Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Trim Question: 2016 Odyssey EX-L (Base, w/ Navi, or RES)?

ohioeagleohioeagle Member Posts: 18
edited June 2016 in Honda
There is some great information on this forum and I've spent many hours on here as I'm trying to decide which trim package to buy on the 2016 Odyssey. I had originally decided on getting navigation, but I've read a lot of complaints about and for $2,000 as well as the need to purchase map upgrades in the future, I think I'd rather keep using my Garmin with free lifetime updates. I have heard that Honda's Navigation is clunky and can't be used when the car is moving. The salesman didn't sound too sure when he told me that you could still program it through voice command while in motion. I just returned from the dealership to look at the RES and I love the outlet in the 3rd row for the kids to plug their electronics in, but I don't think we'll get enough use out of the DVD player to warrant the $1,600 price tag. The salesmen did say that the EX-L with RES does come with upgraded tires (Michelin), but RES controls the front radio and that the kids can't listen to different radio station in the back that we are playing in the front. While the upgraded tires is a nice add, I think I'd rather spend the $1,600 on getting the kids new tablets (with $ to spare) for use in the van as well as elsewhere.
My question is am I missing anything with the logic in my thinking? Is there something that I should also be considering when deciding on these trim levels? Any perspectives from people who use these features; are they worth it? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I would like to make a decision this weekend and spend next week working to get a good price. I will provide an update on what I pay in the correct thread. Thanks in advance for your help.
-Matt
Tagged:

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Tech gets outdated fast which is why people like their tablets and their Garmins.

That said, the built in nav is nice to have too, and the screens are usually bigger. But car tech seems to lag "Best Buy" tech by a couple of years. I'd probably do the nav and keep my Garmin plugged in all the time too. :)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    My wife has a 2011 model car and the NAV is getting worse all the time. I'm sure not going to pay to update it, when that is more than a new Garmin. Plus, she has a phone..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator