Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Thanks, all. I think my son is really going to like it.

I half kiddingly told the VW dealer after they reworked the $250 alleged doc fee that I should charge $100 for my time and gas to drive to the dealership as a "purchaser's fee". They smiled nervously, thinking I might be serious.

Q.....hmmmm...that doesn't sound good (literally). Hope they get the exhaust issue sorted quickly.

Volvos...not a car I ever seriously considered. But, the people I've known that have owned them, swear by them. Pretty hefty discount. What do those S 60 Polestar (what the heck is a Polestar) vehicles sell for before rebates?

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,961
    nyccarguy said:

Doc Fees - the dealer closest to my house in Stamford, CT had a cheaper selling price than the dealer I ended up buying my Legacy from (Rye, NY about 20 minutes South).  Once you added Stamford's "conveyance fee" to the equation, their price was $100 more.  They didn't want to get rid of their conveyance fee.  They didn't wantvto knock another $100 off the price.  I ended up buying & servicing in Rye, NY.

Doc fees are all over the place in our area. Very, very few don't charge a doc fee, most are from $499-999! Good grief, that will kill what you might think to be a decent deal. I have made it a point to ask up front of what extra fees, doc, admin, etc. they charge upfront before I even start to negotiate.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,341

kyfdx said:

Nice.. and, now I'm jealous.

Which dealer?

Walt...son purchased at Kings VW! Fairfield VW were the ones who were pretty miserable to work with.
    Congrats! I've never had a bad experience at a Kings dealership.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,923
    edited May 2016
    I am only seeing $5500 off the Polestar V60 in my area on truecar, which still makes it $9k more than I paid for my V Sport. They just made those way too damned expensive. Hell, Volvos have gotten pricey across the board. I mean, we're talking $60k for a 3-series wagon competitor, which means, pricewise, it is competing with a 535x.

Speaking of which, you can get $6k off sticker on that car, making it cheaper than the aforementioned Polestar.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    It's $250 everywhere in Ohio, because that's the maximum allowed by statute.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,603
    nyccarguy said:
    I'd be surprised if there were many leftover Polestars out there.

As a sidenote, I got a funny envelope from Sweden recently. Opened it up to find the blue Polestar badge to go with the tuning upgrade I had done. Hence the avatar. Blue and brown, color combo of champions.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,709
    Congrats @graphicguy! I'm curious how much difference the performance pack makes in day to day driving? I suppose not much, but certainly makes one when pushed a bit. I could see another GTI in the stable. Would work well if I keep the X5 and still want a fun car that's more economical than the S4.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

Wonder how well those polestar swill hold their value. I'd like to think one could pick up a lightly used one for a hefty discount, but they're rare enough that they may maintain decent demand. A used polestar blue wagon would be pretty cool.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,603
    Yeah, I am surprised to hear of any incentive. When I picked up my car, I casually asked the dealer about the wagon and was told it was sold out months ago.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

breld said:

Congrats @graphicguy!

I'm curious how much difference the performance pack makes in day to day driving? I suppose not much, but certainly makes one when pushed a bit.

I could see another GTI in the stable. Would work well if I keep the X5 and still want a fun car that's more economical than the S4.

breld....good question. My son did most of the test driving. I did get in a little and had a blast doing it. He'd be able to answer you better than I could.

Personally, I didn't think he needed the performance pack. He's not going to track it. But, hard to argue with bigger brakes and a limited slip being added to any car. Probably feel it through curves and braking before a turn.

Nice cars. Almost makes me want to consider an Audi, again!
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382
    Congrats, GG. Your son made an excellent choice if I do say so myself. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    nyccarguy said:

Count me as a big believer and huge fan of the PDK transmission

The PDK brought a smile to my face when I test drove the Cayman S. It was like "Yes!!!! this is what I'm talking about! Finally something to match my Audi DSG's" Ultimately, no back seat and the TTS having more "oomph" from my butt dyno proved to be the deciders. Cayman S has slightly more HP on paper, but it is a Honda-like rev-happy engine, so I think the difference is torque and low/mid RPM punch in Audi's favor.

Also Porsche is very expensive, even used.

Not to be outdone for long, the '17 Cayman's coming out at the end of this year are to be much improved.

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

breld said:

Congrats @graphicguy!

I'm curious how much difference the performance pack makes in day to day driving? I suppose not much, but certainly makes one when pushed a bit.

I could see another GTI in the stable. Would work well if I keep the X5 and still want a fun car that's more economical than the S4.

breld....good question. My son did most of the test driving. I did get in a little and had a blast doing it. He'd be able to answer you better than I could.

Personally, I didn't think he needed the performance pack. He's not going to track it. But, hard to argue with bigger brakes and a limited slip being added to any car. Probably feel it through curves and braking before a turn.

The better brakes and limited slip have got to be worth it (how much $ difference?)! Safety first!. If you are going GTI, might as well go all the way; otherwise just get a Golf. I know these have stout engines that can safely and reliably handle a stage 1 tune to 250-270 HP, but it's nice not to have to worry about warranty concerns I suppose.

I haven't test driven a Mazda 3 in a long time, but I think your son made the wise choice. The last Mazda rental I drove felt like it had very thin sheet metal compared to my A3.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Well, I've sold my 2013 Honda Accord. It's been a great car but we are moving and only want to drive one across country. Although I like it a lot -- a perfect road trip car -- I would like to downsize. Both of us so enjoy our little Buick Encore and we want to keep to that size range. With kids grown and just us and the dog, it makes sense. I've got my eye on a Mazda 3 but we will make do with one car until we move (about a month from now).
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    andres3 said:

breld said:

Congrats @graphicguy!

The better brakes and limited slip have got to be worth it (how much $ difference?)! Safety first!. If you are going GTI, might as well go all the way; otherwise just get a Golf. I know these have stout engines that can safely and reliably handle a stage 1 tune to 250-270 HP, but it's nice not to have to worry about warranty concerns I suppose.

I haven't test driven a Mazda 3 in a long time, but I think your son made the wise choice. The last Mazda rental I drove felt like it had very thin sheet metal compared to my A3.
    I was just dealing with "bottom line" numbers. So frankly, I don't know how much more the GTI with Performance Pack was vs a standard GTI.

Drivetrain feels really stout, so not sure how it compares to the drivetrain in a regular Golf.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited May 2016
    suydam said:

Well, I've sold my 2013 Honda Accord. It's been a great car but we are moving and only want to drive one across country. Although I like it a lot -- a perfect road trip car -- I would like to downsize. Both of us so enjoy our little Buick Encore and we want to keep to that size range. With kids grown and just us and the dog, it makes sense. I've got my eye on a Mazda 3 but we will make do with one car until we move (about a month from now).

Saw a nice Encore shopping around lunch and thought of you.

My wife is heading up to ABQ to take care of a girlfriend who broke her leg canyoneering in Zion the other day. So I'll be carless for a few days. (Thus the shopping today).

It'll be nice being able to play in the garage without having to move the van out every morning. :)

Got a new set of springs on the garage door this morning. $170. The kits online are $100 (not including the ER bills when you try to install them). Two techs, 20 minutes. Guy ballparked $3,000 for a new, all glass door. I've lusted after those for years. He said many of the new houses being built here are switching to those, albeit with frosted glass. I wanna be able to look out myself. Maybe in the next house.

Michaell said:

Nice job, @graphicguy !

Funny how "all in" has a different definition to the dealer than it does to you.

Love that you stuck to your guns.

Hope your son has many happy years and miles with the new GTI.

And, like @kyfdx, I'm jealous as well.

Micheall...yeah, you're right. There always seems to be another "fee" right around the corner when doing new car deals. Tiresome, for certain. I get it. It costs something to process paperwork. But, $250 for 5 minutes of "pre-printing" some forms? As I understand it, it's worse in other parts of the country. Crazy.

What's next? "Turn on the lights" fee? "Using the Men's Room" fee?

All in means all in. I don't know how you can misconstrue that as "all in except for some other fees you may think of".
    Another one that they try to get away with is advertising fees.

Since they don't advertise the TTS, I would argue that one. I do see plenty of commercials for the A4, A6, Q5, and Q7 though.
  • thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,216
    stever said
    ...Got a new set of springs on the garage door this morning. $170. The kits online are $100 (not including the ER bills when you try to install them)...
    True dat.  Those puppies are dangerous.   :s
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
    edited May 2016

If the abysmal service departments of my local VW dealers weren't enough to keep me away, the sales department of my local dealer put the final nail in the coffin. Back in 2007 I wanted to order a GTI to my specs and the imbeciles acted like ordering a car had the same difficulty level as trying to create a cold fusion reactor. I'm afraid VW is off my list permanently.
    VW's stubborn insistence on getting sticker or close to it on the Golf R has cost them sales I am sure. It seems they are starting to sit and collect dust a bit, as the people that had to have them despite the VW dealer groups "issues," already have them.

Much easier to deal with if it is easy to find your configuration on the lot. VW claims they don't do "orders."
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Speaking of VW, I just earlier today received an email from the local VW dealer.

If you are still in the market for a new VW, May is the time to act! Our Memorial Day Sales Event was announced today on the Passat, Jetta and Tiguan. You can get up to $4,000 off a Tiguan, up to $5,750 off of a Passat and up to $4,000 off on a Jetta. That can get you lease pay
    ments to $230 per month on a Jetta with $0 down.
    There are probably pieces of that rebate money that most won't qualify for, but it still sounds interesting.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica

breld said:

Congrats @graphicguy!

I never wanted to track any of my cars until I got my A3. Now that he has his GTI, don't be too surprised if it causes him to become more of an enthusiast with an urge to take it on the track, or at least go wild on back country canyon carving roads.
    ab348 said:

qbrozen said:

On the plus side, it has Carplay and I averaged over 33 mpg on the way to work (95% highway), but on the downside, it rides terrible in comparison to my CTS (little bumps I never feel in mine jar the entire structure of the ATS), lets in far more road noise, is cramped, and the seat is not as comfortable. I'm sure it is a nice little car taken by itself, it is no CTS, though.

Well, I love mine because it feels so connected to the road. And the exhaust hasn't fallen off it either. ;)
    I noticed the suspension was "up-settable" during a test drive as well in the ATS. Might have something to do with shorter wheelbases I'm guessing. I've noticed in my new Audi TTS that while usually comfortable enough in normal driving in comfort mode, some types of bumps or irregularities are more noticeable for sure. Speed bumps are more annoying than before too.
    $1,495 for the performance pack on the GTI. Seems worth it for sure - trouble is finding one.

A while back, I test drove a base model with the performance and lighting packages. Nice combination - and with plaid seats!

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    edited May 2016
    breld said:

$1,495 for the performance pack on the GTI. Seems worth it for sure - trouble is finding one.

A while back, I test drove a base model with the performance and lighting packages. Nice combination - and with plaid seats!

I really like the plaid GTI seats!

Always liked a good quality cloth seat. Back in 2005/6 when the first A3's were coming out in the USA, you could actually get a really nice "Audi" cloth seat in black, grey, or beige. I would have loved to get cloth seats, but unfortunately getting cloth meant settling for a base car, which meant no sport package (suspension a part of that), and no beautiful leather 3-spoke steering wheel. You had to settle for a frumpy old looking 4-spoke plastic steering wheel. Not to mention finding a cloth Audi was like finding a Unicorn.

I have a thing for nice steering wheels; don't judge me :smile:
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I don't think I'm gonna take that bait Andres ;)
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966
    Passed on the lighting package on my Golf as the $995 price was a bit steep...they did look pretty cool though. Got to drive a almost new 2016 CC today at work. My lead driver put it aside for me knowing I'd want to drive it. Very powerful with the 2.0t engine and the perforated leather seats were very comfortable. Decent stereo setup which seemed to have plenty of power through the speakers, had more power then my Fender system. Surprised there aren't more of them on the road because they really are a nice ride.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,486
    I love the plaid seats. Classic. Kinda on the skinny side though!

I did look up the performance pack. Was curious if they made you take summer tires with it, but does not seem so. 10 HP, snazzy rotors and a LSD. Probably still a decent value, but my guess is that I would never really notice it in my normal driving, and I will likely never track it. So not a deal breaker to me either way.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

My son's VW dealer has a metallic grey, 6 speed, Golf R in stock. I'm betting I can make a deal on it if anyone here really wants it.

Passed on the lighting package on my Golf as the $995 price was a bit steep...they did look pretty cool though. Got to drive a almost new 2016 CC today at work. My lead driver put it aside for me knowing I'd want to drive it. Very powerful with the 2.0t engine and the perforated leather seats were very comfortable. Decent stereo setup which seemed to have plenty of power through the speakers, had more power then my Fender system. Surprised there aren't more of them on the road because they really are a nice ride.

My better half bought a new Passat in 2008, came with the 2.0t engine, great car, very zippy, lots of room inside. Fast forward 4 years, the Passat is paid for, she wants to buy another one. Only now you can't get the 2.0t in the Passat. Salesman tried to upsell her to the CC. No sell, she (and I) were very unimpressed. Yes, you could get the 2.0t engine. But it was basically the same size car as the Passat, but with a lot less interior space, both in the cabin and the trunk.

andres3 said:

breld said:

Always liked a good quality cloth seat. Back in 2005/6 when the first A3's were coming out in the USA, you could actually get a really nice "Audi" cloth seat in black, grey, or beige. I would have loved to get cloth seats, but unfortunately getting cloth meant settling for a base car, which meant no sport package (suspension a part of that), and no beautiful leather 3-spoke steering wheel. You had to settle for a frumpy old looking 4-spoke plastic steering wheel. Not to mention finding a cloth Audi was like finding a Unicorn.

Actually, I agree with you. The 2016 Chrysler Town and Country that I'm driving this week (rental) has some very uncomfortable stitching on the leather steering wheel. Not a deal breaker, but if I owned one I would have to have some kind of cover for the thing. What's the point of a leather wrapped steering wheel that is uncomfortable to hold on to?

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,341
    henryn said:

andres3 said:

breld said:

Actually, I agree with you. The 2016 Chrysler Town and Country that I'm driving this week (rental) has some very uncomfortable stitching on the leather steering wheel. Not a deal breaker, but if I owned one I would have to have some kind of cover for the thing. What's the point of a leather wrapped steering wheel that is uncomfortable to hold on to?

One nice touch I've always liked about BMWs is that they stitch the wheel on the rear of the spokes so that the stitching is not where you rest your thumbs when you hold the wheel at the proper 9 and 3 hand positions.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

My 2006 DTS has a leather wrapped steering wheel. The stitching is really smooth, completely non obtrusive. That wheel is a pleasure to hold, wrap your hands around. This T&C feels like they used nylon fishing line to stitch it up.

My son's VW dealer has a metallic grey, 6 speed, Golf R in stock. I'm betting I can make a deal on it if anyone here really wants it.

Find out if they will let you test drive it first. LOL.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,923
    Odd. I don't really like our 2014 T&C steering wheel, but haven't noticed the stitching. We have a Limited, and the wheel is like half plastic and half smooth... i guess leather. They must have changed it again.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

henryn said:

andres3 said:

breld said:

Sounds like some UAW bad stitching job? Or is it Mexico? They do sell driving gloves, not a fan of steering wheel covers or big fuzzy dice blocks on the rear view mirror.
    henryn said:

My better half bought a new Passat in 2008, came with the 2.0t engine, great car, very zippy, lots of room inside. Fast forward 4 years, the Passat is paid for, she wants to buy another one. Only now you can't get the 2.0t in the Passat. Salesman tried to upsell her to the CC. No sell, she (and I) were very unimpressed. Yes, you could get the 2.0t engine. But it was basically the same size car as the Passat, but with a lot less interior space, both in the cabin and the trunk.

Before Dieselgate you could get a 2.0L Passat, but it was the TDI. I think that's the way I'd want one if they leased it for under $200 month.
    andres3 said:

The dealer knew I liked the R when we were in there buying my son's car. They offered to let me test drive it. So, pretty sure if I went back and asked, they'd let me take it out.

andres3 said:

The dealer knew I liked the R when we were in there buying my son's car. They offered to let me test drive it. So, pretty sure if I went back and asked, they'd let me take it out.
    That's good to hear. Maybe with all the imbeciles that had to be first to own one and pay full sticker dealt with, dealers will start coming back down to Earth and reality. I was watching the Golf R market like a hawk for a good amount of time. The DDC (adaptive suspension) models sell very fast. The "base" Golf R's tend to sit for awhile and even online quotes were going well below sticker.

I think it has to be a DDC as it really is a bargain cost wise (w/ NAV thrown in) and it adds a few things I think should be standard:

1) 8.5" wide wheels vs. 8" (I don't care about 19 vs. 18 diameter, but the width difference (and tire minimizing) is a shame).
    2) Fender Audio System
    3) I like VW's method of 3 different distinct calibration settings instead of Audi's 2 settings with another 2 that are just versions and mixes of the first 2.

Flaws are:

1) No spare tire (very minor to me).
    2) Since there is no spare, they should have put the heavy car battery way in the back, as far back and as low and as far to the right as possible like in my TTS. This not only makes the battery last a lot longer due to no heat from the engine bay, but also helps balance the weight of the car much better.
    3) The center armrest console is not operable. Very strange that you can't open it and use it for storage. (minor, but annoying; there is a you tube video to make it operable, but then there's no closing/locking latch.
    4) No incentives from VW.
    5) I haven't driven the R, but in the TTS Audi took the time and care to quattro-ify the Haldex 5th generation AWD system in dynamic mode as it becomes a 60% rear-biased beast much like the Torsen system in the S4.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257
    My E39 was still on its 10+ year old factory battery. I'm sure the lack of heat in the trunk helped its lifespan. 
    On the Passat, don't discount the 1.8t engine. Quite possibly you won't notice any real difference in normal use. Not like when the base motor was the 2.5l 5.

On the Passat, don't discount the 1.8t engine. Quite possibly you won't notice any real difference in normal use. Not like when the base motor was the 2.5l 5.

stickguy said:

I have driven the Passat with the 1.8t. I did notice. Quite a bit of difference to me. The 1.8t is "acceptable". The 2.0t is a rocketship, hell of a lot of fun to drive.

andres3 said:

henryn said:

Before Dieselgate you could get a 2.0L Passat, but it was the TDI. I think that's the way I'd want one if they leased it for under $200 month.
    I don't drive enough miles to really appreciate the diesel. I seem to recall problems with the adblue systems if you make a lot of short trips (which I do). And the diesel, while reasonable to drive, and very economical, was not fun. The 2008 Passat with the 2.0t was a real blast. Nothing like blowing the doors off some kid in an older Mustang GT while driving a very sedate looking VW sedan.

henryn said:

andres3 said:

henryn said:

I don't drive enough miles to really appreciate the diesel. I seem to recall problems with the adblue systems if you make a lot of short trips (which I do). And the diesel, while reasonable to drive, and very economical, was not fun. The 2008 Passat with the 2.0t was a real blast. Nothing like blowing the doors off some kid in an older Mustang GT while driving a very sedate looking VW sedan.

Count me in the category of thinking Audi/VW's 2.0T is a gem of an engine, and a blast to drive. It does best with cars weighing in at under 3,500 pounds. Any idea what Passats weigh these days?
    I agree - VW's 2.0T is a great engine. Have had a couple of GTIs, an older Jetta with it, an A3, and the recent S3.

But I'm also a big fan of the 1.8T - had it in my Passat, and now in the daughter's Jetta Sport. I imagine some of the affection for the older Passat with the 2.0T has less to do with the engine itself, and more to do of the "Americanization" of the Passat from that previous model to the current one. The CC would indeed be a good opportunity to get the "old" Passat feel, albeit with less rear seat room.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,895
    "My E39 was still on its 10+ year old factory battery."

My 04 Grand Marquis went 10+ years as well on the OEM Motorcraft battery. I replaced it one really cold morning when I noticed some slow cranking (really slow). I figure I got my money's worth out of it.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,961
    This is as close to getting a GTI that I've gotten. Bought new in Sept 94, a 95 Jetta GLX VR6, 5 sp. It had the optional black leather interior with Recaro like seats. I paid an extra $300 for the keyless remote entry. What was neat is the ignition key had a built in flashlight that was activated by pressing the VW logo. Fun car, VR6 was smooth and came alive past 3500 rpm with a very nice sound. I think the car was listed around $21k.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

andres3 said: