Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• pica1pica1 Member Posts: 23
    I'm glad I can finally listen to the Tribe on the commute home from work...

Then again, given their talent/experience level this year, maybe not ;-)

That's what I meant by the Cubs remark -- I was thinking back to the hapless Cubs of the '80s. Today, they're much better, while it's going to take a looonng time for the Indians to get back to late '90s form.

Mark
  • dunoondunoon Member Posts: 10
    Hello--I'm a newbie here. I have owned 3 VW's (my favorite still being my 1980 Rabbit) and currently have a 2001 Jetta TDI with 72,000 miles (I have a very long commute).
    The TDI does make a lovely whistle sound. It reminds me of a sound the 1973 Super Beetle that my husband owned made.
    Ok--on to my question. I am curious as to when it is recommended to replace glow plugs. I asked the dealer about this and he said they should last until 100,000 miles. The maintenance book does not mention glow plug replacement. Is it something that is done at a certain mileage or just when problems are experienced??
    Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Stacey
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    (dunoon) You may be confusing the "glow plugs" with sparkplugs in a gasoline engine.

The "glow plugs" are simply electric heating elements... if they still get hot, why replace them? Do you replace the heater elements on your stove after heating 100 pots of soup? OF COURSE NOT If they get hot when you turn them on, they are doing their job.
  • jettaowner2jettaowner2 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 Jetta VR6. My trunk no longer latches/locks. Has anyone had this problem and do you have any advice for me?
  • sarahmillersarahmiller Member Posts: 1
    My NEW 2003 Jetta GLX (only 5k miles) has developed a bubble in the front passenger-side tire. The tires are 17" Goodyear Eagle RS-As. Any other owners have a similar problem? Both VW and Goodyear have told me I'm SOL -- despite my warranty. Jerks.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The reason you have the bubble is because you either hit a curb or a pothole with the tire. Hitting something with the tire is the only reason it would bubble up like that. The warranty will not cover it.
    That silly fad of using 16",17" and even larger wheels is going to teach some folks a hard lesson.
    There is hardly any rubber to protect the wheel.

It costs more for the the wheels and for the tires AND they are very susceptible and unforgiving when pinched over a curb or pothole.

There is a REASON that engineers have used wheels with at least 3" to 4" of rubber to protect them for over 30 years.

SURPRISE! This is just a way for tire and wheel manufacturers to spiff up their product line. Like many sales-fads, there is little benifet except for the people SELLING this stuff for 3X the price of the older products.

Read any of the Jetta test-drive articals and they all say that the standard 15" wheels have the BEST RIDE. A larger wheel makes for a harsh ride. (because of the stiffer sidewall in the low-profile tire)

This is sorta like those toothbrush ads trying to sell some fancy bristle-design. IT IS ALL SALES HYPE. The 67cent toothbrush works just as well as the $7 one.
    bpeebles - I understand the purpose of the glow plugs. I just wasn't very confident in the dealer mechanics's reply that they should be replaced at 100,000 miles since this is not mentioned in the maintenance schedule. Thank you for the information.
  • anne23anne23 Member Posts: 4
    I was told that that was a courtesy that was being given by the service manager after evaluating the problem.
    The larger tires provide more handling prowess in addition to firming up the ride. A larger tire is going to hold a turn better than the smaller tire will. I know for sure, because I have had 15, 16, and 17" tires on my Jetta since I have had it.

Surprisingly, the 15" tire bubbled from potholes and none of the others did. I have 16s right now, and find them to be a happy medium.
  • r2henshawr2henshaw Member Posts: 2
    I took my '02 Jetta Wagon 2.0 Auto to the dealer on Friday morning. As I mentioned earlier (#2693)I noticed that my transmission was slamming into first gear. Also my air conditioner was not putting cold air.

At the end of the day on Friday the dealer service called and confirmed that there was a problem with both. They were not sure if the transmission issue was electrical or if I had a bad transmission. They told me that they would need to run some diagnostics and get together with VW.

The dealer was nice enough to give me a '02 Beetle to drive while my Wagon was in service.

Today is Wednesday and we are still at the same point. Still running diagnostics and waiting for VW to tell the dealer what to do.

I told the service rep that I would rather have a new transmission than for them to open it up and screw around.

Anyone have any suggestions????

Thanks
  • sphereframesphereframe Member Posts: 5
    I'm having a problem with my jetta. When I go to accelerate (most noticeable at high speeds and going up hills) the car seems to loose power. For instance, I'll press the accelerator to speed up and at first for about a second everything is fine. Then the power and momentum seems to vanish for a second. Then the next second it feels fine again, then the power and momentum vanish again. This happens for as long as I am accelerating. Once I get to a speed and stay there the car seems fine. At first I thought this was the gas, maybe a bad batch, but I ran that first tank out completely and now I'm on my second tank. I haven't changed gas brands either, I'm using BP premium unleaded. Any input would be appreciated.

thanks,
    brian
  • rapidrickrapidrick Member Posts: 70
    Hmmm, sounds like a problem I had with my old 1.8 GTI--it was a fuel boost pump that sits in the bottom of the fuel tank that got (eventually got) clogged by crappy Florida gas. When it got bad it sounded like hornet was in the trunk. Easy to replace, though. Not sure if the newer ones have such a thing.
  • bgteesbgtees Member Posts: 15
    I'm currently shopping for a used car, one of the cars on my list to look at is the Jetta. I've found several 2000 & 2001 Jettas that are either GLS V6 or GLX in the mid-teens. Most of them are between 30-50K miles.

I know this thread only exists for people who are having problems, which is a small percentage of all owners, but I'm just curious how reliable you would consider the Jetta to be. I also wanted to get an idea of any known problems I should keep any eye out for. I'll be running a CarFax report on any car I consider.

The other cars I'm looking at include the Honda Accord Coupe, the Toyota Solara and the Honda Prelude. Thanks.
  • jettabluesjettablues Member Posts: 4
    I am wondering if anyone else is feeling my pain.

I have had MANY issues since my first oil change. The dealer left my plug out and all my oil ran out and my engine froze. They say there is no engine damage. How am I to believe that?!?!?!?! It hasn't acted/drove the same since. Then the whole window thing with it rolling up and down when I try to do the opposite. I had a rattle in the front end that the dealership for over a year I have been trying to get them to fix and they tell me I am hearing things!!! GRRR! Then at the same time my sunroof has it's issues when it closes and they say there is nothing wrong with it. Oh yeah, I forgot...I just had to replace, yes replace my rotors on the rear and brake pads. Any one have suggestions?? VW customer service is a PAIN in the !*@. I get no help from them and or the dealership. I did get the rattle in the front fixed and my sunroof from a totally different dealership! YAHOO
  • newjerseynicknewjerseynick Member Posts: 2
    I have recently replaced an ignition coil on my 99 Jetta. I took it to the dealer because it was losing power and the "EPC" light stayed on. It cost $850 including labor and parts. The problem has resurfaced and the new part to be replaced is the throttle body for $900(part only). Anyone have similar problems? Has VW had a recall on either part? SOS.
    (jettablues) The engine had no oil in it and it "FROZE"!! That would be a totally shot engine in my book. The pistons melted to the cylinder walls.

Did they actually tear apart the engine and check it out? Did they perform a compression check? Was the OHC checked for scoring? What about the valve-adjusters?
    (newjerseynick) How in the world does the throttlbody wear out??? They MUST be rippin you off. In all my years of working on engines, (over 30) I have never seen a throttlebody wear out. It is just a flappervalve that opens and closes.

If you MUST replace the throttlebody, get one off of a wreck at a salvageyard. It wont be more than $100.

BTW... there is voluntary replacement (sorta like a recall) on the ignitor coils. You may not have to pay for that.

You mention that the "problem has resurfaced" somthing I have done in the past for such things is to show the receipt from the last repair... if the problem is still there OBVIOUSLY the last part they replaced must not have been the problem and it was their durn fault for replacing the wrong thing.

I am soooo glad that I am college trained in electronics, mechanics and other engineering disciplines. There are a LOT of mechanics that will rip you off and do shoddy work at the same time.
    They told me that there is no way that there is engine damage. I fought hard for them to give me a new car or some kind of help. The only thing they did was a metal frag test. That proves nothing to me! They wouldn't even "open" things up to look further into it. I am lost for words. I am so tired of fighting and my money is going to waste :(
    Run the car through the front of the dealership, preferably with the service manager attached to the windshield, screaming bloody murder..

Now, for a real solution. I would get VWoA involved, definitely. I would at least make them replace the engine in the car if it froze due to their negligence.
    Trust me that has been a thought of mine several times. As far as VMoA, they have been absoultly no help. I have been fighting this for some time now and am getting no where. They said no to a new engine, then I asked for a new car. Gee, which would be cheaper for them?? hmmmm...still no help.
  • imarrimarr Member Posts: 2
    Hi, my beloved 1994 Jetta has been giving me problems again. In the winter it runs fine, as soon as the hot and humid weather begins, the "hiccups" start. That is a decrease in power upon acceleration, sometimes it picks up speed after this, sometimes it dies. This is really quite a stressful situation. The car also dies in stop and go, which is the story of the summer when all the roadwork is going on.
    The service department has been no help,
    they never can "recreate" the situation. I keep
    my tank filled, etc. etc.
    I am anxious for any suggestions.
    Thank you
    Inge
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    jettablues---you probably need an attorney on this one. I don't think you deserve a new car but you probably deserve either a new engine or an extended warranty on your engine or a tear-down at least.

In this case, be careful what you wish for. Personally I'd opt for an extension of warranty on the engine block or a replacement factory block rather than taking apart your old engine.

If indeed the engine "seized" then it is hurt, since what we have here is a large number of horses brought to a sudden halt by friction. This has gotta hurt.

You might also check to see the limit of damages allowed in Small Claims Court in your state. SCC is very sympathetic to consumers as a rule.

It is inexcuseable to leave a drain plug out---unacceptable, no excuses, no whining. It is a huge mistake and the dealer must make it right.
    (imarr) Obviously I am not there to make a concise isolation of your problem...

From what you are describing, I would start looking at the ignition system. (Distributor, Wires....etc.) One easy "test" you can do is to open the hood at night and let the engine idle. Somtimes you can see "arcing" from the plug wires. (the energy that is supposed to be going to the sparkplugs is 'leaking' out of the wires.)

If you are at all inclined, purchase a set of plug wires and install them. They are not terribly expensive and it certainly cannot hurt the situation.

HUMOROUS STORY: (I thought so anyway 8-)
    The other day, my 20-year-old daughter knew she had a bad plug-wire... she told me that she went into the auto-parts store and asked to purchase ONE SPARKPLUG WIRE After a good laugh, they were kind enough to explain that plug wires come in "sets" and sent her on her way with a box of new plugwires... she installed them and her 207,000 mile vehicle was once-again back on the road.
    ( How was she to know that one cannot purchase ONE SPARKPLUG WIRE? )
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Not to discredit anyone by gender or age here, but I've gotta say I'm impressed that your daughter, one year past being a teenager, got anywhere near diagnosing the problem down to the plug wires! I think we'll all admit that's not the norm!

Meade
    Its my fault ;-) My daughter grew up with me rebuilding engines and taking her to all kinds of motorsports events. She can recognize the difference between a '69 Hemi and a straight6.

Her favorite car is the Plymouth Barracuda (the Hemi Cuda) Ever since she saw them at the dragstrip pulling the front wheels about 6 feet off the ground when they are launched. (I gave her a 1/18 scale Hemi Cuda as a gift)

Just a couple of weekends ago, she and I put a new radiator in her car. (Over 207,000 miles on it!) She can drive a manual tranny better than some truckers 8-)

Over the years, I have picked up some of her less-technical terms.... I now prefer to all it "brake Juice" instead of "brake fluid".

And YES... her first car was a VW golf... which she bought from her big brother.
  • kristinewkristinew Member Posts: 6
    I am going to warn you that VWA is abosolutely no help. I have a 2003 Jetta that uses oil and they keep telling me that there is nothing that they can do because its normal by their standards. I was also told that they fully stand behind the dealerships diagnosis so they will not second guess them. So help, huh? I am either at the point of contacting the BBB to help or calling an attorney because of the lemon law.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    I'd like to thank folks on this thread who have talked about some of the common and not so common concerns. Reading this thread and others, before buying a 2003 VW Jetta TDI as a commute car, certainly helped me go into this endeavor with "eyes wide shut" :) In the perpetual game of "old maid" it seemed worth the risk to get a VW diesel and I hope to keep this in excess of 300,000 miles! As long as this thread is around, I will update with the progress.
  • imarrimarr Member Posts: 2
    bpeebles
    Thank you for the suggestion, I will follow your advice.
    The weather has cooled down, and the Jetta seems to be running.
    Inge
    As much as I didn't want to, I was forced to bring my car to the dealer for a timing belt and fuel filter replacement yesterday. (I put major miles on my car and am at 74K after 2 years.)My usual mechanic that I have been going to for 12 years recommended I have the dealer handle these 2 items.
    Well, I picked up the car and when I merged onto the highway realized that I had no acceleration. I started off as normal--but when I pressed the accelerator moderately--it offered nothing but slow, gradual acceleration and the engine ran at a high rpm. I immediately called the dealer who felt it had something to do with the throttle adjustment and offered a rental car. I had an appointment to get to and asked if it was safe to drive home and if it would do any damage to the car--he said yes and no respectively. On my way back to the dealer this morning my check engine light came on. Also, when I turned the car off at home last night and at the dealer this morning I got a loud clunk.
    I left my car running in the service bay at the dealer and had them see that my check engine light was on and listen to the clunk when I turned the car off. The service advisor I spoke to this morning explained the whole timing belt tooth thing and feels it was not adjusted properly when installed. He swears a test drive was done-but probably at a low speed and the problem was not detected.
    My questions are: 1) Should this have been detected by the mechanics during a test drive. 2) Was any damage done to the car by driving it in this condition? 3) Has anyone had a similar problem when having a timing belt replaced? I would think they do this routinely and at their labor rates should be able to do it correctly the first time. Any input is appreciated.

Stacey
  • gls2001gls2001 Member Posts: 1
    How many of you out there have had these or similar problems? I've checked other sites and the Jetta seems to be a poorly built car.

Bought the car in June 2001. Nearly all mileage is highway. The car has been carefully maintained.

1) ABS light came on and after repeated trips to dealer they finally kept the car,( for 4 weeks), while waiting for a new ABS module. I later found out that there was a recall on that module.

2)Automatic transmission would not come out of park. A call to VW help line had us go through a series of steps to get the car into drive. VW help line agent said it was a known problem and was able to help us immediately. Dealer said they had never heard of the issue, but were able to determine that a faulty "brake light switch" was the problem. I've since heard of several people having this problem.

3)Rear disc brake pads completely worn out at 35,000 highway miles. Front brake pads are still about 80%. I've seen this complaint from many Jetta Owners.

4)After putting automatic transmission in reverse, car does not move. This was happening intermittantly. Dealer service duplicated problem and after having car for 2 weeks, replaced the TCM (transmission control module).
    Dealer called and said car was ready. When we went in to pick it up, the check engine and glow plug warning lights were on (They were not on when we took vehicle in). Dealer isolated and replaced faulty ECM module.

5)Dealer still has car because TCM module did not correct auto transmission problem. When their service Tech took it for a test drive, he discovered that car wouldn't move after being put in reverse. Now they are talking about rebuilding or replacing the transmission (under warranty).

Our Jetta is less than 2 years old and has been in the shop for over 7 weeks.

We are thankful that we purchased the extended warranty, which thus far has paid out about $1500.00 for the electronic modules.

We will never buy another or recommend Volkswagen.
    That is the same thing they have told me all along and it is frustrating that they do not step in and see the real deal here. I am disappointed in VW as a whole. I have an attorney that is fired up about all of this we will see what happens. I also just rcv'd a letter in the mail from a local dealer that wants to "buy my car back" and put me into a 2003. They are claiming that there is a high demand for my model and want to work a deal. Any warning signs in that?!?!?!?!
    Thanks for all your input and I will keep you all up to date on new news.
    (dunoon) A mis-adjusted timing-belt can cause the valves to be open when the piston comes up.

PICTORIAL OF WHAT MAY HAPPEN
    http://www.difatta.com/images/pistons.gif

It is very possible that a piston may hit a valve and cause SERIOUS DAMAGE. (broken metal parts in the engine!!) This is usually sensed as a mechanical clunking or rapping sound from the engine while running. The only way to tell if there is damage is to pull the head off of the engine and visually inspect the valves and pistons.

The following photos are a direct result of a mal-adjusted timingbelt installation...

PICTURE OF HEAD WHERE VALVE BROKE OFF
    http://pics.tdiclub.com/members/MOGolf/Mvc-001f.jpg

PICTURE OF BROKEN VALVE PEICE ON TOP OF PISTON
    http://pics.tdiclub.com/members/MOGolf/Mvc-003f.jpg
  • walkabout24walkabout24 Member Posts: 10
    The little spring-loaded latch that keeps the lid of the armrest compartment shut in my 2001 Jetta broke today. One of the little plastic nubs on which it hinges on cracked off.

There's a number printed on it: 807688. Is this a part number? Will I be able to get this from a dealership? Any clue how much it will cost?

Good news that my bumper to bumper expired two weeks ago eh?
  • stammtstammt Member Posts: 6
    I'm in a similar situation with my Golf. It's been in service 8 times, for a total of over 60 days, since january. Over a month ago my service manager said he started a buyback process, but then a few weeks later they said they fixed the problem. Well, other problems came up as I drove the next day, that I'm sure are related - all electrical stuff. But because it's not the *original* problem all they're offering is a trade-in assist, which will still cost me almost $10k to get into a new car because of the bad used car market. Ridiculous.

And to add insult to injury, when I went for a test drive last night (before noticing on my way home that my car was again not fixed) the brand new GTI I was looking at had electrical issues with it's locks, the rear hatch wouldn't unlock from either the remote or the switch on the driver's side door. Nice quality, eh?

I have two cases open with VWoA over the past couple of months, a certified letter containing my saga and a warranty non-compliance form on the way to VWoA, and I'm planning on contacting the BBB next.

The part that really burns me is that I really do like VW's, but I'm sick of scheduling my days around whether or not I'll have to bring my car to the dealer in the morning!
  • walkabout24walkabout24 Member Posts: 10
    Went to my dealer last night. Apparently they "sell lots of those". Tells me that the thing needs to be redesigned so it won't break.

Part cost $14 after tax.

I tried to get it covered under warranty (25 old months this May but this dealer doesn't know that since I didn't buy it from them). The service manager asked me how many miles I have, 20, 900. He says, "Nope over 20,000 can't do it."

Good grief. $14 isn't worth keeping a customer happy I guess. Well I bought it myself and snapped it in place. Perhaps I should have bought two for when it breaks again?

I absolutely love my Jetta but my dealer experiences have been poor.
  • drmillhousdrmillhous Member Posts: 16
    Just the past few days, my 2002 Jetta 1.8T engine will shake left to right when it gets to @35-40 mph and then stops shaking after passing 40 mph. Any ideas?
    No. The car would lose power completely, and the 'check engine' light would flash. Mine wouldn't go over 25mph when the coils died on it...
  • mishima8105mishima8105 Member Posts: 43
    (bpeebles) I took my car in to VW in April to have my car diagnosed because the check-engine light kept coming on and off for the past 6-7 months. VW tech last replaced coolant sensor and reset readiness codes. Okay... Now a month later I have to take it back in because the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) has come on and off again 3 times. So now I'm taking it in to vw on Monday to have it checked out. This is annoying because I have to either take time off from work or use my days off to do this. The MIL, by the way, is not the only problem I've had with my jetta glx that has less than 14,000.

Based on my first-time experience with vw, discussions with other new vw owners, and reviews I've read on the internet and consumer mags, I don't plan on buying vw or german anytime soon until their reliability record and customer service improve.

I agree that most Japanese cars are boring. (That hasn't stopped the constant offers I get about my parents' 1990 Toyota Camry.) Had the IS300 or G35 been available in 2000, I would not be driving the Jetta GLX. I still think the jetta is a great-looking, peppy car with lots of first-class qualities. I just don't want to have to take a $24k car in for servicing so often.
  • rocquerocque Member Posts: 37
    Don't feel so bad. When I got my timing betlf done, they put the tensioner on wrong and it came off while I was driving about 80 MILES an hour. Thought I blew my engine but I didn't. VW SUCK
  • gent16gent16 Member Posts: 1
    Bought a new 2001 Jetta, it was in the shop the first week i owned it (for 3 weeks). Dealer promised me a new car and never followed through (Mc Kenna Motors Huntington Beach) It has been falling apart slowly over 2 years I've owned it. Power window problems, sunroof replaced ($1,000), doesn't hold the oil,engine problems, pulls to the right after being aligned many times, rattles, the console is chipping.... Junk, not well made, not good service. Save yourself a headache.
  • majors2000majors2000 Member Posts: 4
    I have been a faithful Honda owner for three cars now. I have racked up as much as 16,000 miles in one year. I currently have an Accord with 151K on it. I am considering the Jetta or Passet. I have driven both and like the sporty feel of the Jetta. I like the Euro cabin, and the 1.8T engine VW offers.

1) Has any else “been a Honda person” bought a VW and regret it?

2) Do you think the Passet or Jetta is more reliable?

3) I know the Jetta is made in Mexico and Passet in Germany. Does that make a difference?

I hear of all these electrical problems. I have never had any problems with any Honda, but want something different…
  • alyssazmomalyssazmom Member Posts: 142
    Yes, I went from a Honda Civic to a VW Passat.

To answer your questions:

1) I wouldn't say I regret my VW purchase but going from a Honda to a VW is a change and one that I am still adjusting too. It doesn't help that my dh is a 100% Honda guy and wishes I had bought the Ody van over a Passat sedan.

2) More reliable than Honda? Overall- no. The Passat seems to be more reliable than the Jetta. However every car maker has its lemons; my Civic had 12 problems the first 7 months of ownership. However dh has had zero problems with both Accords that he owned (currently a 2002).

3) It does seem to make a difference. There are many more Jettas with problems than Passats however, that doesn't mean the Passat would be problem free. I personally prefer the styling, handling and look of the Jetta over the Passat but needed the room for my 6 year old and baby due in Dec.

I actually had an electrical problem with the radio on my 2002 Civic EX. So again, no car is immune. I have to admit that I am waiting for a problem to occur with my Passat but as of yet *knock on wood* 1000 miles later and I'm still good to go.

My husband's Accord is so very different than my Passat. Test drive both and then decide. If reliability is high on the list, stay with Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Acura. But don't rule out a VW yet- their reliability is improving.

Carrie ~2003 1.8T VW Passat in Candy White
    We traded a well-worn 4WD Honda cvic for our new Jetta TDI. The Jetta is MUCH more of a drivers car. The 52MPG is wonderful. (over 600 miles per tank of fuel)

Although the Honda was reliable, I feel that reliable=booring. My priorities in a vehicle go beyond "reliable". I wanted somting that was FUN to drive.

The Honda also rusted badly. (The VW has a 12-year, UNLIMTED milage warrantee)
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    I went from Toyota to VW

1. Haven't regretted my Golf TDI yet.
    2. Don't know
    3. Mine was assembled in Brazil. Key word is "assembled." The majority of the components come from Germany to its final assembly location, whether still in Germany, Brazil, Mexico, etc.
  • wcwagwcwag Member Posts: 19
    I wrote to Anthony, however I would like to seek the Board's advise as well.

Feb. '03 I purchased Jetta 1.8T '03. After 3 months, MIL light went on, not blinking, just stayed on. Brought it in to local VW dealership here in the New Orleans area, and unlike some of the posts I have read on this board, the dealership was very cooperative. Gave me an Enterprise car to use until work completed. When I got the car back, the following was done:

1. Remove and install ignition coils (4 06B-905-115
    sorry for the inconsistency (hit the wrong key)...
    Anyway, the coils they installed were (4 06B-905-115-J); they set readiness code, and road tested car x2.

Now, a month later at 4300 miles, the MIL is back on. I took it in to dealership...another Enterprise car and they will get back with me in beginning of next week.

Two Questions:

1. Is there something I should know or ask them to check, or be sure that they check so the light does not keep coming back (I'm very familiar with all the engine coil problems written on the boards)?

2. I have been a Honda driver all of my life and I'm wondering if after I get my VW back if I should trade for a Civic EX '03? (mostly because in about 15 years I have never had any problems with the Hondas except for routine preventative maintenance?

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826

I actually was faced with the choice between the Jetta vs the Civic. I would have probably chosen the Civic EX03. Gas mileage and price were fairly similar. Reliability on the Civic is almost legendary.

The reason why I chose the Jetta03 was for the TDI. This one fact alone was worth the "risk". So far after 5k mileage all is well. I fully expect this vehicle to go the distance. (12-15 years est 360,000-up) So while the verdict is still out, this vehicle so far has been trouble free and new car issue free.
  • centrifugecentrifuge Member Posts: 3
    I'll be able to answer one of those questions soon since my water pump went out a couple weeks back and ate the timing belt. Your lucky they offerd you a loaner car, they told me they wouldn't do that despit the water pump therefore the timing belt still being under warranty, I had to threaten to sue them to get any response, so my best advise... stay as far away from the dealers, and Volkswagon (the company) itself as possible. After a little over three years of a new body style Jetta and a list of problems with the car that I could base a novel on (thats not to mention the three other Jettas in the family with just as many problems both mechanically and customer service related), I have learned one thing, the dealers don't fix a problem without making another.