Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Classically Clear Gauges - 2016 BMW 340i xDrive Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2016 in BMW
Classically Clear Gauges - 2016 BMW 340i xDrive Long-Term Road Test

The gauges in our 2016 BMW 340i have the same design as millions of BMWs before it. There's a reason for it.

Read the full story here

Comments

• mojo_mikemojo_mike Member Posts: 11
    I rather dislike the kph scale cluttering up the speedometer. Other than that, very well done.
  • 7driver7driver Member Posts: 145
    Not sure I like the tach being on the right. Most others have it on the left. It wouldn't be so bad if the center wasn't so blank. Either set the speedo and tach closer together or find something else to fill that large void at top center.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    I have a BMW X3 long term rental (due to Takata airbag recall) and while the gauges are very clear, they are kind of boring. I quite like the gauges on current Acuras. Also very clear and simple but more of the voids are filled in with useful information.
  • bodyshop_boybodyshop_boy Member Posts: 3
    Basic navi info (such as direction and distance to next turn) is presented in the lower portion of the instrument panel when the feature is used.
  • tom_in_mntom_in_mn Member Posts: 61
    I find the screen in the middle of the gauges on my Highlander makes the audio and nav less distracting to use as you get the info as part of your usual visual scan pattern with out having to look over at the main screen.
  • john_in_tcjohn_in_tc Member Posts: 28
    These gauges are fine as long as you don't need to know how fast you are going. A quick glance at the speedometer and you know you are going somewhere between 60 and 80. I like to drive 5 mph over the speed limit so an extra 5 mph might mean a ticket. Gauges like this drive me nuts.
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    edited June 2016
    BMW's interior design (not materials or quality) lacks compared to Audi and Mercedes. As for the cluster, I like the latest Audi and Mercedes digital screen instead of analog gauges. BMW needs to innovate or else it's going to keep on falling behind. Despite the million different models they have to offer (2 series, 3 series, 4 series, 4 series grand coupe, 5 series, 6 series, 7series, etc)
  • cygnus_x1cygnus_x1 Member Posts: 11
    I agree, the gauges are nice and simple. It's the red lighting that I can't stand.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    This weekend I had a heavily optioned 328i loaner while my M235i was getting a new windshield(thanks to a large rock). Like my 2er the "extended information"cluster can provide a secondary navigation display or radio station info. For me, simple is good.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• black07gtiblack07gti Member Posts: 5
    These gauges are clean, but the virtual cockpit on the Audi A4 blows them away. Having the full nav right in front of me is less distracting and I also really like having the detailed trip computer information readily available when I don't need the nav. I looked at the 3 series and just thought the overall interior was kind of dated compared to the C class and A4. The C class was the most luxurious, but the interior was too tight for me. Whether you like it or not, in this class, tech features symbolize luxury as much as wood and leather, and the BMW is just a little behind on that front.
  • darexdarex Member Posts: 187
    edited June 2016
    BMW Head-up displays are very good adjunct and/or compromise to the basic dash. They add speed, navigation and infotainment displays front and center, in a very clear graphical manner.
  • wheelmccoywheelmccoy Member Posts: 97
    Definitely classical old school, right down to the no-nonsense red lighting. I like it, but it may be too spartan for this particular BMW... unless it's equipped with a head-up display mentioned by @darex above.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    edited July 2016
    I guess it is to give an impression of sportiness and a high top speed, but I don't care for speedometers that read to 140-160 mph. This creates a lot of clutter and makes reading the true speed harder than if the spacing between the 10 mph increments were spaced further apart. A 120 mph speedometer should be plenty for a 70-80 mph limited USA. On the other hand, during the late '70s-'90s (?) I did not care for speedometers being limited to reading up to 80-85 mph.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    Speedometers should indicate the car's actual top speed plus an extra 20 mph or so.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive