Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Will a Cartful of Groceries Fit? - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2016 in Mazda
Will a Cartful of Groceries Fit? - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Our 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata has a very small trunk by the numbers, but what about in the real world? Can it handle a legitimate cartful of groceries?

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Yeah, I did numerous trips to the grocery store in my Miata. Got lots and lots of stuff, never had a problem having it all fit even with my heavy coat stashed in there (like it with the top down in the winter).
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    edited June 2016
    No toilet paper, kitchen towels? I'm talking about the 12 pack kitchen towel packs and. 36 pack for TP... I guess you have to buy them and break the pack to make them fit, specially if the beer box is considered space consuming...
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    I think that once you know the car's trunk is rated at 4.6 cubic feet and that's what you're shooting for, you can pretty much just look at the shopping cart and figure out that its capacity is about the same, before you even fill it with groceries. Not really a lot of drama involved.
  • SadButTrueSadButTrue Member Posts: 48
    @longtimelurker

I would agree if all trunks were shaped like shopping carts.

-JS
  • jakek66jakek66 Member Posts: 60
    My GTI kind of sucks for this since it's cargo hold is too short. Luckily, there's a backseat open when needed and fold the seats down for even more. Wish they made a GTI Wagon, seems like the perfect car.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Hmm, the previous gen Miata holds 5.3 cu/ft. Plenty for road trips w/ two people as I have found out. Food shopping is a cinch too.
  • wheelmccoywheelmccoy Member Posts: 97
    The whole point of a Miata is to make *multiple* runs to the supermarket... any excuse to drive!

@longtimelurker

I would agree if all trunks were shaped like shopping carts.

-JS

Groceries are pretty easy...about the only there you have there that won't stuff into an odd space is the 12-pack, and even that's not too big. Groceries do pretty well in an odd-shaped trunk...it's when you have a big, monolithic item - like for example an over-the-range microwave - that may also be right around 4.6 cubic feet...but is no way no how going to go into a Miata's trunk.
    jakek66 said:

My GTI kind of sucks for this since it's cargo hold is too short. Luckily, there's a backseat open when needed and fold the seats down for even more. Wish they made a GTI Wagon, seems like the perfect car.

All GTIs made in the last 10 years have cargo areas that start at around 16 cubic feet and go up from there, with a removable cargo cover over top of it. I have put two shopping carts (over $300 worth) of food into mine at one time and still never filled it up or had to fold down the seats. I brought a 50-gallon water heater home from HD in it, in the box, and still only had to fold down the 60% side of the back seat.
  • bjammin2bjammin2 Member Posts: 42
    I'm pretty sure the NC was designed to fit a set of golf clubs in the trunk. There are special indentations in the plastic liner to accommodate long drivers. This is one of my disappointments with the ND. They focused so much on performance that they forgot most people rely on these cars as daily drivers. Cup holders? Ha! Glove box? Muhaahahahah! Lumbar support? What?