Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Loud Screeching noise when accelerating...

assaultboiiassaultboii Member Posts: 3
edited July 2016 in Chevrolet
So my dad owns a 2000-2001 Chevy tahoe, and he seems to have this curse with A/C's because every car he has owned the ac has had at least one or more problems. but anyways... A few weeks back he had to drive it to a nearby town to pick something up, and as we were leaving the car made a horrible like metal screeching and there was a loss of power, and every time he accelerated it made the noise... so this night after weeks of it doing this I decided to get to the bottom of it. I cranked the car and revved the engine, When I got past around 2000 RPM it made the noise, I turned the AC off and revved it up again, no noise... So we went and drove around and revved the car up to about 5000 RPM (The v8 sound awesome that high) without the AC compressor on. No noise. turned it on again, revved loud screeching noise. What could this be? He has had a compressor go out before, but its not like a extremely loud noise, but its noticeable and there is a power loss when it does that. Could it be as simple as the pulley for the belt going out or something much worse. I'd like to get a general idea, because he is probably going to take it into the shop in a few days.. This is going to be my car in 2 years, and I hope it doesn't steadily go down hill.

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Has the AC been charged recently? If it gets overcharged, the AC compressor will have to work very hard and might slip the belt. Or the belt might just be glazed and need to be replaced.

Oh, and don't rev the engine that high if it isn't in gear---that's not a good idea.
  • assaultboiiassaultboii Member Posts: 3
    The last time it was charged was around 2 years ago.. It had the heater core replaced and who ever replaced it didn't put the AC seals in right so the freon leaked out. I only revved it to 2000 RPM out of gear. the 5000 was on the road could be the belt. it hasn't been replaced in a few years. The ac works fine, and it's cold.
  • assaultboiiassaultboii Member Posts: 3
    Also. the truck has a rough idle which could be from a spark plug (My dad replaced every one of them except I believe the number 8 because it was too hard to reach.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You could check if the belt is glazed or worn. And yeah, it could be one of the idler pulleys going out. But if it's a cogged belt it's not likely to be slipping. You might also be able to loosen the belt and wiggle the AC pulley to test looseness. You can also remove the idler pulley and test it by hand for roughness.