Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Quick, But Not Always - 2016 Honda Pilot Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2016 in Honda
Quick, But Not Always - 2016 Honda Pilot Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds conducts a long-term test of the 2016 Honda Pilot and finds that while quick, it doesn't necessarily always feel that way.

Read the full story here

Comments

• actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    Simple. Get the 6-speed. http://www.edmunds.com/honda/pilot/2016/long-term-road-test/2016-honda-pilot-ex-6-speed-transmission-vs-elite-9-speed.html The Pilot is so much more enjoyable to drive with this "lesser" gearbox.

Part-throttle response is infinitely better in every situation, and it is even a tad quicker to 60 mph at full whack. Short-term 6-spd EX AWD = 6.4 seconds to 60 and 14.7 @ 93.7 quarter mile versus long term 9-speed Elite AWD = 6.6 seconds to 60 and 14.8 @ 92.9 mph 1/4 mile The difference isn't huge because, after all, its the same engine.

Jay's right, that ZF transverse 9-speed is crap, and it diminishes the performance of all cars that use it: high-end Pilots, the Acura TLX, Jeep Cherokee and Renegade, Land Rover Discovery Sport - and those are just the one's I have tested and evaluated myself. But it's not necessarily an issue of more gears, it's because the ZF transvere 9-spd in particular has a specific internal mechanical design that limits how quickly it can change gears, and that forces work-around compromises to be applied to the shift and throttle calibrations.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    "the Pilot's throttle response is too heavily damped."

interesting. most cars have an overly sensitive throttle nowadays. why won't OEMs give the public a properly linear throttle mapping?
  • dm7279dm7279 Member Posts: 63
    Disappointing. All Hondas I have owned have had wonderful throttle response, very linear. I would definitely compare the 6 speed version with the 9 speed before buying a Pilot.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    I agree with dm, All the Hondas have great throttle response. I'm thinking the problem is again with the 9-speed transmission.