Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Power Loss When Parked - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2016 in Tesla
imagePower Loss When Parked - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test

The 2016 Tesla Model X consistently showed about seven fewer miles in range every morning than the night before.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    I know that Tesla WANTS the car to stay continuously powered, in order for all the GPS and Data gizmos to keep working, but I wonder if there is a way to do a "hard shutdown" on the Teslas. I know there has to be a way to isolate the battery packs for their service techs to work on it, but its essentially a giant rolling Android tablet. There must be a way, somewhere within the code, to get the vehicle to completely power off, then allow you to reboot it. This will end up being a desirable feature, I think, when the vehicles get older, and they start developing glitches that a reboot may solve without having to find a tech/mechanic to mess around with it.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well that's about what a "normal" car might do---a dead battery if it sits for 30 days.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    One would think that Tesla would have a separate small LiFe battery that keeps the sleep active functions going so as not to reduce the range from the motor batteries.
  • Options
    lmbvettelmbvette Member Posts: 93
    @Mark Takahashi - I know early Model S's had some pretty big problems with accessory drain. Did you guys notice any issues with your S?

Does the X show exact remaining battery capacity or just a range estimate? For example, on my Volt, the miles remaining is only an estimate and varies according to my driving/conditions. It may say 34 miles when I get to work then say 33 when I head home because the temp jumped 20 degrees. I can't see the exact capacity remaining.

Have you thought about fully charging the X then parking it for 2-3 days to see how much range bleeds off? Perhaps measure it daily?
    Don't worry about what other people think. Drive what makes you happy.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Note to self - not for going to the airport...
  • Options
    drcomputerdrcomputer Member Posts: 82
    There are several power saving option modes in the Control screen. The best combination is to enable power-saver mode but keep the wireless communications active so you can still pre-cool (or heat) the car and monitor charging status. You might have power saving mode turned off which will use the most power while just sitting.