Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

How to remove gear shift knob on '10 Fusion w/ 3 pedals?

bryski6bryski6 Member Posts: 7
edited August 2016 in Ford
Just bought a car in West Central IL and want to tweak with a ski pole handle.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    No idea, but makes me wish I had a manual transmission again. :)

(And I even switched to the dark side back when I was in snow country).

Your knob may have splines instead of threads, meaning you would get something like a balljoint fork, stick it under the knob, and whack it. Be a bummer to whack it though and discover threads under there. Some heat may help get the old one off too.

Anyone?
  • Options
    Thanx guys but no threads. I twist left a full turn then right. It didn't tighten any? What are splines and how do I check for them?
  • Options
    Had more time last night and YES 20+ turns and its off! Well done guys. Thanx!
  • Options
    That sounds better than beating it with a hammer.

Please take a photo and post a pic of the new shift handle.
  • Options
    Problem now is can't find a nut to fit threads . Have tried 10mm x 1.00,1.25 and 1.50 pitch nothing fits?!? A friend suggested cutting the core out of OEM handle. Will check it out.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    This is turning out to be quite the project. I dunno though, I'd kind of want to save the original in case you wind up not liking the mod. May want to try a $11 one from Walmart. Or get a thread insert from eBay.
  • Options
    Simple! Wooden dowel bored 3/8 and it screwed on nicely. KISS should have been my 1st thought.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    lol, very cool.

Maybe you need to kludge the other one to replace the e-brake handle. Just don't grab the wrong one downshifting on a double black ess turn.
  • Options
    Thanx, Several red fusions in town . Don't know how many have a cool shifter but mine IS the only one with
    full moon caps.
  • Options
    Hm, no ski rack. Got short twin tips that fit inside with one of the split rear seats down?

Hey, no slush build-up in the rims with that set-up. My old Outback would pick up 40 pounds of ice in the rims.
  • Options
    The ski-rack fits on the window. Already did the field test. Photo coming soon