Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2016+ (third gen.) Honda Pilot Issues, TSB's, and Recalls....

odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
edited March 2016 in Honda
Well now that the redesigned Pilot has been out for a bit, let's open a thread for discussing any Issues, TSB's, and Recalls. I know a lot of people don't realize that things might happen with their vehicle until it's too late. This thread will be used for spreading our (actual owners) knowledge and solutions.

Odie

Comments

• odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    edited March 2016
    I'll start...

I myself have a 2016 Pilot EX-L/RES in the Dark Metallic Gray. He has been named Smoky (you'll always see me refer to him by that name.) At purchase the Towing package (still waiting on the ATF Cooler), Roof Rails, and Cross Bars were installed.

For recalls, I have already been notified and have had fixed the Recall concerning the Warning Lights in the instrument cluster.

Just this past Monday I had found out about Recall 16-021A concerning the front trim on the roof (with and without the Roof Rails). Honda is replacing both front moulding (the little plastic piece) pieces. I had not received notification about this, but called my local service center. They confirmed the recall and have already scheduled Smoky for his repair. (see attached picture as to what happens to the trim piece before recall)

I has also found out there is another TSB (possibly soon to become a recall) concerning the FM Tuner. The sound quality fluctuates when on FM and volume can increase without warning. Beginning in May, Honda will start replacing the FM Tuner / Head units (radio) in all Pilot's.

Odie
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You may have been the first owner to suffer the roof rail issue. Thanks for the update.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    And thanks for the photo! Helps to see what the problem to be corrected looks like in case someone misses a recall notice.
    stever said:

You may have been the first owner to suffer the roof rail issue. Thanks for the update.

Oh no, there is a big issue with the front molding pieces. The picture I took was after a car wash. Most don't notice it till it's too late. There does seem to be a little gap when it is sitting normally and the air gets under there and lifts it. It should be flush to the roof.

Odie

(sorry, I haven't been posting much. Lots going on here.)
    This was a picture (picture #1) of the Rear Trim after the install of the Roof Rails. The Rail system had to be replaced and the trim still kept popping and eventually scratched both the roof and rear hatch. My service center / body shop has since fixed that part and when the weather warms up they will be repainting the roof and hatch where the damage was done.

I've been hearing talk about water leaking in from the rear hatch into the underfloor area. I personally haven't had this issue, but have been keeping an eye on it since I have a full road side / towing kit system installed in mine.

Update on Roof Rail... I had my appointment this morning and they replaced the front molding piece. Funny thing is they replaced it with the same piece, not the updated piece. So now I will need to make another trip to have the parts fixed when it arrives in. They said the updated piece needs to be attached with an adhesive and needs to cure for a few hours. I ordered the ATF Cooler for my towing package, so because of that needing to be in for the entire day, they will do both at the same time.

Still no appointment for the repainting of rear roof / hatch yet.

Odie
    Here are the scans for the Roof Trim TSB. This is for the models that DO NOT have the Rails installed. This is not for the little front piece, but the long piece that sits in the track.

Odie

• sadati1sadati1 Member Posts: 2
    Now I know the wind noise i hear is!!!
  • toledo73toledo73 Member Posts: 174
    And all of this for an SUV that in short supply because of demand. Too bad the highlander's road feel is almost non existent.
    A new issue has surfaced and this one could effect the safety of the middle row passengers.

While I working on cleaning Smoky (my '16) I found three little black pieces under the middle row seat. I looked under the seats to try and figure out where they came from. I found that the plastic caps for the end of the Slide Track has broken off on not one, but two of the tracks. I took a couple pictures and called my dealership / service center. I texted them the pictures so they would know what I was referring too while speaking to them on the phone. They will try to figure out what the part is since it is not showing up on the parts inventory list (except for the entire Slide Track) and will order to replace both pieces. I don't know if this cap stops the seat at the end of the track when it slides forward, but if it is meant to and it is broken, I can see the seat coming out of the track and causing injury.

I'll add the pictures to this so that you may see as well. Keep an eye because how many people just take their vehicle through a car wash and the pieces could easily be sucked up in the vacuum systems and you would not even know it happened.

Odie

Broken pieces found

Drivers side middle seat slide track, broken end cap

Passenger side middle seat slide track, broken end cap

I just had to post this on both my FB and Twitter accounts and tag Honda in it. Read and give me your opinions.

"I am a little disappointed at my local dealership / service center (Ciocca Honda of Harrisburg). I took my new '16 Pilot EX-L/RES (Smoky) in yesterday (4/22/16) to have the ATF Cooler installed (missed by dealership when ordering the Towing package), the Front Roof Rail Molding replace (keeps popping out from window and has been in 3 times prior), the Rear Roof & Hatch repainted (damaged from improper roof rail instillation), and the Rear Seat Slide track repaired (end cap clips broke off when seat slide forward). They told me they will need to have my vehicle for almost an entire week and they had quoted me "They do not give loaner vehicles for any recall or service work." I was then referred to Enterprise Rent-A-Car to procure a vehicle until my NEW '16 Pilot is ready and I will have to cover the rental out of my own pocket. At a week of rental, I am looking at between $350-$500 just for a rental vehicle out of my own pocket. When did it become practice for Honda not to issue a loaner vehicle when major service / body work needs to be completed? I guess this is how "Loyal Honda Customers" are rewarded for being repeat multi vehicle purchasers. I will also be documenting this via Twitter and Edmunds.com along with this post.
    Thank You for taking the time to read this."

Odie
    edited July 2016
    Here we go with yet another recall. This time it is concerning the Fuel Tanks on the vehicles. This one affects both the Pilot and the Odyssey.

Odie
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Well, at least Honda is being upfront about it. First year out vehicle and since it shares stuff with the Ody I'm guessing they made a change to the Ody to fit the new Pilot? Get the new model hiccups out and I'm pretty sure it will be a good vehicle for you.
  • CRW-MSWCRW-MSW Member Posts: 1
    I am having ongoing issues with the Bluetooth system. I have owned my EX-L sensing since May. I started having issues in June and it took many calls to American Honda, the dealership and finally a complaint to the FTC for them to replace it. Now, the day after it was replaced, the same problem is happening. I was initially told it was that my phone was incompatible, then when my service adviser duplicated the problem with a compatible phone, - it is a software issue and patch will be out in August. Then in September was told it was my phone and they wouldn't do anything else until I get a compatible phone. I got a compatible phone in October, the problem still happened. Then they said it was software. Now they say since the unit was replaced (at great cost to them they told me) it proves it is a software issue. They said it covers the Pilot, Accord, and Ridgeline and they have no idea when an update will come out. Is anyone else seeing this problem?
    Are you trying to use the HondaLink?
  • leakingpilotleakingpilot Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2017
    I have a 2016 PILOT EX-L that has a major water leak that Honda has yet to repair nor admit this is a problem with the vehicle design.  Gallons of water have poured through the rear interior headboard and tailgate. Serious concerns about corrosion, electronic failure and possible damage to the side curtain airbags due to the excessive amounts of moisture and humidity.  To date American Honda has been less than stellar in addressing this issue.  There are some frightening videos posted on YouTube showing this model and the water pouring out inside the SUV.  Help...who else is experiencing this issue?  
  • tothrust1tothrust1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi!, I am the one who posted video of the 2016 pilot hatch leak.
  • elenkinelenkin Member Posts: 1
    Hi is the problem with the roof molding purely cosmetic?? or did it cause a leak??
    I just discovered floor in the second row soaking wet, trying to figure out where it came from.. bletch
    The trunk is dry...
    elenkin said:

Hi is the problem with the roof molding purely cosmetic?? or did it cause a leak??

I haven't seen many others since the first couple months of production units with the issue on the front molding. I believe Honda may have gotten that kink worked out. I don't know what is causing the rear water leak. I haven't experienced it myself (thankfully).

Odie.
  • simpleguy01simpleguy01 Member Posts: 2
    I noticed that this may be some old post but wsnted to confirm the issues i read with the volume randomly raising itself and the bluetooth issue with my phone.2016 Honda Pilot EX
    Havent experienced the water leak from the rear trim to this day yet..or the smell of gas but i will definately bring it up to the local dealer.
  • simpleguy01simpleguy01 Member Posts: 2
    2016 pilot ex 
    I have had some weird stumbles(possible transmission) slippage while accelerating at around 2k to 2500rpm..intermittently has only happened 3 or 4 times but taking it in to local dealer soon.will give update after service.
    Here is a list of all the TSB's that I have come across so far for the '16 + Honda Pilot.

17-009 - Product Update: 2016 Pilot 9-Speed Transmission Warmer
    techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/AH/A17-009/enu/A17-009.PDF

17-011 - Product Update: 9-Speed Transmission Warmer (Transmission Previously Replaced for Transmission Warmer Leaking)
    techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/AH/A17-011/enu/A17-011.PDF

17-035 - Warranty Extension: Transmission Chirps During 3-4 Shift, Poor Shift Quality, or Engine Overheats Because of Defective ATF Warmer
    techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/AH/A17-035/enu/A17-035.PDF

16-013 - High Pressure Fuel Pump Chirps
    techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/AH/A16-013/enu/A16-013.PDF

16-021 - Product Update: Roof Molding
    techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/AH/A16-021/enu/A16-021.PDF

16-025 - Audio Unit Volume Fluctuates
    techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/AH/A16-025/enu/A16-025.PDF

16-054 - Timing Belt Chirps
    techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/AH/A16-054/enu/A16-054.PDF

16-071 - Window Glass Moves Slowly
    techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/AH/A16-071/enu/A16-071.PDF

16-076 - LKAS Does Not Keep Vehicle in Detected Lane
    techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/AH/A16-076/enu/A16-076.PDF

16-087 - Transmission End Cover Leaks (9-Speed A/T)
    techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/AH/A16-087/enu/A16-087.PDF

17-014 - 2016–17 Pilot: Judder from the Torque Converter Lock-Up Clutch
    techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/AH/A17-014/enu/A17-014.PDF

17-015 - 2016–17 Pilot: Judder from the Torque Converter Lock-Up Clutch After Software Update
    techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/AH/A17-015/enu/A17-015.PDF

17-021 - Safety and Emissions Recall: 2016 Pilot Fuel Tank
    techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/AH/A17-021/enu/A17-021.PDF

17-036 - MIL Comes On with DTC P0430 (Front Bank Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold [Bank 2])
    techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/AH/A17-036/enu/A17-036.PDF

17-083 Hood Flutter or Vibration at Highway Speeds
    techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/AH/A17-083/enu/A17-083.PDF

These are all PDF's, so you can print them out and take the copy with you to your service center.

Odie
  • RL2016RL2016 Member Posts: 1
    Getting rust spots under weather stripping, on top of door frames.