Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Adaptive Cruise Control is Just OK - 2016 BMW 340i xDrive Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2016 in BMW
Adaptive Cruise Control is Just OK - 2016 BMW 340i xDrive Long-Term Road Test

In my experience, Mercedes-Benz's Distronic Plus is one of the best systems of its kind while Honda's adaptive cruise control is one of the least helpful. The "Active" Cruise Control system in our 2016 BMW 340i is somewhere in between.

Read the full story here

Comments

• agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    "Its biggest fault is the amount of space it leaves to the car ahead. Even at its closest setting, there is an unnaturally large gap that readily encourages one and all to cut in front of you."

1) Define "unnaturally large". In Europe you are taught the "two second rule" for driving on freeways, i.e., at speeds over 50 MPH it takes two seconds for you to pass the same feature as the car in front. Looks like BMW programmed that into their cruise control.

2) The second part of the quote is just a symptom of how most in America cannot drive. Their Asphalt Agoraphobia (AA) means that they have a morbid dread of more that 25 yards of open road. It's like they have to pin down the road surface before a critter from Tremors emerges. I have had passengers get uncomfortable and claim I am "not keeping up with traffic" when running the two second rule. I just look and say, "Oh, you want me to tailgate?" Much bafflement follows.

In view of the above, is there a way to disable the adaptive feature of the cruise control? Non defeatable adaptive cruise is a no sale for me because of the way others drive.
  • sector_15504sector_15504 Member Posts: 1
    If at all possible, you guys should try Subaru's EyeSight system. While the drawbacks may be vision limited (just as much as we are in adverse conditions, where the radar works better, think fog) it is a VERY good system. I own a 15 Outback and 16 Legacy. The shortest gap is close enough to prevent 80% of people cutting in, but long enough to give you comfort for letting it "drive". Even if someone does cut right infront of you, it wont jam the brakes, it just coasts like anyone of us would as long as the car in front is going faster and increasing the distance. Out of the 27k miles on the Outback now, only twice has it done something I wouldn't expect (one was an un-expected braking, other was missing a motorcycle as a target to follow).
  • 5vzfe5vzfe Member Posts: 161

I have had passengers get uncomfortable and claim I am "not keeping up with traffic" when running the two second rule. I just look and say, "Oh, you want me to tailgate?" Much bafflement follows.

^ This ^
    One of the reasons I hate driving with people is because they always make that comment to me. I don't want to rear end someone should they suddenly stop, and if they do slow down, I prefer to coast a little and brake gently.
    Same with driving around town, I know that I'm gonna have to stop at that red light ahead, so I let off the gas a little earlier than some people. I think that this is partially do to my experiences owning underpowered cars - pretty much every time I have to brake I think to myself "Damn, it's gonna take forever to get back up to speed and I have to downshift"
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345
    Adaptive Cruise is yet another of the "Helen Keller" options that I gladly do without. And count me in who lifts long before most other road users when I see red light ahead...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive