Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

600 Miles In a Day - 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2016 in Acura
600 Miles In a Day - 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Long-Term Road Test

We put 600 miles on our 2015 Acura TLX in one day and learned a lot about its long-distance driving pros and cons.

Read the full story here

Comments

• hank39hank39 Member Posts: 144
    Nice entry of your impressions of the trip and TLX!
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    Nice entry, but...another episode of adaptive cruise slamming on the brakes when no one following this car would remotely have expected any brake application of any kind. I have worked in IT long enough to know that the imperative is "ship it." My private auto is not a beta site for them to get the algorithm down.
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    edited March 2016

My private auto is not a beta site for them to get the algorithm down.

Amen! This applies also to the 9 speed transmission fiasco. On top of the messy and unattractive two screen dashboard.
    The last 3-4 posts of this long term car (that was given to Edmunds.com from Acura for free) are way too soft to the car's flaws. It looks better than the car(s) it replaced but it still is not competitive enough for the segment!
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Very good update. Having owned a couple of TLs in the past, and having test driven the TLX more than a few times, reading these log entries one realizes the goodness of the TLX (and its ancestors) lies in doing almost everything well, but nothing outstanding. There's virtue in that. I've recommended the TLX to a couple of family members and business colleagues. They all love them.

HArd to beat the sporty, quality, driving, reliability, and at at price that's hard to beat, that the TLX affords.

Yeah...I'lll probably buy another one.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • lmbvettelmbvette Member Posts: 93
    edited April 2016
    banhugh said:

. On top of the messy and unattractive two screen dashboard.
    The last 3-4 posts of this long term car (that was given to Edmunds.com from Acura for free) are way too soft to the car's flaws. It looks better than the car(s) it replaced but it still is not competitive enough for the segment!

I agree with the two screen infotainment system, which I assume is the exact same in other new Hondas.

Edmunds, what is your experience using this two screen system?

My wife just picked up a loaded Odyssey Elite in November. It appears to have this same two screen infotainment system. It has been a complete failure from a usability perspective.

I have no idea why there are two screens as it does not add any value that I can find. It only adds confusion as to what screen I expect something to be displayed. Also, the rotating joystick knob is used randomly. Sometimes you have to spin/twist the outer ring while other times you have to joystick up/down/left/right. Sometimes you push the button inside the ring/on top of the joystick, sometimes you don't. This is all within the same Menu section. It is maddening.

The menu system in the infotainment is somehow worse, as if it had 4 different teams doing the layout. The features you are looking for are not in the Menu section that you expect them to be. You have to continually surf through multiple Menus to find the option that you are looking for. This is even a bigger problem because the next time that you have to go in and change that setting you forgot which Menu it is in because you logically look somewhere else.

It feels as if Honda is conducting Psychological testing on their owners. I'm half-expecting an electric shock followed by a small bit of cheese to pop out of a hole in the dash.
    Don't worry about what other people think. Drive what makes you happy.
  • metalmaniametalmania Member Posts: 167
    I'm a little torn on this. I'm thinking one of these could be a really good buy coming off lease in another year or two, but it sounds like the transmission would bother me. With a decently powerful engine like this, are 9 speeds really necessary? I'd think 6-8 should be fine, and maybe hunt around less. Edmunds' experience with the Pilot would seem to suggest so. The dual screen system doesn't sound all that great either, like it's that way just for the sake of having two screens - which over time is just one more thing I'd be concerned about failing. I still think Acura needs to hire someone who can give their products more style. They're all just OK, I wish they had just a little more... something.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Is this car still in the fleet?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It went back to the manufacturer a couple of months ago. Here's the Wrap-up.