Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mice Issues

kicker9kicker9 Member Posts: 57
edited May 2016 in GMC
I found mice in my 2014 Sierra last year, they had made a nest on top of the cabin filter behind the glove box. I now have a 2 month old 2016 Sierra and had this God awful smell and noise this morning and actually found the dead mouse in the heater/ac blower motor, pulled the motor our and removed the critter. Any ideas as to how they are getting in and what I might do to stop this problem would be greatly appreciated. I garage the truck and always keep the windows closed and have traps and poison placed throughout the garage.

Answers

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    It sounds like you are doing everything possible. Is the seal where the bottom of your garage door hits the concrete in good shape? Try placing some of those glue strips here and there. We had a rat in our garage last summer that disappeared after it age nearly half of a tray of De Con. The glue strips didn't catch anything except for a TON of bugs and spiders I never knew were there!
  • vidarvidar Member Posts: 18
    I had a similar problem with squirrels getting into the air intake filter and eating the filter element to the point that the metal screen stopped them, and they also started chewing on the wiring harness.. I took an old filter screen, and cut/shaped it to fit over the opening of the intake to keep them away from the filter element. Fitting a screen over openings leading to the cabin filter may also work. My GMC is a 2008, and does not have a cabin filter.

I also got a couple of cats.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Some people have okay results with that hot sauce stuff over the wiring. Around here we have kangaroo rats that nest in engine compartments. Some people put an LED shop light on the ground under the engine compartment and the light seems to scare off the mice. My neighbor put his on a timer and just parks in the same spot every night.