didn't allow that to happen, mine are black, but it did slip by me until it was too late that I paid $90 extra for all-weather floor mats; it's right there on the sticker. I'll probably never use them, the standard mats come with the car regardless (so it is an add-on optional item), and they are perfectly fine and I don't go in the snow or mud much. I think that's the ultimate "how addicted is this buyer test" charging that much for red calipers. It's not like red paint costs more than black paint, and yes, the standard TTS calipers are painted black with even a red Audi TT "S" Sash logo. Now if it was standard unpainted metal calipers vs. red, I could understand the charge. That one has to be pure profit.

OK, rant over.

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited May 2016
    stickguy said:

pretty snazzy looking. Nice color too. Not sure I could sell my wife on something this small for our primary use car though! Would have to test fit I guess.

It is a very tough sale to the significant other! Who said anything about primary car? LOL. We have the Wagon for that! Though my wife hasn't sold off on that yet. We are kind of in limbo until all the details of the Diesel fiasco play out. My commute should get a lot shorter in the next couple of months, but if it stays very long, her car would make a great commute/daily driver/family hauler for me, and perhaps she could get that new (can't talk her into used now!) Subaru she she might want for some reason. It was my ultimate plan to get more of a reliable cheaper beater/daily driver/family hauler, perhaps used at $15K or less, and keep this baby as a weekend, track, and maybe once a week to work car. Her Sportwagen is only a year old, so it is way more valuable than $15K, but a long commute and cheap diesel help that scenario makes sense.

Audi does spoil you, and comfort mode with even the 20's is starting to spoil me. I'm starting to think why would I want to drive anything else when I have this. Audi makes these with an eye towards being an acceptable daily driver for sure, but the very short wheelbase and very short gearing says take me to the track or a very twisty road loud and clear as well.

By the way, that picture above is off on color, more like Nano Grey with a ridiculous amount of lighting and glare tricks. Daytona is darker like Graphite on the '03 Accord Coupe. I'll work on getting a real picture posted today.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

Congrats @andres3 ! I think my wife would have traded me in with the S4...

She still might! LOL :open_mouth::worried:

I'm sure I'll be paying for this purchase in more ways than one for awhile, but she did admit when she finally saw it in person (as I tried to argue all along) that it is a beautiful car.

Trading in a car with nearly 48K miles for nearly 31K dollars is unheard of for people in our income bracket. For goodness sakes, I got my '06 A3 out the door for less than $31K. I think being number 1 in Consumer Reports this year helped us make a deal here, and is having a measurable impact on Audi values.

edited May 2016
    qbrozen said:

congrats. Nice car.

I don't give it long, though. I convinced myself I could live with a coupe with small kids (first the 135, then the Stang). It gets annoying pretty quick.

We carried our son around in my 318ti Club Sport and my wife's 318ti Active until he was nearly six. We only traded my wife's ti for a 528i because both of our elderly mothers were recently widowed and were no longer driving. Were it not for that we probably wouldn't have bought a four door car for another 5-6 years.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited May 2016

Very cool...and small! If it were a four door, I'd be hooked as do prefer a sedan. Great color though and looks to be a real hoot to scoot around in. be careful out there dude!!

If you like 5-doors Ala Hatchback, then the Golf R might be for you. Limited color choices (I think it's metallic white, metallic black, a medium gray, red, and metallic blue). Probably 90% of my car with 75% the cost, and at least 4 comfy seats, 5 in a pinch.

The Golf R has taller gearing though. I actually mean this, I was more apt to get speeding tickets in the S4. That car forced me to cruise around at 90 MPH on straight stretches of roadway loafing around at low RPM's in 7th gear, whereas the TTS is at about the same RPM at 65-70 MPH in its top 6th gear.

EDIT/ADD: I'm giving the Golf R the benefit of the doubt at 90%. It might only be 75% of the car I have, but I wouldn't know as VW dealers in San Diego County have an insane and idiotic policy of no test drives on the Golf R. I was supposed to test drive one of the manager's own Golf R's as a "demo," but that fell through and was postponed unexpectedly by them. They claim they've lost sales due to someone saying 15 miles was too much on a new car. Well, for me, the R might just have been the more practical choice at a lower price, but I became annoyed with VW and especially their dealerships, and rewarded Audi; who did let me test drive a TTS without any fuss.
    We use my car for most trips, unless we are taking lots of stuff (like a week at the beach rental). And also when we are together locally. No way next year will the RDX get moved back into primary duty. If I get a toy, I need to figure out how to get another car with it! The RDX lately has been getting very few miles put on it. Might not break 36k by its 4th anniversary, and I think we were at 30k when it hit 3.

2.5 years old is just old enough that they can traverse tricky terrain such as the interior of a vehicle and seat themselves in the car seat. That's half the battle. It is annoying to buckle them in with only 2 doors, and I forgot how a coupe's two large doors make you have to leave an extra foot of room when you park on each side so you can open your door without banging into things. :worried: Funny the things you forget about what you didn't like about something. Regardless, I'm willing to put up with some of these inconveniences in exchange for the rewards.

Sounds like somewhere between when my daughter is 6 years and 11 years old it'll be time to trade her in (the car, not my little princess) based on some of the comments here recently. I think anywhere in that range of scenarios puts me in a position where I won't belong in this forum anymore :smile:

The one catch is in the unlikely event we decide to (or have a surprise) 2nd child. In that event, it has to become a 3rd optional fun car or be traded for a Golf R. I like the 3rd optional car idea, a lot! If I can train the DSG to work just right to my habits and style, and it is a "learning" system, I can see myself keeping this one for a long, long time. If anyone can train a DSG transmission correctly it is me; I've been driving them since April of 2006. That's a decade of relatively high mile per year experience.

Would have been awesome to turn a two and a half year old S4 into a daily beater, but I didn't want to have that kind of money tied up into cars. Would be nice to be made out of money so that you could do that.
    Of course with unlimited income I'm thinking instead of a mini R8 I'd get the real R8, and then have the S4 as a daily driver. The upcoming TTRS would be a hoot too, and I hear it gets the 7-speed DSG and sweet sounding 5-cylinder.

Knowledgeable guy who owns the shop where I service my Audi's was talking, and he used to own the S5 but now has the brand new '17 A4, and he was raving about it. He said everything was improved, from the steering, to the suspension, to the way it felt and drove. He said looks wise it might look like a minor update and refresh, but that it was an entirely different and new car underneath (and most importantly improved). Makes the future '18 S4 sound promising as well.

stever said:

Congrats and yes, please post some pics.

Pics of the speeding tickets will be fun too. :D

First thing I did when I got home was remove the license plate holder in front. Audi makes it really nice and convenient as the screw holes are now hidden on angled brackets behind the grill! No more little visible screw holes. Problem: All my Allen wrenches (and I must have had 2 or 3 rings full at one point) went missing. Trip to Home Depot, bought some hexagon shaped wrenches in metric (figured it's German right?) and they came off. 2nd problem: the holder is really tightly "snapped" into position. I hate having to tug on plastic really hard. I swore there must have been another screw holding the darn thing, but finally with some muscle and force it snapped out before plastic broke thankfully.

So I'll try and get away with a beautiful front face as long as I can in CA. What will come first, the speeding ticket or the front license plate fix-it ticket? Perhaps both at the same time?
  • js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    edited May 2016
    I lost the no front plate argument with my wife twice, and both times after she had just been pulled over specifically for this. On her first Mustang, we went well over 2 years with no trouble. On the second one (yes, I tried my luck again) it didn't last 3 weeks before a local cop pulled her over. The second time, I received twice the lecture I got from her the first time which I suppose I deserved. It pained me both times putting those holes in the bumper cover. I had been researching a hide-a-plate at the time, but just gave up to keep the peace.

In my Trans Am, so far it's been 16 years with only one warning for it. They don't mess with that car for some reason. Still no front plate.

A really ridiculous law here in Texas, especially considering that 40 miles up the road in OK it's not required.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

edited May 2016
    js06gv said:

I lost the no front plate argument with my wife twice, and both times after she had just been pulled over specifically for this. On her first Mustang, we went well over 2 years with no trouble. On the second one (yes, I tried my luck again) it didn't last 3 weeks before a local cop pulled her over. The second time, I received twice the lecture I got from her the first time which I suppose I deserved. It pained me both times putting those holes in the bumper cover. I had been researching a hide-a-plate at the time, but just gave up to keep the peace.

In my Trans Am, so far it's been 16 years with only one warning for it. They don't mess with that car for some reason. Still no front plate.

A really ridiculous law here in Texas, especially considering that 40 miles up the road in OK it's not required.

Agreed; it is a ridiculous law in most States unfortunately. I think maybe about 33% of the States get it right, and 66% insist on being obnoxious about it. One license plate is plenty!

3 weeks? How'd she get ticketed 3 weeks in; I'll wait months before I even put the rear plate on; keep the new car anonymity as long as possible.
    In NY where I work and in CT where I live, a front plate is required.  The difference is in the way the 2 neighboring states enforce the law.  In NY, if your car is registered in NY State & parked on the street, you can get a ticket.  If the police see you operating a vehicle in NY without a front plate, they will pull you over & ticket you specifically for not having the front plate.

In CT they won't ticket your parked car on the street or pull you over just for not having a front plate, but they will pull you over for another infraction and give you a "no front plate" ticket as well.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Might be slightly easier in south jersey, because just over the border in PA they only use one, so seeing a car with no front plate is common enough. I always put one both though. Why ask for trouble?

Colorado requires both plates; guess I've never owned anything nice enough to worry about not having to attach it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    Washington State is pretty strict, at least in my experience, with the front license plates. When I bought my GTI, the dealership installed the front license plate bracket without drilling into the front bumpers, which I was pleased about. It really is an eyesore, though.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    I think about half the Teslas I see don't have a front plate, along with a numerous Porsches etc. I wouldn't be surprised if there are selective factors in enforcement.

It really is amusing, and kind of depressing, that there isn't a standard for something so simple.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    No front plate required here, but across the river they require them. Suckers!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

No front plate required here, but across the river they require them. Suckers!

I was extremely lucky with my 2er, it was delivered and leased in Ohio but no front plate was ever mounted- so it made it to my garage in KY without the front clip being defaced.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Head up to Berkeley and you can get a two-fer. :)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited May 2016
    Yeah, how could Berkeley give you a red-light-camera ticket if you don't have a front plate? Be considerate for goodness sake! B)
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited May 2016
    New punch for us too. Son got his new A4. It's a 2017 Premium-Plus S-Line, metallic brown with darker brown leather, shiny wood interior inserts, B &O audio, iPhone intergration, etc. Very nice ride, handling, noticeably more energetic with reduced weight and engine tweaks as compared to the former 2013.
    I bought my car in PA, so the front plate kit was in the trunk. They should have put it on at the dealer, but forgot and I didn't notice, until the plates arrived in the mail. Wasn't worth going 30 miles and paying a toll to get there, so I did it myself. Not hard (put the block in place, and it even had a slot to line it up so you couldn't screw up locating) then screw in some self tapping screws. Took me a few minutes to screw up the courage though!

I did happen to see the VW dealer do the same thing earlier in the year on my sons car, but that was a lot tech that had no qualms. Slap it on, ram the screws, move on. I doubt he cared much if it was a little crooked.

I did have to get a bracket installed on my used Miata, but that was a bracket that screwed on underneath (behind the front bumper) so the plate and bracket stood off of the bumper, so no marring required.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    andres, congrats on the TT; like it a lot!
    @carnaught - congrats on the A4!

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    @carnaught Beautiful car!

Flew into Baltimore to pickup a Z4 loaner, that had a killer lease deal on it. They had the front plate mount screwed right into the front bumper, :@

But, what are you going to do?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

that is a really good looking A4. I like it! Will test drive one next year. Along with everything else on the market.

Ky, just means you have a place to display college or pro team pride.

carnaught said:

New punch for us too. Son got his new A4. It's a 2017 Premium-Plus S-Line, metallic brown with darker brown leather, shiny wood interior inserts, B &O audio, iPhone intergration, etc. Very nice ride, handling, noticeably more energetic with reduced weight and engine tweaks as compared to the former 2013.

Nice!!!