Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Who Needs the 5? - 2016 BMW 340i xDrive Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2016 in BMW
Who Needs the 5? - 2016 BMW 340i xDrive Long-Term Road Test

The current BMW 3 Series is almost as big as the 5 Series from the late '90s and early '00s, and we've got detailed specs and a side-by-side photo with our long-term 2016 BMW 340i to prove it.

Read the full story here

Comments

• legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    That and the 2016 5 is bigger still.
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    This is something that I've whined about online before. Particularly with the "mid-size" trucks. They're basically the same size as Full Size trucks from the late 90s - early 2000s. Everyone says they WANT a small truck. The car companies finally start offering us a "small-ish" truck, but it's not what we've been clamoring for. They're still too large, have too many "standard" features, that have too high of a price. When it's within 3 grand of a full size truck, you're going to hurt sales. The same applies (at least size wise) to most cars today. A compact car today is about the same size as a mid-size from 20 years ago.
  • mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    Oh how I miss the E39. My wife had a 2001 540i for years and it remains one of my favorite cars we have owned. There isn't a BMW on the market today anywhere near as close to as perfect as that car was dynamically.
  • handbrakehandbrake Member Posts: 99
    The first thing I thought of when I saw the pic on the intro to this car was that it looked a lot like my dear, departed 2000 528. I can tell you why I'd rather have the old 5...it was a true driver's car. The new BMWs leave me cold. I don't like turbo engines, I don't like the watered down driving dynamics, I don't like all of the tech gimmicks. If I could buy a new 2000 528, I'd do it. Yeah, it was not powerful on paper but that N/A 6 was so smooth and flexible, and it worked perfectly with the way the car was set up to handle...I wouldn't buy a new BMW.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    @daryleason - I don't understand the comment about midsize trucks having too many features. Not many people are looking for a barebones truck (or car) anymore, but if you wanted a bog-standard Colorado then you could just order one -- they only cost about $23,000.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    "Why would you buy a 5 Series, anyway?"

You paid $60k for a 3 series. You DID buy a 5 series.
  • 5vzfe5vzfe Member Posts: 161
    5 series size = 5 series price
    @misterfusion : Actually, the reason that Ford & GM killed off the Ford Ranger & S-10 pickups was because sales had dropped pretty low. At the time, they said it was because consumers weren't interested in small pickups. The truth is that it was because Ford and GM stopped investing money in the models. So where with all other models, you could expect to see a redesign on the vehicle approximately every 4 - 5 years, with a mid-cycle refresh thrown in, the Ford Ranger sold in 2012 was fundamentally the same as the Ford Ranger sold in 1998. The customers only abandoned the market because the manufacturers abandoned their customers. Now, we have Mid-size trucks that are nearly the same dimensions as a Full Size truck from 20 years ago, with a price tag and fuel economy about the same as the Full size trucks.

I believe that there's still a market for a true small truck, with a decent four cylinder engine, without all of the bells and whistles, that won't struggle to get up to 70-75 mph, that can return decent fuel economy. There's plenty of people, some of whom already own a Full-Size truck, that would be happy to have a small truck for light truck duty that could double as a fuel efficient daily driver. Save the full-size expensive truck for when you NEED it for towing, or want a long trip in comfort, but have a decent small truck, with an AC for short trips to Home Depot or back and forth to work.

Of course, I'm also the guy that wishes they'd bring back vent windows. Those things are freaking awesome.
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    As someone who thought the 3 series was right sized years ago, I'm driving a 1 series today and figuring I'll replace it with a 2-something. Almost the same size inside as the old 3s. But heavier, thanks to modern safety and luxury standards.
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    e39 > f30.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    The F30 is already too massive- and the controls feel artificial and isolated- a totally uninvolving drive(although RWD, the Adaptive M Suspension and Variable Sports Steering can make it a bit more enjoyable). Meanwhile, the F10 5er has become a cushy luxobarge that is primarily purchased in an attempt to broadcast the disposable income of the "wearer" behind the wheel.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• bassracerxbassracerx Member Posts: 188

@misterfusion : Actually, the reason that Ford & GM killed off the Ford Ranger & S-10 pickups was because sales had dropped pretty low. At the time, they said it was because consumers weren't interested in small pickups. The truth is that it was because Ford and GM stopped investing money in the models. So where with all other models, you could expect to see a redesign on the vehicle approximately every 4 - 5 years, with a mid-cycle refresh thrown in, the Ford Ranger sold in 2012 was fundamentally the same as the Ford Ranger sold in 1998. The customers only abandoned the market because the manufacturers abandoned their customers. Now, we have Mid-size trucks that are nearly the same dimensions as a Full Size truck from 20 years ago, with a price tag and fuel economy about the same as the Full size trucks.

I believe that there's still a market for a true small truck, with a decent four cylinder engine, without all of the bells and whistles, that won't struggle to get up to 70-75 mph, that can return decent fuel economy. There's plenty of people, some of whom already own a Full-Size truck, that would be happy to have a small truck for light truck duty that could double as a fuel efficient daily driver. Save the full-size expensive truck for when you NEED it for towing, or want a long trip in comfort, but have a decent small truck, with an AC for short trips to Home Depot or back and forth to work.

Of course, I'm also the guy that wishes they'd bring back vent windows. Those things are freaking awesome.

honestly a transit connect is exactly what you are describing bro you can load it with 2,000 pounds (or more) and you can fit a TON of stuff in there. you can get about 22-23 mpg around town and close to 30 on the highway. and ford dealers are selling them brand new as low as 14k
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Or just get a minivan for more comfort, covered lockable storage, and you can even tow a bit. Oh, and the liftover height is about two feet less.
    LOL @stever & his minivan lust.

@brassracerx : I actually like the Transit Connect. I just don't want a van. While a cargo area that is provided by a van, minivan, or SUV can be very useful, I feel a small pickup bed is more versatile. I have two truck-based vehicles. One is a 1989 Chevy Suburban the other is a 2013 F-150 Supercrew. The Suburban has a LOT more cargo space than the 5 1/2" foot bed on the F-150 (plus the vent windows, which are still awesome). However, if I need to move a fridge, it's the F-150 that's going to be able to handle the job.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited May 2016
    I like the TC too but the one we tested didn't ride all that well - too "commercial". And it's really geared for the city, not the road.

(I've moved several fridges in minivans. Just ease them down to the gate and slide them in. Try that with a 34" liftover height on a typical pickup. The trick is not to plug them back in for 24 hours after they've been lying on their side to let the oil drain back into the compressor).
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    Why buy the 5? Why middle managers want to get into top management?
  • greg128greg128 Member Posts: 526
    edited May 2016
    aspade said:

Why buy the 5? Because no matter how many options you tick off on this one it still looks like a $349 lease special and as such doesn't advertise to your neighbors and co-workers that you're better than they are.

Now that is funny