Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Equinox Tailgate Rod Failure

runoxrunox Member Posts: 156
edited August 2016 in Chevrolet
All off a sudden my power tailgate won't stay open. After opening it, it immediately begins a slow close. Before I call for an appointment, is there an adjustment to restore the hydraulic pressure on the rods? I haven't found anything mentioned in the manual and I can't an adjustment on the rods but want to check before I take the time to bring it in.

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    runox,

Please keep us posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • runoxrunox Member Posts: 156
    Finally got to take it in. It seems the inside button is stuck a tad in the up position. Well see, it goes back in next week to have the full ceiling console replaced.
    Ceiling console was replaced. No change, wasn't the problem, out of stock on the tailgate pistons and will have to bring it back in end of the week.
    Yup, right tailgate piston failed. The fly trap can't eat me anymore :)
  • james221james221 Member Posts: 1
    Did you know that there's an issue about General Motors? Yes, in the news they mentioned that General Motors is dealing with a class-action suit from users of 2007 and 2008 Impalas. The suit claims that a rear suspension flaw in the vehicles causes wheels to wear tread too early. GM dealt with the matter in 2008 in regards to Impalas sold as police cars. They did not, however, addressed the problem with regards to consumer-owned cars. General Motors could hand out millions if the suit works. Here is the proof: link title
  • justlhjustlh Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2011 Equiniox LT. Today it has the exact same problem with the liftgate as posted above. When we open the rear liftgate with the remote, the hatch goes all the way up, starts to close about to the 3/4 position, goes all the way up again, then completely closes. Tried adjusting the 3/4 to full position in front at ceiling console & still same. No matter what we do, it will not stay open. Unfortunately, we now have 37,500 miles on vehicle, so this should be interesting. Will make an appointment on Monday with our local Dealer.
    Hi justlh,

We see that you're planning on visiting the dealership about the problems you're having with your liftgate. If you'd like any additional assistance with this matter please let us know. We can be reached by email at socialmedia@gm.com. We look forward to hearing about your service visit as well.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    Hi Amber,
    Thank you for the post. I took our vehicle to the Dealer today & it turned out it was a leaking right side gas strut in the rear hatch. They replaced the part at no charge. The rear hatch opens remotely and closes remotely. And the good news is, the 2011 Equinox is still under warranty! I read the mileage wrong. Actually have 32,248 miles. I thought I saw 37,000, the seven was a 2. So, we feel very lucky today.
    However, the Dealership is under MAJOR renovation & somewhere along the line, our front end got scratched. We are taking it back to have them look at it tomorrow. I know every inch of this vehicle since I wash & wax it every week. Thanks again for the post.
    I appreciate the update and am happy to hear your warranty will cover your repairs. I hope the dealership addresses the scratch as well and is able to fix this as soon as possible. Let us know how everything goes, and if you need anything else don't hesitate to let us know.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    Finally was able to schedule our Equinox back in for the accidental scrape damage on front bumper while in for the Tailgate Rod failure. Dealer was able to buff it out with rubbing compound on the spot & all is well. Great Dealer, great people! Treated my wife with respect & you gotta respect that.
    So, if you are listening, "Thank You".
  • moparblue2moparblue2 Member Posts: 86
    We have 2012 NOX with 20,000 miles on it. They just put 2 new Tailgate Rods on this week. I was wondering if this is problem only on Power Lift Gates or all NOX Lift Gates
    I had to replace a rod on a power gate, but rod failure does not appear a problem for the model, just individual product failure. Only 3-4 have reported a failure here since 2010. I too replaced one at about 20K and the replacement has survived for 3 years.
    The Dealer replaced both gas struts on your 2012 Equinox? That's the first time I have heard that. They replaced both because the rear hatch probably would not begin to open, right? Or, was there a problem slowly developing or did this occur all at once? Nice that it was in warranty. Just curious about the details. I think this is a few, but if there's more like yours, I'd be interested to find out if 2011/2012 Equinox owners should pay closer attention to this problem. I just had one right side gas strut replaced in warranty. The rear hatch opens & closes fine now.
  • moparblue2moparblue2 Member Posts: 86
    It started all at once. The power gate would open all the way. Then start coming back down slowly. Worked great on vacation. Started acting up when we got home and I was unloading the back and hit my head. I thought wife had set it at 3/4 open playing a joke. Good thing I check the setting before I went inside because I was mad I had hit my head.
  • trmurphytrmurphy Member Posts: 1

I have a 2011 NOX and the lift gate is slowly closing. Unfortunately, mine is out of warranty. Any idea how much replacement pistons or rods might cost? can I do it my self?

• calicryscalicrys Member Posts: 1
    Mine is out of warranty. Sounds Like my 2012 LTZ Equinox is having the same issue which is frustrating that now its out of warranty.so I was looking for a part online and dont see anything called struts or pistons..is the lift support the same thing.

If you are from Chevy please dont respond unless you are going to answer my question or fix for free :)
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    calicrys said:

Mine is out of warranty. Sounds Like my 2012 LTZ Equinox is having the same issue which is frustrating that now its out of warranty.so I was looking for a part online and dont see anything called struts or pistons..is the lift support the same thing.

If you are from Chevy please dont respond unless you are going to answer my question or fix for free :)

I believe lift support would be same thing. If you google gm parts accessories you can find places that have catalogs and pictures to associate with part names. May help
  • shadow_angel03shadow_angel03 Member Posts: 1
    i have the same problem but my car is out of warranty. does anyone know where i can find that part? i already ordered like 3 of them but they are all the wrong one.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited April 2016

i have the same problem but my car is out of warranty. does anyone know where i can find that part? i already ordered like 3 of them but they are all the wrong one.

What year is your Equinox? I'm seeing all sorts of options for buying online, and even videos on how to install them like this, How to Install Replace Tailgate Hatch Support Struts - 2005 Thru 2009 Chevy Equinox
  • mcchaliummcchalium Member Posts: 1
    My daughter had the same problem on her 2011 NOX which started several months ago. I replaced the right side gas strut and that fixed it. Watch out though, those guys are impossible to compress by hand unless your name is Arnold S.
  • DebbieintheDraftDebbieintheDraft Member Posts: 1
    justlh: I have exact same problem with my used purchase 2015 Chevy Equinox. The first time it happened I was able to duck out from under. The second time it almost crushed me. I was bruised and dazed. It was very frightening to this 60 year old lady! I am on limited income. Does anyone else have any info on this? I purchased July 3, 2019. It started within a couple of weeks. Called dealership I purchased from. They said Sorry Lady, you bought as-is. 😣