Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Stuck in Park - 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2016 in Dodge
Stuck in Park - 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 Long-Term Road Test

I got into our long-term 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 today and it wouldn't shift out of park.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Ah, well, a lot better than I feared which was you needing a new transmission.
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    edited May 2016
    Damn good job! Well done, I can imagine myself looking online for answers. It's great that there's a plethora of info available for common issues like that online. Unlike more luxurious cars, American muscle cars have a ton of owners that aren't afraid to get their hands dirty!
  • dsrtdwelrdsrtdwelr Member Posts: 2
    There is a machined aluminum replacement piece that replaces a molded plastic ratchet which breaks over time causing the present malady. Been there, done that. Find it on one of the enthusiast forums. Good hunting!
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Once a car gets to be more than 5 years old or so carrying a basic tool kit is mandatory. Even if you aren't the least bit handy, a bystander might be able to help, but not without tools.
  • ajacobson03ajacobson03 Member Posts: 11
    Good ol' Chrysler! I'm sure the average joe who decided not to look up how to fix this would have taken it to a shop and been charged several hundred dollars.
  • moparfoolmoparfool Member Posts: 8
    Good to see that not much has changed at Chrysler over the years - still using wear prone, cheap plastic parts in the transmission linkage. I had a 1979 Dodge Omni with a four speed manual whose linkage was held together with plastic clips. I quickly learned to carry spare linkage connectors, adding to the pile of spare repair parts I needed to carry.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747

Good ol' Chrysler! I'm sure the average joe who decided not to look up how to fix this would have taken it to a shop and been charged several hundred dollars.

Average Joe needs a local shop capable of repairing his car when something breaks. They won't be there for him if the business isn't successful.