Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon XL Normal Oil Usage?

12346»

Comments

• beechnut72beechnut72 Member Posts: 2
    I usually use Valvoline Max Life 5W30 for high mileage.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    edited February 2015
    You car when originally built required a 5W30 motor oil that met API SM, ILSAC GF4 AND was approved to meet GM spec6094M which was obsoleted in 2010 and replaced with the dexos specification. This isn't saying there is anything necessarily wrong with the product that you are using, but it doesn't meet the specs and requirements for your engine. To get GM's 6094M specification approval an oil had to resist producing piston ring land deposits, (a likely cause of the oil consumption problem that you now face) and be much thinner at cold temperatures than an oil that only met the API and ILSAC specs. ( FYI There was in fact more to it than just those two requirements) There are many people who are in the same position that you are, your engine oil consumption problem are most likely the result of using products that failed to meet the manufacturers specs.

This very issue was made worse by articles that served to confuse the issue and make it appear that anything that had API and ILSAC approvals was an equivalent product to what GM required. API and ILSAC were (and still are) only a minimal standard that fall short of a lot of manufacturers specs.

Follow this story and read the comments to see where a lot of the confusion came from.
    http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/26315/general/x/do-i-have-to-use-the-manufacturers-oil#latest
  • nothingbutgmnothingbutgm Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2007 GMC Yukon with the same issue ! I bought it used with 110,000 miles and now I know why they got rid of it ! On a recent trip to Florida used 3 quarts of Oil. NOT happy ! I love the truck , I have always bought GM cars and trucks. GM needs to recall these trucks and make this Right !
    I just checked to be sure ! Using Pennzoil 5x30 with the GM 6094m rating !
    That spec is obsolete now, you should be using a dexos approved product. However, the problem is already present. Was the previous owner using the right product for the entire time?
    It should say that on the Oil filler cap ! not just "5x30". "Use Dexos approved oil only". When they realized there was an issue, they should have recalled the trucks and changed the cap and put stickers under the hood letting people know ! But that would be acknowledging that they found a issue! Many of these trucks are 1 owner trucks.Mine is not. But I bet if people knew, there would be a lot less of this.
    edited March 2016

It should say that on the Oil filler cap ! not just "5x30". "Use Dexos approved oil only".

It should have a picture of the owners manual on the cap too which meant check the information in the manual, but that apparently was too subtle for people to notice.

When they realized there was an issue, they should have recalled the trucks and changed the cap and put stickers under the hood letting people know ! But that would be acknowledging that they found a issue!

There were issues all right, but it wasn't with the truck or the oil cap labeling. Just look at articles here and you will see how much pressure was put towards shouting down the oil specifications, especially when it came to GM switching to the dexos standard. (which made the 6094M and 4718M specs obsolete)
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/do-i-have-to-use-the-manufacturers-oil.html
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop-changing-your-oil.html

The arguments "against" the new specifications by certain parties relied on misinformation between what is a specification, versus what is a brand. It was no accident on their part that they played that game, IMO. That led to no shortage of "expert consumer" advice which discouraged the use of products that truly met the specifications. Do some research, and you will see the misuse of the Magnuson Moss act which blurred the lines as to what was really "equivalent". There were some "experts" that went as far as to attack shops who followed the manufacturers recommendations claiming price gouging on basic services. That served to encourage consumers to go to cheaper alternatives, which meant in all likelihood that their cars were (and may still be getting) serviced with products that fail to meet their vehicle's specifications.

Many of these trucks are 1 owner trucks.Mine is not. But I bet if people knew, there would be a lot less of this.

I wish that was true, but the effort to try and educate the consumer was rewarded with accusations of greed while ignorance of the changes in the specifications was lauded as being in favor of the consumer because it allowed for cheaper prices. Just do a little searching and watch it play out even inside of this forum, in fact this very thread.
    Anybody tried anything like Marvell Mystery Oil or anything to clean up the oil control ring gland ? Just wondering ? Or are the Oil control rings worn out ?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The only sure way to test for ring wear is a Cylinder Leakdown Test. I suppose Marvel Mystery Oil, being mostly mineral oil and white spirit, could clean up some sludge---if that was your problem--although sludge that bad probably needs a more serious intervention than magic in a can.
    I never used Marvell Mystery oil myself but I have friends who swear by it. Just wondering. Magic in a can ! Love it !
    Well now this oil consumption issue has turned into a emissions issue ! Now I got an emissions / check engine light in. It seems the burning oil has trashed my catalytic converters. Replacing the cats will only temporarily fix my truck.So now I have to get the oil control rings replaced, then the y pipe/ cats .! Thing of dumping this truck !
  • bigsiouxbigsioux Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2016
    I have an '08 Yukon Denali 6.2 with only 58,000 miles. When I tow my boat, I use 1 quart of oil for every 200 miles. Not 2000...200. When not towing, I use a quart of oil every 2500 miles. And this is AFTER having the suppposed ill-designed valve cover replaced. I don't think this oil consumption issue is about oil specs or valve cover deflectors. GM built these engines for gas mileage and the short-skirted pistons/rings simply fit "loose" in the cylinders, partly to allow for AFM. Mine exhibits piston slap for the first 10 minutes of operation. When not towning during the winter, the engine totally carbons up due to the oil burning and when I start pulling my boat in the spring, the check engine light comes on as the carbon is being blasted out of the engine, setting off the exhaust sensor. Instead of owning up to the issue for long-term goodwill, they force owners to go through "oil consumption tests"and jump through other hoops until they give up or force them into submission to pay for rings/pistons or full engine replacements. This is just one step down from VW's diesel emission scandal as far as putting one over on customers. When I replace this thing, it will be a Ford.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    2500 miles per quart is well within specs but 200 miles per quart is nuts! I have to wonder just how big your boat is and how much it weighs? I mean towing is tough on any car or truck but this makes no sense UNLESS that poor truck is REALLY stressed by tremendous weight.

Fords can use oil too BTW.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    bigsioux said:

I have an '08 Yukon Denali 6.2 with only 58,000 miles. When I tow my boat, I use 1 quart of oil for every 200 miles. Not 2000...200. When not towing, I use a quart of oil every 2500 miles.

The quart in 2500 miles is well within the requirements. However, I assume that should also apply when towing as long as that weight is within the tow capacity for the rig. What is the powertrain warranty on your truck? 10 years/100k miles?

I'd see the dealer and let them do a use test with your boat in tow.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,