Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler ID help (photo circa 1953)

baobabgenbaobabgen Member Posts: 4
edited July 2016 in Chrysler
Hello,

I'm looking for some help identifying the model in this photo.

This is a picture of my husband's great-grandmother (and uncles and great-aunt) in front of her home in Hong Kong, circa 1953. I believe this car to be a Chrysler based on oral family history but I'm having trouble identifying the model based on the grill.

From what I can tell, the model looks older than 1953 (more like late '30s or '40s?), but I really don't have the knowledge base to know for sure.

Any clues would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    Not an American car at all, I believe this is a late 40s Fiat 1100B. Here's an image of a similar car from a google search:

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I agree with that. It might be a little newer. it's hard to differentiate year by year. I'd guess 1949-ish
  • baobabgenbaobabgen Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2016
    Thank you for the help! I was able to find another picture; perhaps this is the Chrysler? If you can help with this one, too, I'd appreciate it!

006.jpg 373.7K
    That's a 1946-47 Oldsmobile, I can't tell the model, other than a 4 door sedan.
    Great! Thank you so much for your responses. This has been really helpful!
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    If that car is "Chrysler based", could it be a Simca? Something like a 1937-51 Simca 8? Or perhaps the Simca was sold in other markets, under other names?
    That's an interesting tie-in, Andre, as Simca was tied to Fiat until the early 50s. There was a Simca based on the first car shown in this thread, but they all had very distinctive grilles, relatively easy to identify.

Here's a Simca 8 of the same vintage - the body and even the door handles are the same, but the nose is different:

OK, all, I think the third time's the charm! After a few weeks of searching, I think I FINALLY found what should be an actual Chrysler car. This photo was taken about 1948. Anyone know the model and year?

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    That's a Dodge, 1946-48. Can't tell the model from the photo.