Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Towing Compared to Ram 1500 EcoDiesel, Part 3 - 2015 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2015 in Ford
imageTowing Compared to Ram 1500 EcoDiesel, Part 3 - 2015 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test

We wrap up our towing comparison between the 2015 Ford F-150 and 2014 Ram EcoDiesel by looking at towing-specific features unique to each truck.

Read the full story here

Comments

• allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    The ZF 8-speed transmission is the Ram's weak spot. It's the reason why the tow rating is low and also why engine braking doesn't work well. ZF never designed this transmission for use in a truck. It works, as Ram has proven, but sacrifices had to be made to for the sake of durability. The Ford's 6-speed transmission is designed for use in trucks.
  • okbeartoyokbeartoy Member Posts: 34
    Diesel engines offer little engine breaking without some sort of exhaust brake or the "jake brakes" used on big rigs..
  • adamb1adamb1 Member Posts: 122
    @okbeartoy. I think that statement is incorrect. Diesel engines have higher compression and thus offer greater engine breaking. Jake brakes are an above and beyond measure that has trickled down from big rigs. Ever notice how a diesel engine stops when turned off. "Chunk," seemingly on one engine revolution. That's the compression/engine braking.
  • 500rwhp500rwhp Member Posts: 99
    The trailer checklist may be gimmicky, but having the truck tell you if a trailer light is out is very helpful. I've only towed around 6500# with my F150 but it returned 15mpg during that, which was shockingly good (Supercrew 2WD 3.5EB).
  • jstrauch81jstrauch81 Member Posts: 64
    Thanks for the comparison, overall great info. I do fail to see how a mirror could be confusing though, but I will agree that they are ugly on the Ford (dumbo ears).
  • okbeartoyokbeartoy Member Posts: 34
    Adamb1 you are incorrect, diesels offer little engine braking, do some research. Exhaust brakes are offered on several of the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks as well. True the high compression stops the engine quickly when fuel is removed, but that is not what provides engine braking. Diesel engines change speed by increasing and decreasing the fuel added to the cylinders, they have no throttle (in most cases) and do not create vacuum in the intake side of the engine to slow the engine. That is what creates the slowing effect on a gasoline engine. Oh and "Jake Brakes" are very different than exhaust brakes, they operate by opening the exhaust valves of the engines, leading to the popping sound the engine makes when they are activated..
  • rod_rrod_r Member Posts: 8
    One optional feature of the GDE (Green Diesel Engineering) tune for the EcoDiesel is an exhaust brake. Feedback on forums is very positive. Too bad FCA doesn't offer this on the stock truck.
  • saratogastevesaratogasteve Member Posts: 186
    I've got a 2016 F150 Super Cab 4x2 with the 2.7 litre ecoboost engine. I recently towed a 1,500 lbs trailer with the bed loaded with camping gear and two kayaks on racks and two bike in the back and 3 passengers. I realize this isn't a huge challenge for towing, but the truck pulled like there was nothing there, and I was driving into the Sierras over 8,000 foot passes. I could pass just about anyone I wanted. Gas mileage was 17 mpg round trip. I tried using the tow mode and didn't like how low a gear it would use - there were times it would rev to 4,500 rpm in tow mode. I opted to just get out of overdrive for the down hill sections where I needed to limit my speed.