Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

How I'd Fix the Volume Control - 2016 Honda Civic Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2016 in Honda

imageHow I'd Fix the Volume Control - 2016 Honda Civic Long-Term Road Test

Coming up with a solution for our 2016 Honda Civic's terrible volume slider.

Read the full story here

Comments

• cromagnum_mancromagnum_man Member Posts: 54
    I agree that it's a stupid design but it's easily avoided by purchasing the LX model which has a stereo with actual knobs.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think Mark really put his finger on the solution!
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    I get it, but frankly using the steering wheel controls is so much easier that I don't even bother to use the touchscreen for that or for navigating music. I'd actually prefer it if there was a way to disable the slider thing and its too easy to do that accidentally. Volume Up and Down and Next/Prev track is all I need.

Also, going EX+ (I have an EX-T) was the best decision I made. There are so many nice things that the EX adds that the LX would be a sacrifice to people like me.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    My ILX (which is a cousin to this car) actually a physical volume knob but I still nearly always use the steering wheel control, which is just a regular up/down button. The proliferation of touch screens still annoys me because I can't stand fingerprints. Luckily my ILX's touchscreen can be entirely avoided by using the redundant upper screen with wheel/knob controller.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    My wife agrees with Kirk that steering wheel controls are much easier to use. When she's riding in the passenger seat she want's her own steering wheel with volume controls because she HATES the screen control. I suspect having two steering wheels may lead to other problems. May I suggest that Honda study automobile archeology to learn the ancient art of the knob for volume?
  • barich1barich1 Member Posts: 143
    I would like Honda to find me a touch device that does not have separate hardware volume buttons. There are very few, and there's a reason for that. Other manufacturers (Ford, GM) have tried the capacitive button thing and have done an about face. Honda might ask why.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Fantastic use of company time Takahashi!
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    edited August 2016

Fantastic use of company time Takahashi!

Some are getting paid for this... Don't get jeally
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    In every car that I've owned that had steering wheel controls I always use the steering wheel volume button. Not having a knob wouldn't bother me at all.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2016
    I like having both. Sometimes I'm the passenger.
  • 1Sweet_lorite1Sweet_lorite Member Posts: 2
    I completely agree with Mark but also adding that the volume control on the steering wheel is what seems to be super sensitive. You don’t even think your touching it next thing you know there is a change in volume. It actually makes you change where you place your hands on the steering wheel, after you readjust the volume. Honda put to many controls on the left side. Maybe it’s just fat American fingers?? Not sure why they didn’t place volume on the back side of the steering wheel where the controls are located.