Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2016 Subaru Outback Pricing

dbatch13dbatch13 Member Posts: 2
edited February 2017 in Subaru
Hi all, new user here.

Negotiating a 16 Outback 3.6R with Nav/Eyesight with a dealer in central PA. Got a price of $35445. Adding a trailer hitch and remote start pushes the cost to $36412.50, excluding tax/tags/registration. They estimated that tags/registration will be about $300. Seems like the extras pricing is a little higher than I would expect. Has anyone had any similar dealings? Am I getting a good price here? Looks like the invoice without extras is $35848

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2015
    When I pencil it out, the 3.6R with the Eyesight option comes in at $34,653 invoice, $37,335 MSRP and TMV of $36,064. I didn't use a PA zip code so maybe there's an ad fee or something that makes your invoice slightly higher.

I think your $35,445 quote is pretty good. Subarus are selling like hotcakes so the dealers don't have to hunt for buyers. Check Fitzmall for comparisons in PA. That dealer is closer to DC but it's easy to check their prices online.

I wouldn't trust an aftermarket remote start.

Hidden Hitch used to make a good hitch for Outbacks for cheaper than OEM. I haven't kept up but you could ask about hitches over in the Subaru Crew and someone may know. The advantage to going with the dealer is that any issues should be covered under warranty (sometimes there are wiring issues...). But the hitch does sound a bit high, even at invoice.
  • dbatch13dbatch13 Member Posts: 2
    FYI the manufacturer trailer hitch is only 1.25".
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    I'm looking at an invoice now, $35,058 plus $40 for gas and $25 for the port fee.
  • tatseatatsea Member Posts: 17
    I am in the market for a Outback Limited 3.6R with Eyesight. I am from San Diego, California. I have found many 2.5, but 3.6R is rare. Most dealers do not have any in their inventory. I have researched all over Southern California and the best I could find is Costco pricing at invoice + $500.

I find it hard to believe that Subaru does not make more 3.6, especially in today's low gas price environment. I wonder if inventory for the 3.6 will grow later in the summer months. Maybe then I will find a better deal with more inventory.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,896
    tatsea said:

I am in the market for a Outback Limited 3.6R with Eyesight. I am from San Diego, California. I have found many 2.5, but 3.6R is rare. Most dealers do not have any in their inventory. I have researched all over Southern California and the best I could find is Costco pricing at invoice + $500.

I find it hard to believe that Subaru does not make more 3.6, especially in today's low gas price environment. I wonder if inventory for the 3.6 will grow later in the summer months. Maybe then I will find a better deal with more inventory.

Despite the cheap gas, Subaru does not make many of the 3.6R - we had to wait two weeks for ours last year here in Colorado.

Perhaps a special order from a dealer willing to give you a good price?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• tatseatatsea Member Posts: 17
    Do you recall how much above invoice you paid for your 3.6?
    tatsea said:
    Do you recall how much above invoice you paid for your 3.6?
    I'd have to look at the paperwork when I get a chance, but I think about $1000 or so above invoice. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• linymomlinymom Member Posts: 11
    Hi - just ordered a 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited with moonroof & navigation package. Total before taxes & reg is $31,873. I'm in Long Island, NY. I checked all other dealers on Long Island and this one was $1000 less, not sure why but I'm not complaining.
    Couple of questions - I was told 12-14 weeks for delivery, is that standard?
    The dealer I ordered from didnt try to push any dealer accessories so I didnt order any. But one dealer I went to was pushing "body molding". Doesnt it come with any body molding? Is it needed?
    Thanks!
    linymom said:

Hi - just ordered a 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited with moonroof & navigation package. Total before taxes & reg is $31,873. I'm in Long Island, NY. I checked all other dealers on Long Island and this one was $1000 less, not sure why but I'm not complaining.
    Couple of questions - I was told 12-14 weeks for delivery, is that standard?
    The dealer I ordered from didnt try to push any dealer accessories so I didnt order any. But one dealer I went to was pushing "body molding". Doesnt it come with any body molding? Is it needed?
    Thanks!

Subaru is setting sales records every month. 12 weeks for a custom order isn't out of line.

Check the Subaru website to see if body molding is a factory option or a dealer add-on.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

12 weeks is the estimate I got for a "custom" Kia Soul, of all things. So your estimate is right in line there.
  • linymomlinymom Member Posts: 11
    one thing I didnt mention is that all 4 Long Island Subaru dealers that I spoke to, told me that 2016 Outbacks are available by order only. No dealer has a new Outback in stock. Is this true in other states? I was going to check New Jersey or Conn but decided to wait the few months since I have a car to sell.
    edited March 2016
    Just checked one dealer up near @Michaell's way, and there were around 90 in stock, per the dealer's web page.

I tire kicked Foresters a couple of years ago in Madison WI and they had one in stock that day - the few they got were usually presold. Outbacks were non-existent, didn't even have a pre-sold one I could sit in.

So a lot depends on your local market. You can use the Make | Model dropdown tabs up top and do an inventory search too. Look for the For Sale box - you can search out to 200 miles. Or change the zip code to go further afield.

The inventory results can be inaccurate, so if you spot one, call first before driving a long way. Even better, ask the internet sales person to verify that the car is in stock (some will send a photo so you won't think they are trying to bait and switch you).
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    A Subaru dealer near me here in California has 8 Outbacks in inventory.
    Subaru has been on a tear, sales wise, lately. I was fortunate to have found a car already allocated to my local dealer that was the right color and had the equipment the wife and I wanted - had to wait two weeks for it to be delivered.

Colorado is one of two centers of the Subaru universe - the other is New England. I'm not surprised with the large inventory here, compared to other parts of the country.

And, the 2016 model year is winding down - soon, you won't be able to order any 2016s, only 2017s.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• brianp10brianp10 Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2016
    I'm in the Chicago area. Just purchased a 2016 Outback Limited. The dealer had over 30 in stock. MSRP was $34,851 paid 31,232. Negotiated over several weeks and they seemed motivated to sell. Each week went by they offered additional discounts. Sounds like I bought at a good time as there were apparently less Outbacks available last year.
    Congrats!
  • glentini37glentini37 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2016 Outback Limited 2.5i with Eyesight, Nav and pwr. moonroof (Option Pkg. 23) and rear bumper cover, splash guards, all weather floor mats, rear seat protector, and self dimming mirrors w/blind spot & approach lighting (Popular Pkg. #5). Subaru of Gwinnett (Atlanta area) honored the Edmunds Price Promise of $32,703.00, saving me $2,335.00 off MSRP. I compared this to Consumer Reports True Car pricing and saved $1,579.00 over their price. If you're in the market for a new car I would suggest that you check both Edmunds Price Promise and True Car just to be sure you get the best price.
    Very cool, nice work!
  • ronny84ronny84 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I am in market for Subaru Outback Limited Exterior Black color and interior Warm Ivory , I am selecting Limited for the leather seats, rear heated seats and vents.
    I need a car in August, Is now a good time to buy or start looking?
    I am in CT and dealer website show $35,000 for limited with Moon roof and Eyesight(I want both these options) and some other accessories. How much can I really negotiate on the prices displayed online?
    Will it be cheaper to buy something on the lot or custom order?

I think my car configuration requirement is pretty much same as what @glentini37 got, but he in in Atlanta!

Thanks,
    Ronny
    It's usually cheaper to buy something that's in inventory. Subarus are a bit in demand (more so in CT than GA I'm guessing), so that might make it easier to convince a dealer to save one for you from incoming inventory, or even to tweak an order to get a "custom" one for you.

But, you'll likely pay more.

I don't see any reason not to go chat with a dealer to two and see what they say.

The issue with online prices is the fine print. Sometimes the number is based on every possible incentive and of course, no one qualifies for every incentive.
    Thanks Steve! I will check with with few dealer and get a quote.
  • carhunter_9999carhunter_9999 Member Posts: 8
    got a quote for the 2.5i Outback Limited with Nav + MoonRoof + Eyesight + Popular Pkg5 for $31013 + TTL. Seems to be good deal. what do you guys think?
    Nicely equipped - I get invoice of $32,353, MSRP of $35,037 and TMV of $32,255.

So your quote is $1,200+ below invoice.

Sounds good to me too.
  • carhunter_9999carhunter_9999 Member Posts: 8
    edited June 2016
    stever said:

Nicely equipped - I get invoice of $32,353, MSRP of $35,037 and TMV of $32,255.

So your quote is $1,200+ below invoice.

Sounds good to me too.

yeah Steve...i am from Minnesota..the best deal i got from local dealers is $31860 for the above config...i got this quote from a Wisconsin dealer for $31013 (this dealer is 350 miles away from me)..hope my local dealer will match this then i am in
    edited June 2016
    That's hard country for buying a Subaru. I moved from the UP a couple of years ago and had no trouble selling my '97 Outback when we moved south. Great rigs for snow country. High demand makes it a seller's market.

When we were shopping new cars back in the UP, we had good experiences at the Madison dealers, even though we didn't wind up buying anything there.

The only issue with buying out of state is that usually the lemon laws don't kick in. Wisconsin used to be pretty liberal in that regard but I think they changed. Don't know about MN.

Of course, you'd still have all the usual failure of warranty type claims if worse came to worse.

Good luck!
    @carhunter_9999, just stumbled on this headline at the WSJ, it's a registration only link so I didn't read the story, but the headline sums it up:

Limited production capacity for its most-popular models is keeping supplies tight and incentives low

You may want to take a drive "soon". :)
    @stever I google it and i was able to read the full story! I have ad-block on.

They say Subaru had modest sales increase in May and it was the 54th consecutive monthly increase! Also new production will come on-line later this year.
    Doesn't bode well for cheap deals, but great news if you're a Subaru shareholder.
  • nic_lic06nic_lic06 Member Posts: 11
    Ok...so I admit when I first walked into the dealer (located in NY state), I got sucked into the funnel of negotiating over the payment rather than price for a 16' OB premium (all weather + a car starter). The salesman provided the numbers shown below. I initially didn't want to put anything down, but we agreed on $560 down with everything else rolled in. When I expressed concern over price (I pay $399/month for 14' Forester) they agreed to get it as close as possible to my current payment; we ended up getting to $405. Is it too late to figure out if I'm in a good spot here?

The number breakdown from their sheet:

MSRP: 29,113
    Discount: -814
    Selling Price: 28,299
    Subtotal: 28,299
    Taxes: 2,482.75
    Doc fee: 75
    Lic/Reg: 10
    Title fee: 50
    Tire Tax: 12.50
    Payoff: 2,014.55
    BALANCE: 32,943.77

Term offered:

36month/10k--448.04 (with 500 down)

39month/10k--442.87 (with 500 down)

An
    nic_lic06 said:

Ok...so I admit when I first walked into the dealer (located in NY state), I got sucked into the funnel of negotiating over the payment rather than price for a 16' OB premium (all weather + a car starter). The salesman provided the numbers shown below. I initially didn't want to put anything down, but we agreed on $560 down with everything else rolled in. When I expressed concern over price (I pay $399/month for 14' Forester) they agreed to get it as close as possible to my current payment; we ended up getting to $405. Is it too late to figure out if I'm in a good spot here?

The number breakdown from their sheet:

MSRP: 29,113
    Discount: -814
    Selling Price: 28,299
    Subtotal: 28,299
    Taxes: 2,482.75
    Doc fee: 75
    Lic/Reg: 10
    Title fee: 50
    Tire Tax: 12.50
    Payoff: 2,014.55
    BALANCE: 32,943.77

Term offered:

36month/10k--448.04 (with 500 down)

39month/10k--442.87 (with 500 down)

Answered in the other thread you posted in.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Hello! Once again, Edmunds is partnering with Parents Magazine to help families find their perfect car. If you own one of the below vehicles and have children under the age of 12, we'd love to hear what you think of it.
    Here's a link to the survey - please give us your thoughts no later than March 1, 2017.
    Thanks for your help!

SURVEY LINK: https://goo.gl/forms/wN9bw9FtPqRb2j4a2

Kia Soul (ideally 2017, 2016)
    Chevrolet Bolt (2017)
    Honda Civic (2016-17)
    Hyundai Sonata (2015-17)
    Subaru Crosstrek (2015-17)
    Honda CR-V (2017)
    Toyota Highlander (2017)
    Chrysler Pacifica (2017)
    Subaru Outback (2015-17)