Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• myvwlemonmyvwlemon Member Posts: 14
    http://www.myvwlemon.com
    My great Jetta VR6!
  • dino59dino59 Member Posts: 1
    I went out looking at a few new cars and test drove them as well, specifically the Jetta 1.8 turbo, the Toyota Celica GTS, and a Honda Prelude. The Jetta would be my choice. But what has me worried is the way sales people are encouraging the customer to test drive these vehicles. I was told by the Toyota sales guy to "go ahead and bring it up to red line and fell the power" which I did not. Keep in mind this a brand new vehicle, it hasn't been broken-in properly and people are revving it to 8000 rpm. The vehicle was showing a few hundred miles and will probably log on a few more before being sold. Now if the new owner encounters engine noise possibly a knock at 4 or 5 thousand miles it most likely would have been due to those "test drives." Don't assume that the warranty will protect you as "myvwlemon" illustrated, and besides it's no fun constantly bringing your car back to the dealer for warranty work. Keep that in mind before you buy that high performance machine off the lot.
  • tonyc7tonyc7 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 96 GLX, Overall I have been very happy with it, I previously had a 89 gli and put over 100k miles on it.

When my warranty was up on the 96, one of the coils went, I was able to drive it on 4 cylinders (there is one coil for every 2 cyl.) It cost close to $500 to repair.

Aside from this, my check engine light comes on often. I had the oxygen sensor replaced (that was supposed to be the problem) and it still comes on, only now it is supposed to be the knock sensor. I think the computer is screwed up and is overly sensitive. This has been quite frustrating, but it is still a great car to drive and the power is fantastic.

As far as country of origin, my gli was from Wolfsburg Germany and my glx is from Mexico. I would say they are of equal quality.

Mexico got a bad rap early on due to poor build quality but I think (after firing management there) VW got the quality control in order.
  • jackmurphy2jackmurphy2 Member Posts: 2
    Aside from the fact that the 2000 GLX is an awesome car, I would recommend it because this top of the line car is not made in Mexico like the others below it. This model comes straight from Germany to the US ports, awaiting inspection, and then on to the dealer. It never makes it to Mexico. If you fear that drunken Hispanics are building your car, buy the GLX, and you'll see why this car is worth the extra $$$
  • wsommarivawsommariva Member Posts: 157
    The JETTA GLX is made in Germany? Check the driver's door plate to make sure.
  • ubrsubrs Member Posts: 2
    BEING A HISPANIC AND ALL, WE ALL KNOW THAT MEXICANS ARE LAZY. YEAH, THEY RECEIVE INSTRUCTIONS FROM GERMANY TO ASSEMBLE, BUT SAY FOR EXAMPLE THAT A SCREW NEEDS TO BE TIGHTEN OR SOMETHING IMPORTANT NEEDS TO BE CHECKED. IF IT IS SIESTA TIME, THAT IS PRIORITY NUMERO UNO. ARRIVA AMIGOS!!!
  • ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    Check your vin number. the first digit should indicate where it's made : 1XXXX.... is US, 2XXX..... Canada, JXXXX.... Japan etc....
  • silverflash1silverflash1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my 2000 GLX last month and I love it!! I have recommened it to all my friends who are in the market to buy a new car. I have compared it to my friend's 2000 BMW 540i and it has some of the same features, the dash is made of the same material and my stereo system sounds much better!!

I have noticed after 1500 miles that my gas mileage to and from work has gotten better. I finally figured out how to change my temp reading from Celsius to Fahrenheit. Just push your ECON and AUTO buttons at the same time on your climate control. Also, if you push your reset button on your right arm control once it will switch your readings on your dash to show total hours and minutes driven since you got the car. One problem that happend a week after I got it was that the rear speaker started to rattle. This only happens when ever there is certain type of bass in a song. I have yet to take it in and get it fixed. I was told from VW maintenance it is a loose rivit and not a blown speaker.

To reply to the country codes....3 is Mexico.
  • black_tulipblack_tulip Member Posts: 435
    My wife's Camry, which I am told is made in
    Georgetown, Kentucky, starts with 4T...
    So, 4 is US also?

On the other hand, My A4 starts with WAUD...

So I think Germany is W.
  • dejavu3dejavu3 Member Posts: 1
    I have 3000 miles on my 2000 Jetta GLS V6 auto. When I stay at 40mph, there is a noise comes from the front passager side. I took my car to the dealership, and they thought it was the front wheel bearing. However, it wasn't the bearing. Now they don't even know what is causing the noise. I am thinking of bring in my car to another dealership. But before I do that, I am wondering does anyone have the same scenario regarding to the noise?
  • cadgurucadguru Member Posts: 1
    I had a Mazda Millenia with a wheel bearing or Brake noise problem. After spending over 300 dollars of my own money and over 1800 dollars of the dealers money. We had replaced the wheel, the bearing, the brakes, the axle, the brake cover shield, and some other stuff. We still could not get rid of the noise.

About a month after we gave up, a friend of mine said hey, since your not using the dealer installed Cell phone why dont you take that whistling Cell antenna off you car.

Yes that's right, after all that, it was just a cell antenna.

See he was sitting in the back, a place no one ever sat before, and he could not only hear it but he could see it.

Just a good story and a caution to look for something simple before going through a bunch of heartache.

By the way it too was most obvious at around
    40 - 45 MPH.
  • toml34232toml34232 Member Posts: 4
    I have a new 2000 Jetta GLS TDI. The car makes a slight to moderate "screeching" sound when steering the car into turns. The steering wheel also has a slight bounce to it when turning. Has anyone else experienced this or is it normal for the car to make this sound? I have never had a car with this type of steering before and am just wondering if it is normal.

Other than that I have no problems with the car (yet-only 2500 miles) and am looking forward to many years of driving it.
    I would definitly say that you need an adjustment. I would take it in now and have the dealer fix it. Not normal.
    I took my Jetta TDI in to the dealer where I bought it and they took about 30 mins to figure out that it was low on steering fluid! I guess I should have known to check that myself but the car sounded that way from the first day I brought it home and since it was new I guess I just figured it was supposed to sound that way. New buyers better check their cars over better than I did. Just because the sales person says the car has been checked does not mean that it was! Beware!
    The dealers have a PDI list - pre delivery inspection. I would think that the check fluid levels are a part of it. Should not have been missed.

Did you find any sign of leaks? Why not check where you park for fluid spots and check the engine compartment.
    I talked to the dealer and asked if I should put a piece of cardboard down under the car to see if there is a leak but the dealer said that if there was a leak it would be "inside" and that the only way to tell is to bring the car in for service. I drove over 400 miles today and the steering is doing fine which leads me to believe that it may have been "overlooked" during the PDI. I'm going to keep my eye (and ear) on it but hopefully everything is fine. The car is a dream to drive.
    I don't think you'll have any more trouble. I've never heard of steering fluid leaking.

Since you have the TDI I have an interesting story. I was in Ireland a few years ago for a wedding. We borrowed someone's Passat. After driving it all day we stoped for gas - and we did indeed put a full tank of gas---------into the diesel car. We realized our mistake before we drove away. The car drove so well we had no idea it was diesel. Power, quiet, and no black or smelly smoke. VW diesels have come a long way. Good luck with it and enjoy it.
  • yelrucyelruc Member Posts: 1
    I'd appreciate any opinions on the '97 Jetta GL. I've just looked at, test drove and liked this car. It's got 69k miles and is clean. I've heard there may be a gearbox issue (this is automatic). Has anybody else heard or experienced this or any other major problem?

Thanks in advance,

Paddy
  • mprimusmprimus Member Posts: 2
    Just a quick commentary for those of you who are interested as I just picked up my new Jetta 1.8T. The black Jetta (with black velour interior) that I ordered which was "supposed" to come in any day now (yeh right!)was delayed for some time. So to make amends and speed things along my dealer gave me a 2000 jetta courtesy car until mine came in and offered to sell me a brand new silver Jetta with black leather interior (in place of the car I ordered) which some other guy had ordered and for some reason couldn't take delivery of. All I had to do with pay extra for the leather. I was a bit hesitant because I didn't much care for the leather and I kind of liked the velour in the courtesy car. BUT, I went for it anyways...and my suggestion to all of you out there trying to decide what trim level to go for on your new Jetta's: "GO FOR THE LEATHER!!!" It's soooooo nice and it completely MAKES the car! It's like a little BMW 3 series. I've heard reports that people slide around on the leather too much but I haven't noticed anything of the sort.
    Anyone, agree with me on this one?
    Almost same thing happened to me. Ordered my black/black velour Jetta and it came in with leather. After some thought I decided to take it and am very happy I did!! The leather is very nice....no sliding around - never heard that - it's the way to go.
  • mtownsendmtownsend Member Posts: 26
    I had a 97 Jetta automatic, had no problems with the gear shift. The problem started on the LEV models, I now have a 99.5 GTI it is horrible, only have 10,000 more miserable miles before it goes back. My advice buy the old shape or buy something else. The new model is over priced, totally over rated and a complete waste of money.
  • rhondavousrhondavous Member Posts: 1
    I keep reading all these comments from new Jetta VW owners who "love" their cars -- it sounds so familiar. I was saying the same things five years ago . . . I have a 1995 Jetta GLS. It has been NOTHING but headache and expense for the past two or three years. Everything possible has broken (I have only a mere 42,000 miles on it) from my sunroof to my AC Compressor to the seats to the electric windows to the ignition. . . the list is endless. I even stalled in the middle of a major intersection once (it just went dead) and have never been so upset in all my life -- until today when I found out my latest repair bill is $1200. (I am trading it in next week.) My local dealership has been arrogant, rude, blameless and downright mean. When I first got my Jetta, a girl I met in a retail outlet told me the woes of hers and I thought, "She just got a lemon. Mine is great!" She traded hers in within two years and boy was she right!!! I hope for your sake that the 2000 is indeed an improved model, but anyone considering buying an older model -- DO NOT DO IT!!!
  • tonyantonyan Member Posts: 10
    Don't you hate it when the monthly repair bill is more than the payment. I had a 95 Jetta also. A guy has started a site about his '99.

http://www.myvwlemon.com
  • hytailnhytailn Member Posts: 1
    I'm torn between jumping the VW ship and defecting to Japan, or taking a chance on the new Jetta GLX and waiting for the upcoming sport suspension with 17 inch wheels! Why? Well, here's an abbreviated list of my '97 GLX 5-spd's repair log with 66k highway miles (pampered, never pounded):
    - broken cam chain tensioner (16k,covered)
    -broken engine mount and bracket
    -both front wheel bearings
    -clutch throwout bearing (15k,covered)
    -broken cv joint (50k,covered)
    -water pump (50k,covered)
    -random misfires, check engine light on and off
    -ignition coil (45k)
    If it wasnt so much fun and so fast,it would be an easy decision...any headaches from new owners? Please advise! Debating in Chicago
  • gregj777gregj777 Member Posts: 67
    Again I say there are bad cars in every make and model. A coworker has the revered Honda Accord sedan (1999) and it has been in the shop quite a few times for the engine light coming on and things like that. Once they supposedly told him that the gas cap was making the engine light come on. I just had my 5000 service on my VR6 yesterday.... hope it continues going well.
    Well my 2000 GLS VR6 is perfect after 5,400 miles. I hope that VW got tired of paying for all these repairs under warranty and has finally made a car that will need no such repairs. My car is great. If after I experience what you have experienced, will I buy a new one? It depends on whether I believe the items are minor, or normal wear and tear occuring early.

My favorite car ever ownen - 87 SAAB. Most expensive to maintain car I've ever owner - 87 SAAB.

Most posts I've read on this car - the 99/00 are very favorable. Keeping in mind that they have low mileage.

What you experienced I believe is unaccepable. when you look at the new ones, see if the dealer will give you retail trade allowance. VW is trying hard to be good to customers. See if they put the $$ where the mouth is. If they give you retail trade in, buy a new one -as you said it's fun to drive. Won't find that in a Toyota.

Good luck - to you and all of us VW owners.
    My grammer above is poor.
  • lhedenborglhedenborg Member Posts: 4
    i am picking up my gls VR6 in a few weeks - any advice on break in procedures? or does anyone know of any sources on the topic? does the dealership cover this in depth when i pick up the car? i just want to make sure i do it right.

thanks in advance

lars
  • pat455pat455 Member Posts: 603
    Yes, your salesperson should explain to you in detail the break in procedures required. And you should not leave until you have that information. But you should also verify what you've been told by reading the owner's manual thoroughly.

There have been a number of posts in this topic about breaking in this car. There are a couple of ways you can go about looking for them. If you click on the "see all responses" choice at the top of the page under the topic name, all of the posts will load into your browser. This can take a few minutes, but then will allow you to read through all that has been discussed in this topic.

Another option is to click on the Search button at the bottom of the page. This will open a new window from which you can choose some search options. If you choose (from the left drop down box) "Responses in Current Topic", you can then enter any key word or phrase you want in the right box. I suggest you do two searches, one for "break-in" and one for "break in" (without the quotes). This will give you a list of specific post numbers in which the phrase is mentioned.

You can also find other recent purchasers of this car in our Sedans conference. You can easily find the Jetta topics in that conference by using the Topic Search feature on the left side of the page. Just key in Jetta and click Go.

There is also a general topic on vehicle break in here in Maintenance & Repair (#28), but I think this topic and possibly the ones in Sedans may be better references for you.

Of course, a very important reference will always be your owner's manual. :-)

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
    Many topics as noted above. I have a 2000 GLS VR6. Manual says to take it easy for 600 miles and gradually increase rpms through 1,000 miles. Also, from what I have read - do not take extended trips at a constant speed - say 55 mph. I actually kept my old car for an extra two weeks so I could take it on vacation and leave the VW at home.

Another important note: The first oil change is at 5,000 miles. NO LESS. You must keep the factory fill oil in for this period. This oil has special additives to help the engine break in correctly. In the olden days you changed the oil at 500 or 1,000 miles. NOT TODAY.

Enjoy the car. The first 1,000 miles is not fun - can't drive the car until you hit 1,001.
    Just thought I would give an update on my 99.5 GTI, it had the 20,000 mile service yesterday. VW and my dealer now refuse to do any more repairs on the car under warranty, they feel that they have spent enough on it. So now my outstanding issues remain, including a seat belt that dosn't work, it's been replaced twice before. I think they may have gone too far this time as this is a safety issue. Still cant't wait till I can afford to replace it.
    Don; tu have that 2 yr bumper to bumper and the big drive train warranty? How can they do that?!
  • ewhipewhip Member Posts: 6
    Get this - picked up my new Jetta 1.8T last night at 7pm, loved it until noon today when it completely crapped out on the highway. It was hesitating and cutting out - kind of like the feeling you get when you hit a rev-limiter on other cars. Took it to VW - they were helpful - but the service guy thinks the Turbo is shot. Anybody out there have a similar experience or at least an encouraging word for a new (nervous) Jetta owner?
    Go to www.vwvortex.com and post your problem. This site is VW only and has many knowledable people.

Wait and see what the problem is. Many problems are fixed by simply reprogramming a computer.

If it is the Turbo, I would think that they can easily put a new one in.

If it is a major problem, you have a good chance of getting a new car.
    Just thought I'd update the turbo situation on my new Jetta - picked it up today and it runs great. Dealer was very helpful and apologetic. I keep reading all of these people bashing their Jettas, and I can sympathize, but I just can't help liking this thing. Had a 2000 Mercury Cougar for six months before buying the Jetta, and I could fill a book with the things I hate about that car. But I won't. Thanks to "wsommariva" for the link - was helpful.
    What was wrong with it?
  • millersms1millersms1 Member Posts: 1
    I went to a VW dealer yesterday, interested in a 1.8T Jetta.

The sticker on this car stated $22625, with all the bells an whistles I desired (leather, sunroof, etc.). We got to the bargaining table, and the salesman threw an additional $1995 into the mix, by stating that this was " market adjustment". I went to the VW web site, and it says I can buy this car for $22625.

Is he trying to screw me, or is there a true shortage of these vehicles to allow for a Market adjustment on these vehicles? I could understand this on a Limited production vehicle, like a Vette, Porsche, or Jag( which could mean a lot higher mark-up),

but a Jetta?

Looks like additional dealer profit to me, in addition to the BS dealer prep/delivery charges that the dealerships are already reimbursed for, by the manufacturer. He could not explain to me what the Market Adjustment was for, even after he showed me 9 1.8T's on his lot! He told me it was based on the average of the last 10 sales in the area. So, I said, 10 people didn't do their homework, so that justifies the adjustment? Maybe I was harsh, but come on !

Any advice? I walked away, for now. I was willing to pay MSRP, but he, or the sales manager, wouldn't budge. Even MSRP would give them a $2000 profit, and that is not including any discounts/perks they already received. Are sales on VW's that bad?
  • pieceofjunkpieceofjunk Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Jetta with 800 miles on it and it stalled in the middle of a major intersection, it just went dead. I tried to re-start it ten times. But when it did, the engine check went on and it stayed on. I took this piece of s--- to the dealer the next day. The dealer found the fuel pump malfunctioned and fixed it. But the thing is, I have this brand new car for only 3 weeks and have a major problem already. This is my 13th car in my 30 years of driving and never had this problem with my other cars. Is anybody out there have the same problem that I had?
  • lee71lee71 Member Posts: 1
    I am planning to buy a new car. I have three choices 1) Honda 2) Nissan Altima 3) VW Jetta

My first choice is Jetta but i do not know whether to get the GLS 2.0 or 1.8T Anyone could advice will be appreciated.
  • gregj777gregj777 Member Posts: 67
    With nine of the babies on the lot I don't see how they can jack the price up. My advice would be to go to another dealer. I know the sales manager at the VW place here (Flow, Winston-Salem) and he just told me the other night over dinner with him and his wife that they are still scarce. I doubt he would jack the price up like the one you went to though, with his good inventory. I got a good deal on my VR6.

That said, I wouldn't want the turbo. Maybe it's just past stories I've heard working on me much in the same way as we have always been told to change oil at 3000 miles yet we don't really need to, but I've always heard turbos develop problems more often than normally-aspirated engines because of their nature. I guess it does get a little better mileage than my VR6, but the 6 is an older engine that should have the bugs worked out by now (I hope) whereas the T is still fairly new. I drove an Altima for a day while a part for my Jetta was being put on and it drove like a '70's Ford. The Honda is just too plain and common (not that plain and common is a bad thing, I'm just not going to pay $20K+ for those attributes in a car!) That's my 2 cents worth.
    I live in New England, there are more 1.8T's on the dealer lot than they know what to with. Don't pay dealer markup, it is a waste of your money. When you come to trade the car,you won't get back the dealer profit, this is just greed.
    VW turbo engines need oil changes every 5,000 vs 10,000 for no turbo models, VW will cover all services for the first 24,000 miles. The turbo engine is the one to go for if you really want the Jetta. Turbos are reliable especially LPT models.
    From my experience of VW's they used to make a good reliable product, now they just make good profit. My 99.5 will be the last VW ever, the car is trash, customer service sucks and warrany items are only honored until VW feels that they have spent enough on the car.
    I am getting nowhere with the dealer or VW to resolve a long list of problems with the car.
    By the way every time I visit the dealer (that's a lot) I always see a jetta with a window held in with tape. From my experience the window will fall out and you will wait 3 weeks for parts to arrive from Germany. Then the car will progressively get more and more problems, until you are so frustrated, you will just trade the car to get rid of it.
    I wouldn't classify a car as crap if a fuel pump goes at 800 miles. I would classify the fuel pump as crap and the quality control putting it together as crap. Give the car a chance and it may turn out to be a great car, I hope it does.
    get the 1.8t. It's been on the a4 for ages. So it's good stuff. Lighter too. And for 500bux you can chip it up to 200hp. easily handing the vr6 a good spanking.

peice of junk: It's unfortunate that it happened. But if I were to just get a new car for a coupla weeks, a problem like that would really piss me off too.
    the turbo was bad. the dealer replaced it in a day and gave me a rental in the meantime. drove my 1.8T all weekend and love it. while i'm here, does anyone have an opinion on the "sport suspension" package from VW or on quality aftermarket wheels for the Jetta? i would like to personalize it a little - but tastefully, and with quality parts.
    Also for "millersms1", my dealer was pretty tight on price - I had to pay a little under list, but they threw in the six disc changer. there were other 1.8's on the lot, but they were all white, which I didn't want. personally i feel that any dealer that marks a car up over list is really trying to put it to you. just my opinion...
    Get this, if your are having a problem with your Volkswagen, VW say they will only fix it, if they consider it to be serious. So if your car lurches when changing gear, or the steering clonk's at low speed, or your car drinks oil, or your seat belt dosn't work, or your interior blower vibrates the brake pedal. Then your car is working to manufacturers specification and will not be fixed under warranty.
    So you think this information came from a bad dealer, yes they told me this , but it was confirmed by a senior customer service person in Auburn Hills, MI.

Now, if a car goes wrong once that could be considered unlucky, twice is getting annoying but by the tenth time this is a crap car, but again VW have the answer just ignore it, after all everyone else is having the same problem so it must be normal.
    Maybe VW has so many problems (minor) ones that they can only handle the major ones so that it will not clog up their repair shops?! That's stupid! A bumper to bumper warranty should cover every imperfection! I had a small rubber tear on my side mirror (frameless door) and I brought it back to my Scooby dealer, without hesitation, they replaced the entire rubber casing under warranty! I hope this issue is different from each VW dealership!
  • sithdadsithdad Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a '90 Jetta GLi w/ 84k mi. I used to drive an 87 Quantum w/90k mi, but the oil pump and bearings went and I wasnt gonna pay something like $1500 to fix it. I like VW's but I am wondering about this car. Anyone heard anything about these cars? Any help would he hot!
  • passatloverpassatlover Member Posts: 1
    For "Confused" in #364, get a 1.8t! I have it in a Passat and absolutely love all 15,000 miles that I've put on it so far. It has a lot more aftermarket accessories out there than the V6 from folks like Neuspeed, and can be chipped and turboed up much more powerfully than the V6. It's economical, a lot cheaper (even with the chip and bigger turbo), and lots of fun! The Passat is bigger and heavier than the Jetta, so I'm guessing you'll enjoy the 1.8t in your Jetta even more.
  • myvwlemonmyvwlemon Member Posts: 14
    Jetta has 230+ problems per 100 cars.
    New air leaks from sunroof.
    www.myvwlemon.com
    .....www.vwvortex.com for a more complete picture of VWs.