Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Bad Seats Are Getting Worse - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2016 in Mazda
Bad Seats Are Getting Worse - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

The seats in our long-term 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata suck.

Read the full story here

Comments

• daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    Apparently, the saying "All answers are 'Miata' " also applies to the question of "what car has a bad seat?" Today is a red-letter day. We have a negative post about a Miata AND a post about how the Tesla products is (in effect) over-stating e-MPG and understating kWhs used. Let's put the Miata-fans in a ring with the Electro-philes and let them have the equivalent of a Celebrity Death Match (awesome show, by the way...they should bring it back).
  • gadrevuegadrevue Member Posts: 2
    What's your height and weight? Would this problem apply to all heights and weights?
  • masanori4585masanori4585 Member Posts: 3
    Do the leather seats in the GT model have the same problems?
  • djd352djd352 Member Posts: 31
    All the more reason to get the Fiat 124 spider. I personally think it looks much better wth the big headlights and bigger taillights. It also has much nicer upholstery and similar, but what looks like more bolstering on the seats. Not to mention that it has a turbo and is cheaper too! You guys should get one before you get rid of the Miata and compare... at the very least get a short-term loaner. :)
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    The Fiat Spyder has a small price premium, which might account for the nicer interior. I think the looks are a tad nicer from some angles. I actually think the Miata is "ape-ing" a BMW Z-series, sort of, which I don't care for all that much. But I think I'd go with the Miata's 4 cylinder over the Multi-Air. I just have a gut feeling the SkyActive will prove more durable than the Multi-Air. Probably more fuel efficient too.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    This has been an issue since the very first Miata (I have several thousand miles on gen 1 seats in my MGT-GT). For some reason Mazda simply can't seem to design an effective sports seat for this car.
  • meng_maomeng_mao Member Posts: 24
    @gadrevue
    asking the right questions.
  • subytrojansubytrojan Member Posts: 120
    The seats in my ND Club 6MT fit like a glove and aren't wearing as described above after 12,000+ miles. I am 5'8", 180-185 lbs. (I wear 36" x 32" pants.)
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580

This has been an issue since the very first Miata (I have several thousand miles on gen 1 seats in my MGT-GT). For some reason Mazda simply can't seem to design an effective sports seat for this car.

Seats are very subjective. I've got about 200,000 miles on a set in a 240Z and they are still good for an hour long commute.
  • wheelmccoywheelmccoy Member Posts: 97
    From what I've read, these seats are intentionally designed to be like the ergonomic Herman Miller Aeron chairs. The mesh is lighter and thinner than the cushion padding we are used to. But what makes a great office chair might not work for a sports car. Still, I'd like to know Reese's weight and height. I'd also like the other drivers to "weigh in" on the subject. :)
  • photobob15photobob15 Member Posts: 3
    8000 miles 2500 mile trip seats are great 6' 225 Ibs
  • metalmaniametalmania Member Posts: 167
    I haven't driven any Miata yet, but I have read/watched quite a lot of ND reviews and the seats do seem to be pretty subjective. This isn't the first negative comment I've seen about them. I think they did go with this design to save weight (like everything else on the car), but I'd have to agree a car like this should have great seats (which for some, apparently they are). I admire the weight saving mission they went on, but it sounds like a few things ended up questionable in quality for the sake of it. I don't really want to harp on the "more power" bandwagon, because I do "get it" that this car isn't about mega-speed, but maybe another 30 - 50 hp would allow things like better seats that might weigh a few more pounds without making it too heavy for the motor to keep things spirited. And I actually like the styling of the ND MX-5 better than the Fiat, but choice is good.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021

Seats are very subjective. I've got about 200,000 miles on a set in a 240Z and they are still good for an hour long commute.
    It's not that they are uncomfortable. I have taken several multi-hour trips without issue. They just aren't very sporty considering they come from a modern sports car (relative to my 20 year older car).
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    edited May 2016
    The 29 owners reviewing the Miata on Edmunds give this car 4/5 for comfort.

http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/mx-5-miata/2016/convertible/consumer-reviews/

So obviously the seats aren't as bad as Reese mentions. They just don't fit him.
  • frozenipaqfrozenipaq Member Posts: 2

Do the leather seats in the GT model have the same problems?

I've got over 3,000 miles in my GT right now (bought April 1st) and am not experiencing any of the complaints that this driver has. Then again I am also much smaller than most, at 5'6". I've been in the car for long and short drives and never once have I had a complaint about the seat. I've driven close to 6 hours straight in it and was comfortable the entire way. My seats are not showing much wear aside from where my wallet in my rear pocket ends up on the seat.
  • purplenightspurplenights Member Posts: 1
    Actually, I think these seats are better than the seats in the 2013 Club that I had. In those seats, after a while, my lower back would hurt and so I ended up buying a seat cushion with lower back support padding. That helped. I haven't needed the seat in the ND at all, and to me, the seat seems more supportive.
  • youcanrunnakedyoucanrunnaked Member Posts: 8
    I am 5' 10" 275 lbs and my ND's seat fits me perfectly, as they do my much smaller gf. The side bolsters are a good compromise between comfort and grip, and the center section material stays cool in direct sun, dries fast when it gets wet, and so far is wearing like iron -- exactly what you would want in a convertible. I have 11 mos and 8,000 miles on the car, including one 2,700 mile road trip, so take the author's griping with a grain of salt.