Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Using an EKM Meter to Track Power Consumption - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2016 in Tesla
Using an EKM Meter to Track Power Consumption - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test

Our Tesla Model X has in-car readouts that display on-road consumption, but we needed to add a meter to our charge station to track charging losses and total usage.

Read the full story here

Comments

• markinnaples_markinnaples_ Member Posts: 251
    Excellent. This should be an interesting exercise. If you used this on the previous Tesla, what were your results?
  • bolotiboloti Member Posts: 47
    You will use Excel for this! Awesome! (BTW - the gas logs for other cars - I'll be excited to see when the excel will come there!).
    On a serious note - this is indeed important, and it would be interesting to see what are the charging losses (I hope this is less than 2 gallons out of 12).
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    And now the Electric Car Lovers are going to freak out for the heresy of saying that the true cost of the electricity (and the inverse E-MPG) numbers are going to be changed from what Tesla and the EPA is publishing. In truth, this is not much different from how a car's digital Miles-Till-Empty, Average MPG, and Fuel Used can be off.
  • mfennellmfennell Member Posts: 91
    The EPA consumption figures (MPGe and kw/100 miles) are measured from the wall. The car reports from-the-battery numbers.
  • actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    mfennell said:

The EPA consumption figures (MPGe and kw/100 miles) are measured from the wall. The car reports from-the-battery numbers.

Yes, this is correct. The EPA consumption estimates for electric cars do indeed include the charging losses. The various in-car meters found in EVs do not.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    edited May 2016
    boloti said:

On a serious note - this is indeed important, and it would be interesting to see what are the charging losses (I hope this is less than 2 gallons out of 12).

Don't hold your breath!

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    Thanks for thinking of this. Looking forward to seeing how the meter readings "from the pump" compare to claims the onboard trip computer makes.
  • tom_in_mntom_in_mn Member Posts: 61
    The charging loss is in the same category as the gas lost due to the waste heat generated by an IC engine. In the summer you can't even use this heat for the occupants. And then there is loss of electricity getting to your meter that you don't get charged for (directly), kind of like the tanker truck gas getting fuel to the station. Entropy is a [non-permissible content removed] I believe it has been said.
  • throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    Good info as well. one of the many reasons I keep coming back to inside line. Yes, I know, but i prefer the old name.
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    Charging losses won't amount to much actual cost, I say.