Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Difficulties reading dashboard (especially digital speedometer) during daylight hours

wallylawnbcwallylawnbc Member Posts: 6
edited May 2016 in Buick
I recently completed an 1200 mile trip, and while the vehicle performed well, it was a nightmare trying to read the instrument panel during the day.
Has anyone had this problem? the panel is only lit at night and there is no way to raise the lights except at night and this is at a minimum.

Comments

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    Try turning off the automatic headlights and see if the dash gets brighter.
  • wallylawnbcwallylawnbc Member Posts: 6
    Tried that, didn't work. I'm trying to find anyone that may have had the same problem.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I've been searching around but so far this doesn't seem to be a common complaint.

Tried that, didn't work. I'm trying to find anyone that may have had the same problem.

Even if you would find someone with seemingly similar symptoms, each issue should always be analyzed on it's own. Is this still under warranty? Has a tech checked to make sure that the cluster is at full daylight brightness? What about other displays such as the radio, or overhead console if equipped. Do they (and the cluster) dim when you turn the headlights on manually and respond to the dimmer control?

Car has been checked out, initially a defective sensor was found and fixed. Cluster is only lit at night or with cloudy conditions. Dimmer only works at night and has very little effect. Car is new with less than 1300 miles.
    Next sunny day, when you struggle to see the cluster, take some photos of it and upload them here. Plus, head back to the dealer so they can see how difficult it is to read. Since the dimmer works when the headlights would be expected to be on, it sounds like it just isn't bright enough. By chance, inspect the instrument cluster face carefully. Is there a protective plastic film on it that might have been overlooked and should have been removed?
    Will do when I can take the pictures. Dealer has seen the problem and I have spoken to Buick. I get the feeling it's a problem they know, but will not acknowledge. I'm just surprised there aren't more complaints. My solution will have to be less use of sunglasses.

My solution will have to be less use of sunglasses.

Hmmm, I was wondering if there could be more to the story. Is this suggesting the cluster can be seen reasonably well without your sunglasses, but difficult with them? How dark are the glasses? Are they polarized?

I'm not sure if they're polarized, however glasses shouldn't be a problem, never was in the past. Bottom line the instrument panel lighting should be able to lighten or darken at any time. Even at night very little leeway is given.
    I've run into situations where polarized lenses were out of phase with instrument clusters causing them (or parts of them) to appear very dark. To prove if this is happening, while stopped, remove your sun glasses and while just holding them and looking through them at the instrument panel try rotating them to see if the light coming from panel changes.
    http://www.allaboutvision.com/sunglasses/polarized.htm

When the headlights are on, the dash-light intensity should have a pretty wide range of adjustment.

It's entirely possible that the dash is working as designed. It might not be to your preference, but that doesn't mean it is faulty and can be "repaired". It's even possible the sensor that was replaced wasn't bad, and that may have been replaced only because it amounted to a variable that is otherwise difficult to account for. If all of the inputs check out about the only thing that could be possible would be a software change by the manufacturer or a cluster repair/replacement. The problem is that if it is working correctly, that will be proven when it gets back to Buick and they will void the warranty claim leaving the dealer hanging.
    I would agree that the dash might be working as designed, however that doesn't mean it's right. I lease my cars every 3 years. The last 2 leases were GMC Terrains (never had a problem wearing the same sunglasses) As I have indicated there is no way to adjust brightness during sunny daylight hours. I have never had this problem with brightness with any of my cars since my first one almost 60 years ago. Bought new then, only started leasing the past 21 years.
  • bobjosiebobjosie Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2014 Buick Encore and have an issue with the instrument panel, you can't see it during the daylight especially, have taken to Buick dealer and they say nothing they can do. To this is a safety issue., The instrument panel does not light much at all during the daylight. Will be trading it for something else.
    Marlene
  • ShalimarShalimar Member Posts: 2
    Many older drivers and even some younger ones have problems seeing cars speedometer and instruments with glare from certain angles. Easy fix for me when driving any vehicle is to wear a pair of sunglasses upside down. This means on a bright glary day looking down the road No Glare. However as the sunglasses are upside down and you look at the speedometer it is brilliant and clear even without dash lights on. But on a dull day or at night with dash lights on all easy to see. Only one word of warning when stopped by a police breathalyser if the officer sees you with your sunglasses upside down he may think you are drunk or crazy.

Keep Smiling and drive safely.
  • ShalimarShalimar Member Posts: 2
    Sorry forgot to mention about when sunglasses are upside down because of the higher level looking down the road through the sunglasses during daylight hours, No Glare. This means the irises of your eyes will be much larger than if there was daylight glare striking the. So when you look down at the speedometer and instruments below the lower level of the sunglasses your eyesight will be brilliant.

Try it... Works for Me!