Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• alexbravoalexbravo Member Posts: 1
    I have an easy fix for ANY and ALL problems with ANY 99 or 00 make of Volkswagen cars... you do not have to see Volkswagen dealers or mechanics, or anything like that. You do not have to use the PALTRY 24/24K warranty (what a joke!). Simply BUY A NISSAN MAXIMA! Why would you buy a VW with a wimpy engine for as much or more than a Maxima? Or upgrade to the V6 (which is still wimpy, in comparison) and pay TONS MORE???? The only good German Engineering is BMW or Mercedes. So, if you cannot afford those, GO JAPANESE! The MAXIMA can smoke any VW, is built more solidly, has better warranty (except rust... but what rusts nowadays?), and costs less. Almost same gas mileage for a V6 Maxima and a pu**y 4 cylinder Jetta or Golf. And VW still has yet to find out how to make door handles that don't brake before 50K miles! What a joke! Nissan keeps improving their Maxima and keeps the price the same, and VW keeps adding features to their cars, and jacking up the price as well. What a joke! Oh boy, so now you can get reflectors on the doors! The engine still sucks, the ride still sucks, the door handles still suck (Matchbox builds a more solid VW than VW does). So go get a Maxima, and find out what Pure Driving Excitment REALLY is. Japanugen. Figure it out!
  • vrunvrun Member Posts: 2
    It’s funny how people feel the need to trash other (usually better)products just to feel a little better about the product they purchased. Don't second guess your purchase Alex, you should be happy with your Maxima its a good car, but maybe you should take a closer look at VW because this is not the VW of old.
  • gregj777gregj777 Member Posts: 67
    The only thing interesting about that post was that it reminded me that while listening to DiscJockey.com's '80's channel last night I heard that old looney tune "I think I'm going Japanese".
    Anyone remember that one?? Maybe I should buy that cd and pop it in the cd changer of my nice, quiet, solid, 00 Jetta GLS VR6..... ;-)
  • yowsayowsa Member Posts: 1
    Hi folks:

I just stumbled upon this website and had a blast
    reading all the gripes and compliments that the
    Jetta has been getting. Now it's my turn. I
    bought a 2000 Jetta GLS with a VR6 engine in
    November, 1999. The car has been a blast to drive
    so far, and I am quite happy with my purchase. The
    engine is powerful and sweet and gets me from
    point A to point B in record time (sure kicked my
    94 318is's [non-permissible content removed]) . I also love the ergonomics of
    the car, and the 'oh so cool' blue lighting of the
    dashboard. In fact, I love driving my friends at
    night in my new car for the first time just to see
    their eyes light up and to hear them 'oooo's and
    ahhhh as soon as I turn on the interior light.
    However, as a very picky consumer, I do have some
    complaints on the workmanship of my car...here's
    the list:

a) I noticed that there were rattlings in the
    door panels when I first picked up my cars. This
    noise were most prevalent when I am changing lanes,
    going over the little bumps separating the highway
    lanes. I went to the dealer complaining about it,
    and they seemed to have fixed it.

b) After a couple of weeks of driving the
    vehicle, I noticed some workmanship flaws in my
    car. First, there was an 'air bubble' on the
    driver's side panel close to the the door handle
    inside the car. I complained about it and had the
    dealer replace it. They did, and guess what--the
    vibration that they fixed, the last time I was
    there, is now back, and is even LOUDER.

c) The next workmanship flaw I found on my car
    was in the steering. The grooves on the steering
    wheel which allow you to grip the wheel had a chunk
    missing from it. What did VW think when they were
    manufacturing the car??? Did they not think I
    would notice it? Sure, I can't see it, but I can
    definitely feel it. Duh!!!! Anyway, the parts are
    on order, and I am going in this week to have it
    replaced.

d) As I was driving along the freeway just
    yesterday, my check engine light all of sudden went
    on. The car only has 4500 miles, and I am
    surprised that I am having problems already. I
    quickly swung by my dealer, and asked him if it was
    anything serious. His reply..'No', but we'll make
    an appointment for you for next week to have it
    checked out. I figure, sure...I can now have my
    5000 mile oil change (which is a controversy in
    itself) and have my steering wheel that was on
    order installed as well.

e) I've had my Jetta for 4 months now, and VW has
    still not contacted me with any surveys or 'thank
    you for purchasing our product' letters. Has
    anyone received this from VW? Do they not care
    about customer feedback? I really want one of
    those so I can roast the financing manager because
    the bugger tried to rip me off and force me to buy
    the car when I wasn't even ready. Good thing I do
    my research, and caught him dead on his tracks.

f) About the oil change issue, I figure, why
    don't I put in my 2 cents? For those who think
    that the reason VW recommends oil changes at longer
    intervals is so that the car can break down
    earlier and you would then have to purchase a new
    car sooner, you're out to lunch! First of all, who
    would repurchase a car from the same manufacturer
    if the last car they bought was a piece of garbage
    and was not reliable. Second, VW has a 10 year
    power train warranty, and if the car breaks down,
    they are still responsible for the repairs, as long
    as you follow the recommended maintenance. I too
    was a bit surprised at the intervals they suggested
    but why challenge their recommendations?

g) What's the deal with the tiny trunk light?

h) Why does the engine fan turn on after I turn
    off my car? Will this not drain my battery?

i) Does anyone feel vibrations in the shift stick
    when accelerating? I was wondering if I should
    bring this up with the dealer?

Well, I think I've written a essay here. Overall,
    I am most pleased with the car. In fact, I
    recommended my mom get the same car. If anyone has
    any answers to the questions that I posted, please
    feel free to respond. Thanks!
  • bnormannbnormann Member Posts: 335
    Folks,

if you want to debate the relative merits of Jettas v. Maxima or any other competitive car, PLEASE do it here:

Sedans

We're in this conference to discuss maintenance and repair.

Thanks. your host, Bruce
    I haven't had any maintenance issues like you yet (knock on wood) with less than 1000 miles on mine so far... but I was contacted about a week after my purchase by phone. In fact the dealer told me to expect the call. They wanted to know everything about my puchase and how I was treated at the dealership, as well as any problems that may have cropped up (there were none). I think this was an idependent survey firm hired by the dealership and not actually VW of America, although they may be affiliated. It could be that the dealership has to pay for this in order for you to get surveyed, and your dealer may not do this.
  • wsommarivawsommariva Member Posts: 157
    ...just seems like a very unhappy person.......
  • jas7652jas7652 Member Posts: 1
    Looking for any information on the mid-1980s Jettas and what kind of reliability these cars sustained. Are these cars that are supposed to make it to 200,000 or is it ridiculous to even consider buying a used Jetta, 100,000 miles, for $2000? Might someone get any use out of it or is this a terrible idea?
  • pat455pat455 Member Posts: 603
    Copying this from a duplicate topic, does anyone have any input for pat_m?

"#1 of 1: Beware - Gas Tank Broken (pat_m) Mon 14 Feb '00 (01:25 PM)

Folks,

My gas tank on my 2000 Jetta GLS is broken. The
    problem is one can not fill the tank properly.The
    gas nozzle cuts off the gas flow. There is a little wire that seems to be cutting off the flow of gas. Resulting in 25 minutes of filling one gas tank. I brought my car to the dealer, and they said this has happen to other Jettas. They ordered a new gas tank and it should take 2-3 weeks to come in, because the spare tanks are in demand (replacing the broken ones). Let me know if anyone is experiencing this same problem, if so what was your experience. If you have this problem now you know my situation.

Pat M"

(Copied and reposted by: Pat, Community Leader Maintenance & Repair Conference)
  • pencilpusherpencilpusher Member Posts: 7
    My '92 Jetta GL stalls frequently when you come to a stop. As soon as the clutch is depressed, the engine just shuts off. Other times the battery and oil lights come on for a second, the engine sputters but then resumes normal operation. This only occurs after the car has been running for about 15 minutes and is warmed up good. The VW dealer installed a new ignition control relay but it is no better. Does anyone have a similiar problem that they have found an answer to? Thanks.
  • mthikermthiker Member Posts: 14
    I rented a Maxima last fall in Fl. Fun car to drive. When I set the cruise control at 80 MPH the car hold the speed nice on the flat highway. It was fun watching VW Jettas blow my doors off. When I got home it was nice to be back into my Jetta 00 TDI, not a Japanese clone of an American boat (I mean car).
    Sounds like something a good mechanic should be able to diagnose and fix easily. Ask friends and co workers if they know of a good mechanic.
  • vwjet99vwjet99 Member Posts: 1
    Two questions about the 99 Jetta (Manual transmission )
    1) At 80 mph what does the rpm read
    2) What brand CD changers can I get installed (not at the dealership)? I've tried a couple of places, but no has the right adapters/changers.
  • pencilpusherpencilpusher Member Posts: 7
    Thanks.
  • joebob7joebob7 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a '93 Jetta in April of '93. (Five speed/sunrrof/ac) Within the first 18k, the tailights were leaking water. The dealer told me there was a bulletin about the trunk stops causing this, and both rear lenses were replaced. Minor problems here and there (and other places) until about 70k, where the third complaint of oil consumption to the dealer revealed VW forgot one ot the rings during assembly. I have replaced rotors twice, both times with VW pads. (Dealer told me rotors would have to be replaced more often because of metallic pads.) No rotor problems and less dust with Bendix pads from local mechanic. I now have 115k and have probably spent $3500 on repairs outside of maintenance. That does not include a (common) sunroof rail problem (approx. $600), a fan switch that gets hot on "High" ($240), an AC compressor ($?) and a fuse block that needs to be replaced because the blinkers won't work (parts - $240) Both tailight lenses again have holes where the trunk lands (holes are now filled with silicone.)
    This was my third "long-term" VW, and as much as I like the style of the new Jettas, (still made in Mexico) and the Gti (made in Germany, aren't they?), I don't think I can. Drivers Wanted, but Mechanics Needed.
    My first problem. This morning I turned on the headlights and the lights for the fan speed control, temp control, vent selection, A/C and recirculate did not go on. After a tap they did go on. Anyone else experience this?
  • davis19davis19 Member Posts: 2
    Hmmm. I have a 1992 VR6 VW Corrado with 144K miles. The car is a fast and powerful as the day I bought it. I have out accelerated all of the above and I bought my car used for $13,500 with 43K. The car has every option available at the time of purchase including heated seats. I often have 4 adults in my car. Tough to get in (2 door) but once in, every one enjoys the ride. My point is VW are great all purpose cars. Not the most luxury, or bells and whistles but fun and pretty reliable. This is my 4th VW and I have had them all to at least 195K One I sold at 225K for $350 a 1978 rabbit. I have never done engine or trans work to any of them. They will last long enough to pay them off and keep money in your pocket to buy a round of drinks. I would say yes to all the VW's. Own one and you will understand. JD Powers thinks so. Oh yeah and the new VW's don't rust.
  • dave_fdave_f Member Posts: 1
    I have an 86 Jetta 1.6L diesel with 195,000 miles on it. It's still reliable after all these years. Aside from normal wear and tear (brakes, tires, shocks etc.), here's my experience:

1) Have had some problems with lose belts (alternator in particular). This is more of a hassle than anything else.

2) Stuff I replaced over the vehicle's life:
    - 1 power steering pump
    - Glow Plugs, 1 set
    - Full muffler system (cost about $400, did it myself easily)
    - 2 alternators (espensive on a diesel)
    - Master cylinder
    - Radiator
    - Just replaced clutch at 188,000 miles
    - Motor mounts
    - Front Struts

3) In addition, the car's been in two collisions, one where I was rear ended by an SUV (body damage only) and another where I struck a deer (that's where the radiator replacement came in). I hit the deer with 170,000 miles on the car and it cost me $1,000 to get it fixed. That was 1 1/2 yrs ago and it still runs great.

4) The only thing I've done to keep the car running is this:
    - Change oil EVERY 3,000 - 3,500 miles
    - On diesel, change timing belt EVERY 60,000 miles
    - I live in a somewhat cold climate (Baltimore) so I installed an aftermarket block heater (about $30 from . Really helps older diesels start up in cold months.
    - Pour one quart of ATF fluid in the fuel tank every month prior to fueling up. Helps keep the injector pump lubricated and cleans the injectors.

All in all, I plan to buy another VW.

For more info. on Jetta diesels, here's a link:
    http://www.bright.net/~vwdiesel/main.htm
  • ggamm43345ggamm43345 Member Posts: 1
    Regarding mid-80's Jettas, I drove an '85 from 1989, purchased second-hand at 47K miles, 'til 3 months ago, then gave to my daughter at 206K miles. It will need a cv joint in 5-10K more so I replaced it but she can still drive it. [I noticed at speeds above 70 there was a tremor in the steering wheel that came and went.] This was a wonderful car and very reliable. Oil change every 3500 miles [didn't burn any] but 33-40 mpg normally, dipped below 30 only if extremely cold Minnesota weather for several days. No unusual repairs, great for driving in snow--typically in snowstorms would drive on past the many other cars off the road. Manual transmission. I don't know much about cars mechanically but I loved not having to in that one. Made in Germany, not Mexico, don't know if that made a difference.
  • ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    You call that reliable?! Ah sorry. Didn't mean to jump on you. I got an 89 Sunbird made by GM and the only major repair I had was :
    - regular mantienance belts, lubricants & brake pads.
    - 1 alternator change and a muffler job!
    - Used regular dyno oil at 5000miles mark.

VWs are like GMs of europe.
  • vwyankeevwyankee Member Posts: 1
    Why didn't the Sunfire guy put down how many miles his prized car has? It's very rare for a GM product to go over 150k without transmission problems, from what I've seen. As with any car, you're going to run into lemons, especially buying a used car where you don't know the original owner's maintanance, or driving habits. But!... I know of many friends, and myself having virtually no major repairs on VW's.
    A friend just gave away an '86 Jetta manual, that had over 300k miles, with never doing any major services to it.
    Another bought an old Rabbit diesel with 225K+ miles, and drove it for another few years without major costs.
    My brother now has my 95 Jetta that I sold to him a year ago with over 110k miles, where I drove that car hard every day, with spacing out a few maintanance things, and it's still running strong!
    Volkswagen has earned their reputation for VERY reliable cars, especially if you treat them as recommended.
    Indeed..... I just traded my 95 Buick Regal GS last month for my 2000 Jetta GLS VR6, and one of the main reasons I traded at all was that the Buick, with only 68,000 miles on, needed "major" engine repairs to fix several "severe" leaks, according to the dealer's service department. I asked the service manager what caused it and he said "just the age". I wanted so bad to say "so you are telling me that a GM V-6 engine is good for less than 70K??" but I didn't want to hear the response. And it needed a new air conditioner - total of the engine and air was almost $3000. So I traded. Thats not saying GM cars are bad- theres lemons in them all, including VW's. But that thing about the age of the engine just made me want to laugh. I hope they never say that about the VW- the same family owns the VW dealership!!
  • ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    197,000 snow,rain, sun miles before trading it in. Good bye old friend.... Driven more powerful car. But that Sunbird SE sure was an old faithful. I think it's one a of kind coming from GM. Heard the current Sunfires and Cavaliers are crap.
    My 2000 Jetta GLS VR6 experienced it's first problem. The temp control, vent selection and fan speed lights do not work. Anyone have this also?
  • kgardenkgarden Member Posts: 1
    Am considering the purchase of a 99 Jetta GLS TDI but a reliable car dealer said he couldn't sell me one in good conscience due to the considerable problems these cars have.....another dealer said they are great.....my mechanic sits on the fence

HELP !!!
  • aschepleraschepler Member Posts: 1
    VWJET99, I know why you asked what does your tach read at 80 MPH. Like you, I was a little shocked to find out that the 2.0L engine in my '99 GLS was turning 4000 RPM at that speed. Hell, I drove my mother-in-law's Subaru Legacy Wagon once and that thing was turning less than 3000 at that speed. I think it's a little crazy. The upside is that when you hit the gas at that speed, it actually goes. On scottvw.com's forum, other Jetta owners remarked that it "beats it a little," as one person put it at highway speeds.
    If you want in-depth information about TDIs go to www.tdiclub.com This place has all the info you'll need. Please be aware you will hear some talk about problems but understand that TDI owners are a different breed of car owner. First the TDI is diesel and having a diesel you will find life is different, like going 650 mile between fill ups. One of the great things is you can achieve the good fuel mileage going 75 MPH. The next major thing you will find out is that there are pro/con opinions on diesel engine. A lot of good meaning people have very bad information on what diesels can and cannot do. Most TDI owners are expecting 250K miles out of the engine with some, me, expecting 400K miles. This VW diesel engine is a very good engine and in fact maybe one of the best in the world. Also remember diesels are used in passenger cars through out the world except in N. American, here we have a very strong bias against it. Only VW and that other Germany car company. Only buy the TDI for long term, if you’re going to trade out in a couple of years then go with the 1.8T. Hope I made myself clear.
    error: "Only VW and that other Germany car company."
    This should have read "Only VW and that other Germany car company have diesel engine in car for N.America."
  • onlydivaonlydiva Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a new 1999.5 Jetta GLS automatic in Aug of 99. Love it except in Oct (with 3200 miles) it left me stranded. With the gear in Drive, just sat there at a light and revved
    the engine. Had it towed to the dealership, but they had it for 4 days and finally came back & said sorry- we dont see any problems and no computer codes.
    Been driving it ever since but it still does not sift right, and regularly slips between 2nd & 3rd gear. 2 friends just bought the 2000 Jetta but both with manual transmissions cuz they heard all
    sorts of issues were coming to light about the 1999 automatics. Does anyone know about this? Where can I get some info to take to the dealer so they will fix it?
    thanks for any help...
    Jennifer
  • dlrempdlremp Member Posts: 3
    the telephone survey you received has got nothing to do with the dealership you purchased the car from. It is an independent company hired by VWoA(vw of america) to more or less check to see that the dealer is doing a good job. It is a thing called CSI to us dealers. Customer Satisfaction Index is a very important part of the delivery for the dealer. It is the dlr responsibility to ensure a 100% satisfactory deliver. From the cleanliness of the car, knowledge of the salesperson, and even if you were given all of your different finance options. the dealer will normally ask the customer to please be positive in their response but most of all honest. There have been dlrs loose their franchise rights because of chronically low csi scores.(gm is only one I have heard of)
    the high rpms are due to the gear ratio in the vw.
    The beetle is the same way. the 2.0 engine only produces 115hp(but very fun 115hp)so VW has made up for that by giving you a lower gear ratio which makes it quick and fun from red light to red light and very responsive at highway speeds. What you sacrifice is, high rpms at high speeds.
    read response 241 for the rpm explanation.
    the car has two cd changers considered to be "factory". one is an actual VW changer and the other is a panasonic changer. The cost of these through a dlr is only about 353.00. we install them everyday at the dlr ship i am employeed by. if you would like the part number get my e-mail from my profile.
    Go to www.vw.vortex.com. A VW only site. Many VW owners with tech knowledge. Post the question there.
  • breakerbreaker Member Posts: 8
    I had the exact same problem with my 99 1/2 Golf IV. I had it in yesterday for its 20K service and the dealer repaired the problem under warranty. According to the invoice it was an "electrically bad heater control illumination bulb." Have them check it out, they'll fix it, no big deal.
  • favernugenfavernugen Member Posts: 1
    I've never owned a VW with an automatic, but from what my dealer tells me, they are having a lot of problems with them. Perhaps it's because Volkswagen sells many more of their cars in Europe where most drivers prefer manual transmissions, so they don't put a lot of effort into developing the automatic. Personally, I find the standard makes the car more fun to drive, that is unless I'm stuck in stop-and-go traffic.
    ...in about a month I go for the 5,000 mile service and will have it replaced.
    I just got my 2000 VR6 automatic back from the dealership. They had to keep it overnight. I had all of the sudden heard a loud thud coming from underneath the car. First I was told that they found a bolt loose. When I went to pick up the car the work order said that the weld for the link rod was broke and they ended up replacing the lower control arm on the right side. I didn't get any info from the service department other than it didn't cause any permanent damage to the vehicle. They said they didn't know how it got broken. I didn't run over anything. Are there any mechanics out there who know what a control arm is and was this really serious? Could I have lost control or something had it not been fixed? It sounds serious to me but the service people acted like it was no big deal, which is fine with me, but I'd like to get another opinion.... I'm glad I have my car back!!!
    ...Take it to a local mechanic that is recommended by friends and family. Have him/her put it on a lift and check it out.

Go to www.vwvortex.com. This site has many members who know tech stuff. They will tell you what was replaced.

I wouldn't worry at all about it. In my 20+ years of car ownership I have come to a conclusion that anything can be fixed on a car.

I assume it drives just as well as before?
    yep... drives just as well... I love it!
  • betnoyerbetnoyer Member Posts: 6
    Sorry to hear about your problem. The dealer can call VW direct for hotline assistance. I had a similar problem with the wife car and after yelling at dealer, the dealer called and got the answer to fix the problem. As a consumer, you have phone numbers in your owners manual to call and complain. You may also write and send a certified letter to VW. I know VW cares, however, in my opinion, the dealers are paid to repair problems and not for diagnosis, consequently, some dealers won't spend the time to properly diagnois and the problem isn't resolved. I know that ours drives like an entirely different vehicle. We have 2 VWs. 96 Passat TDI and 99 Passat 4cyl At. The problem was the 99 Passat..Car had bad engine or trans control module. Unit was replace, works great.
  • mtownsendmtownsend Member Posts: 26
    In reply to 2000 Jetta Shifting Hard (Topic #1081)
    I have been complaining about this problem on my '99.5 golf. I have posted several comments about this before, I now have the definitive VW answer on this " Hard Luck, we have a problem with automatic shifts and all golf and jetta automatics and we are not going to do a thing about it". My car has spent 21 days with the dealer on 8 separate visits trying to fix this problem (and many others). VWoA have now told me that they refuse to investigate the problem any further and suggest lemon law is my only option, since the problem is not safety related they are confident I will loose.
    My advice to potential buyers don't waste your money.
    I am so unhappy with this car I will take my chances with lemon law.
  • morralmorral Member Posts: 1
    This problem has been around for a long time. My 90 Passat transmission would slip at lights as well. The big problem was the transmission would take fits where I would only have second and third gear. I would totally lose first and fourth. Like you and many others when I took it to the dealer they could not find anything wrong.

The best thing to do is when the problem arises head straight for the dealer and take the service advisor for a spin. I did this after three visits and they found the problem. It turned out to be a shift sensor that monitored emissions. Remember that all recent automatic VWs shift electronicly. If one of the many sensors go bad the problems start. If you ever get stranded again: shift to Park then back to Drive or directly to a lower gear.

After reading all these complaints its sounds like they still haven't worked out all the bugs. I would strongly suggest buying a VW with a manual transmission. Less can go wrong and they're a blast to drive.
  • berrienberrien Member Posts: 1
    To all you fools who think you should listen to VW about the oil change intervals. I have a 00' jetta GL which is my first new car, I have always been a VW fan and love my new Jetta. So I followed the dealer recomendations accordingly, I did my 5k service a little early 4500 miles then at about 9000 miles I started hearing some tapping sounds I was mildly worried but thought something had come loose. So I waited till my 10k service to mention it, to my horror the dealerr informed me that I was "2 quarts low on oil, notified customer of oil consumption" then they showed me some memo from VW stateing that the new engines can consume a half a quart every 500 miles. I am very concerned about my long term damage for driving 1000 miles 2 quarts low. The dealer acted like I was an idiot for not checking my oil. Even though I was sold an the 2 year maintenance program. My advice change your freakin oil every 3k period. I do love the car but also have some scratches already which I think may have something to do with soft paint. I am also very interested in getting this thing to not be so loud on the freeway, would larger rims reduce the revs. Or is there any other solution? And can anyone tell me if I should complain about driving with no oil, even though I went by their main schedule, will it die earlier now.
    Yes, very important to check oil levels often since oil change intervals are longer. Manual says to check oil at every gas fill up , I believe.
  • silver123silver123 Member Posts: 3
    ALL new engines consume oil at a higher rate than an engine which has been properly broken in. You were right in following VW's guide in waiting until 5000 miles for your first oil change. VW uses a non-detergent oil from the factory that helps the piston rings properly seat to provide good future oil control. If that oil is changed too soon, proper break in of the rings will be delayed, at best, and future oil consumption could be a problem.
    However, as previously stated, you should have also followed the manual to the letter and checked your oil level more frequently. The oil consumption you experienced was absolutely normal. The fact that your engine's oil level was low is not VW's fault.
  • shadow_tjhshadow_tjh Member Posts: 1
    I really need your help in letting me know what was done to resolve the whining noise at 35-45 mph. I am taking my car in for this problem on 3-29-00. I currently have 2950 miles on vehicle. Anybody else having this problem on their '99 VR6 ?
    I have heard it since I got the car. I have read several notes on here about it, and one in particular said that the dealer told him that this was normal for this engine/trans. So I haven't mentioned it to my dealer. Is that stupid? I know some engines have certain aspects that are normal about them and I just figured this was one of them for this engine. Let me know what you find out. Mine has 2600 miles now.
  • 24champ24champ Member Posts: 1
    I bought the 2000 Jetta GLS TDI in December of '99. I live in Arizona, and as you know, it doesn't rain here much. Last week we had a two day long storm, and to my surprise, I found that there was water dripping from the driver-side map light and from the switch to turn it on. I popped off the cover (which hides the motor and the manual crank) and the water was dripping down the sides of the motor. So I took it to my dealer and it took them 3 days to tell me that they could not find the leak. They also told me that I was not the first person to come in with a similar leak that they couldn't find. Has anyone else had this problem? Where else could the water be coming from if not from the sun roof?
  • butch11butch11 Member Posts: 153
    #253 - did the dealer say burning 1 quart of oil/1000 miles is normal. If so WOW.
    SOME cars burn oil when new. My 2000 Jetta has 4,000 miles and has not burned ANY. After breakin, the car should burn very little oil. Anythink else means something is wrong.

One quart per 500 miles means a problem that should be fixed by the dealer. I would call VW of America.

I had cars for 170,000 miles and 136,000 miles. Neither car burned oil!!

With the longer oil change intervals, it's important to check levels more often.