Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oozes Competence - 2016 BMW 340i xDrive Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2016 in BMW
imageOozes Competence - 2016 BMW 340i xDrive Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds conducts a long-term test of a 2016 BMW 340i and finds that it is highly competent in just about every area.

Read the full story here

Comments

• vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    Having had both types of cruise control interfaces in my BMWs, I am always perplexed by people liking the stalk. To me, steering wheel buttons are significantly better to use. The stalk is far too confusing and I always and up issuing the wrong command using the stalk. It is also easy to hit it by accident. I dislike Mercedes cruise control stalk for the same reasons. Steering wheel buttons are just perfect -- very clear and intuitive and easy to use without looking down.
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    edited July 2016
    @JK: I agree with you about it this 3 Series being a great 5 Series. Yesterday a neighbor was driving slowly past and I thought, "That's a sharp looking 5 Series she's got." As she came around the corner I saw the trunk decal. 340.

Looked at in that light, $60k isn't so objectionable. Consider what a well optioned 540 sold for 15 years ago, new. This is right in line, both in size and cost.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    I drive F3x models all the time at work and my favorites have been a 320i with virtually no options, a 328i M Sport with three pedals, and a 435i M Sport fitted with literally every upgrade from the M Performance parts catalog.
    That said, for my purposes(daily driver/track toy) the 2 Series is the perfect fit for me- it's about the same size as an E36 M3.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• cars4747cars4747 Member Posts: 2
    Objectively, this in size compared to a current or previous generation 5-series isn't close. Just pick any buggy/stroller and try putting it in the trunk of this and then do the same in a 5-series (current or previous gen). Then pick any forward or rear-facing car seat and try installing in the back seat of this and the 5(current or previous gen). Exterior appearance/dimensions is very different than usable interior/luggage space.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    "Were it me, I'd .... go for the manual gearbox (even though the auto is brilliant)"

Have you tried the manual box in this car? I've found that the only decent ones in BMWs are in the M cars.