Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What car should I buy- teen girl

countrygirl99countrygirl99 Member Posts: 1
edited July 2016 in General
Hello, I am a teenage girl looking to buy my first car towards the end of the summer. I have been doing research, but haven't found much that I like. Not that I know much about cars. I am looking for something that gets at least 20 mpg and automatic transmission, but the problem is I need something good sized for transporting my 3 younger siblings and all their stuff to school and whatnot. Also, I am an outdoorsy girl from rural Michigan who would really like 4x4. The area we live in gets pretty dangerous in the winter. I really wanted a jeep cherokee, but the mileage just wasn't good enough. My budget is about $3000 (that's all my money, so that's it). If anyone has an idea for my first car I would love to hear it. Thanks!

Best Answer

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Answer ✓
    Welcome countrygirl99, I was a Yooper for ~4 years not too long ago. I had a '97 Subaru Outback for winter driving up there. It would be a bit tight for four people and all their stuff, but unless one of your siblings plays hockey you should be able to manage with something like that. I sold mine for around $4,400 -- your budget is a bit tight for most anything.

You might be able to find an older Explorer or similar sized SUV that could work. You won't get the mpg you'd like but that's the usual trade-off with going 4x4.

You may want to shop around now for a good mechanic and see if they know of any good used cars that would work for you. A pre-purchase inspection would be good too. Older cars tend to need more maintenance.

Answers