Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Getting Estimates for a New Windshield: Part 1 - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2016 in Mazda
Getting Estimates for a New Windshield: Part 1 - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

A sandstorm damaged our 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata's windshield. I called around to get prices.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Sorry I know I repeat myself constantly, but did you not call a few local Glass shops? I wouldn't imagine that the windshield itself should require OEM since there is no rain-sensing tech on it. Our local shop came out and installed Pilkington (with auto-dimming) for our Pilot for $277 out the door. OEM Quality as Pilkington and PPGW are the two main suppliers. I've heard many bad things about the Chinese imported Safelight glass.
  • Options
    markinnaples_markinnaples_ Member Posts: 251
    Tease.
  • Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    It seems making an insurance claim would be the best way to go. My windshield deductible is $100 and for a newer car they would install OEM glass.
  • Options
    dldavedldave Member Posts: 46
    I have a 2015 A3 and when my windshield got smashed by some object, I went to the dealer and asked who they used to replace the windshield. I then contacted my insurance company and found out that the installer was one of their approved installers and also was able to use OEM glass for about 100. With all that stuff like rain sensors, I wanted the tech to know how to handle it in my car.
  • Options
    longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    I don't get the prices they pay for windshields...in NY State, we commonly have $0 deductible glass coverage. Body damage - you can still drive the car; you don't even need to get it fixed if you're a slob, so having a deductible is OK, but glass is relatively fragile, and expensive, and you can't use the car if any one of the windows is broken...so an arrangement where you have to pay out of pocket for glass coverage...that's nuts.