Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Jeep Wrangler Will not Start or Shift

rbhazierbhazie Member Posts: 4
edited July 2016 in Jeep
I have a 2010 Wrangler that will not start everything is dead. Battery if Fine? And it will not shift out of park seems to be stuck. How do I free the shift. Anyone else ever have this issue?

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You can't get out of Park until your brake light switch has power to it, or until you release the lever using a screwdriver in the slot next to the gearshift console.

As for having no power--if you actually load-tested the battery and it's good, then you must have an issue with the cables. Does a jump start do anything?
  • rbhazierbhazie Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2016
    I depress the break and the lever will still not move. Cables are good and tight
    Okay can get the shift lever to move by depressing the button next to the lever. Shift down to neutral and still will not start. Not even turning over at all. Dash lights up and then goes dim
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Do you have brake lights?
    Yes. What would having Break lights have to do with no Power?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    edited May 2016
    rbhazie said:

Yes. What would having Break lights have to do with no Power?

When you depress the brake pedal, you activate a switch that unlocks the shift lever. Not having brake lights would assume an electrical problem in that area (since those are also activated by depressing the brake pedal).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• trexinmytanktrexinmytank Member Posts: 3
    I had electrical problems with my Jeep Wrangler a while back, ended up having something to do with the wiring around my battery. Did you manage to figure this out?