Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Road Trip to Big Sur - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2016 in Tesla
imageRoad Trip to Big Sur - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test

Our 2016 Tesla Model X embarked on a possibly unprecedented road trip from Los Angeles to the Bay Area via Big Sur. Here's a quick overview of the action.

Read the full story here

Comments

• legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    I don't want to burst your bubble. Tesla and the tech behind this car are truly remarkable. Here's the rub. Just about all the points you made could be made about the Model S which is cheaper and has been available for several years. The Model X adds to the seating capacity (not much) and that's it. And in many other ways it's worse.
  • drcomputerdrcomputer Member Posts: 82
    Not sure why everyone wants to say the Model S is better than the X. As an owner of a Roadster, Model S (sold) and now a Model X, I must say that the Model X does everything the Model S could do but is MORE comfortable, easier to get in and out of, just as fast and quiet, and nicer elevated driving height. While I loved my Model S too, I think that both vehicles are great in their own respect and it was a smart decision for Tesla to offer both form factors.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    6 charging stops in 1,000 miles isn't too bad I guess, for a Big Sur trip--that area is extremely remote. So it was kind of like driving a car with an 8 gallon gas tank.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Honor and privilege? I think you need to dust off your dictionary and familiarize yourself with what these words actually mean.
  • g35bufg35buf Member Posts: 89
    edited July 2016
    Maybe when I retire I'll be patient enough to stop every 200 miles. Right now, I have the opposite range vehicle, I stop every 650-700 miles on a road trip with my RAM 1500 EcoDiesel. My stop at the SuperCharger...I mean diesel pump...takes about 10 minutes. Maybe I just need to chill out now that I think about it - and enjoy the scenery...
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    i recently went on a 4-hr road trip with my dad and son which ended up taking 6.5 hrs. despite in-car navigation and cell gps he brought his map (from 2001) along. i said lets use it and veered off onto a state road. we stopped a handful of times, looking at cars for sale, driving up to the base of a wind turbine to see how much noise it made (a fairly quite "whoosh"), and stopping to google and explore the reason/location behind the name of a side road called "bloody gulch road" (bible salesman found nearly decapitated in late 1800s).

my point is the drive itself truly became part of the weekend experience. slowing down was fun, but we had things to do where we stopped.

i suppose as long as the supercharger stations are near shopping or points of interest (and/or have WIFI), then i could see the real upside to being forced to stop and slow down.
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455

Honor and privilege? I think you need to dust off your dictionary and familiarize yourself with what these words actually mean.

I agree. Honor and privilege? Kind of creepy sounding. It's a vehicle. If you can afford it, you can drive it...regardless of whether you're a saint on earth or a dirtbag.
  • SadButTrueSadButTrue Member Posts: 48

I agree. Honor and privilege? Kind of creepy sounding. It's a vehicle. If you can afford it, you can drive it...regardless of whether you're a saint on earth or a dirtbag.
    I'm just saying that from this car geek's perspective, the Model X is an amazing product. My teenage self would have been dreaming about driving it, and it is indeed a remarkable achievement, particularly for a young company (but really for any company). Doesn't mean it's perfect, and certainly doesn't mean only saints drive 'em. But it's rare for any car to amaze me, and the Model X does it.

-JS
  • metalmaniametalmania Member Posts: 167
    It's still only viable as a commuter car to me (albeit a pretty cool one). I wouldn't be happy doing an extended road trip having to stop for an hour or more every 200 miles, or going to an all day event like a race, where my round trip would be more than that and I just want to get home at the end of the day without waiting at a charging station. I think it's interesting tech and I know it will continue to evolve, but it's still not enough for me to consider being my only car.