Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Sold to Carmax - 2015 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2016 in Ford
Sold to Carmax - 2015 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test

After just over one year and 35,000 miles it's time to sell our 2015 Ford F-150. We were surprised by the result.

Read the full story here

Comments

• jeffksf1jeffksf1 Member Posts: 7
    How about the new Nissan Titan?
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    ridgeline.
  • dscaindscain Member Posts: 15
    Did you tell them about the sledgehammer?
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    I like Edmunds, I use it to research vehicles, but I have to admit, I don't have much faith on y'all's True Value estimates. I know there's a difference between asking price and selling price, and for new or nearly new vehicles, y'all may be spot on, at least for your area. But out here in Texas, it seems like for older, used vehicles, y'all built the calculations while on LSD. I've seen used cars that Edmunds said it was worth sub-20 dollar prices. And there was an article on www.jalopnik.com where Doug DeMuro wrote about a Kia Spectra that Edmunds valued at NEGATIVE ~$30. Which meant, according to Edmunds, you'd have to literally pay someone to take the car (it was a 2002 model, I think). Cars will at least always be worth the scrap value.

On the F-150, I don't see why they'd offer above your own value, even if they'd "never seen an EcoBoost before" (which seems odd/like a lie), when you could get lower mileage versions for less money. Something isn't making sense with this post.
  • dscaindscain Member Posts: 15
    Carmax has it listed online for $41,998. They gave big money, they're asking big money.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Wow! 29% off MSRP after 3 years worth of mileage put on the vehicle! Wow! Imagine if you had been able to buy one at 10% off MSRP. You would've been looking at only a 20% depreciation and that's getting a check after 20 minutes.

I'm starting to see the "light" that due to high demand for recent low mileage vehicles, that the whole "keep till the wheels fall off" isn't the best thing to do (especially given high repair and maintenance costs) especially if you value newer cars.

You lose on taxes and fees, but in this example, if you could get the same offer on a vehicle at 10% off MSRP, then you're talking $267 a month for a $50,000 vehicle. Not too shabby.
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    edited May 2016

I like Edmunds, I use it to research vehicles, but I have to admit, I don't have much faith on y'all's True Value estimates. I know there's a difference between asking price and selling price, and for new or nearly new vehicles, y'all may be spot on, at least for your area. But out here in Texas, it seems like for older, used vehicles, y'all built the calculations while on LSD. I've seen used cars that Edmunds said it was worth sub-20 dollar prices. And there was an article on www.jalopnik.com where Doug DeMuro wrote about a Kia Spectra that Edmunds valued at NEGATIVE ~$30. Which meant, according to Edmunds, you'd have to literally pay someone to take the car (it was a 2002 model, I think). Cars will at least always be worth the scrap value.

On the F-150, I don't see why they'd offer above your own value, even if they'd "never seen an EcoBoost before" (which seems odd/like a lie), when you could get lower mileage versions for less money. Something isn't making sense with this post.

Yeah, that hit me, too...62% of F150s are EcoBoost, split about evenly between the 2.7 and the 3.5, plus it is the most popular passenger vehicle sold in America...and this dude had never seen one before - ? Huh? You can't drive two blocks anywhere in this country without seeing an aluminum EcoBoost F150, and you can't drive ONE block without seeing either a steel or aluminum one.

Great that the truck has such low depreciation, though...and I suspect that up here in the Rust Belt, they are going to depreciate even less. If you live in Buffalo, or Detroit or Boston, ask yourself whether you want to buy a 3-year-old aluminum F150 or a steel Silverado or Ram...
  • mypathy2001mypathy2001 Member Posts: 18
    So, uh, given that you sold it to CarMax. What's the deal with the 2015 Acura TLX that hasn't been updated in over 2 months? I take it that it's sold, but nothing has changed online. What's the deal?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited May 2016
    Here's the TLX wrap-up. 25 percent depreciation.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    The Titan is sure to be next, but will it be the very expensive Cummins or the very inefficient 5.7 V8?
  • aspadeaspade Member Posts: 42
    That's shockingly high considering that an equivalent 2016 would run you 44 before taxes brand spanking new.
  • geezermikegeezermike Member Posts: 22
    NEXT: Ridgeline(interested) and Titan diesel(curious), and any full-size Regular-Cab Short-bed (interested) as a possible mid-size alternative for the size and total-cost.
    I'm still pushing for Edmunds to go buy a used F-150 or C1500 from the mid to late 90s and run it through its paces to show if there's really a point to spend 40 grand or more for a truck brand new. Yeah, the "creature comforts" are nice...but how well does a 20 year old truck compete against the new ones.

Also, we haven't heard anything on the Balkin Bullet lately, what's going on with that?
  • ballsonchinballsonchin Member Posts: 10

I'm still pushing for Edmunds to go buy a used F-150 or C1500 from the mid to late 90s and run it through its paces to show if there's really a point to spend 40 grand or more for a truck brand new. Yeah, the "creature comforts" are nice...but how well does a 20 year old truck compete against the new ones.

Also, we haven't heard anything on the Balkin Bullet lately, what's going on with that?

It would all depend on what you value. There is no way a 90's f150 could match the ride handling and luxury of my 2015 f150.

• allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Giving them more because of the Ecoboost engine is indicative of the demand. Carmax customers are probably asking for trucks specifically with the Ecoboost engine. If you're in the market for a F-150 this maybe something to keep in mind. I am but I plan on keeping it till the wheels fall off so I'm leaning more towards the 5.0 V8. If I was planning on trading or selling it in a few years it may be best to go with an Ecoboost engine.
    @ballsonchin : That's sort of my question. People are apt to say "There's no way it can compete" but who really knows. We THINK it's better, because we always assume that the vehicles get better with each model year. But is that really the case? I remember some really nicely equipped trucks from back then, when they were new. Yeah, they didn't have things like Bluetooth and climate control, but nothing really did back then, unless you were talking luxury cars. Ride & handling? I bet a 20 year old F-150, if it was equipped with new parts that were comparable to what was offered when it was new, wouldn't be too much different from a new truck today.

@allthingshonda : I'm kind of with you in your thinking. I think the 5.0 Coyote will prove to be more durable.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is looking to speak with shoppers who purchased a truck or SUV within the last six months. If you're willing to help, please contact pr@edmunds.com by no later than May 27, 2016.
  • bassracerxbassracerx Member Posts: 188

Wow! 29% off MSRP after 3 years worth of mileage put on the vehicle! Wow! Imagine if you had been able to buy one at 10% off MSRP. You would've been looking at only a 20% depreciation and that's getting a check after 20 minutes.

I'm starting to see the "light" that due to high demand for recent low mileage vehicles, that the whole "keep till the wheels fall off" isn't the best thing to do (especially given high repair and maintenance costs) especially if you value newer cars.

You lose on taxes and fees, but in this example, if you could get the same offer on a vehicle at 10% off MSRP, then you're talking $267 a month for a $50,000 vehicle. Not too shabby.

two things: you would need a large enough down payment and a short enough loan term so that you are never upside down on your vehicle. very hard to do considering how much a depreciation hit you take the moment you drive it off the lot

Also: the whole "drive it until the wheels fall off" mentality assumes you keep the car for a long time like 10 years. the moment you pay the car off its like the car is paying you to drive it assuming no major repairs are needed. so you can move the car note money into an account that will get interest. or just other parts of your life in general that will improve your life in other ways.